Skating Moves You Don't Like? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Skating Moves You Don't Like?

sc8

On the Ice
1) The A spin (more affectionately referred to as the butt spin) it's hideous and unfortunately it's gaining popularity. I don't care how 'great the butt looks', there is not aesthetically pleasing about your butt being the highest body part.

2) Not sure what the name is - but it's a sit spin where the skater is completely compact at the ground, like a ball - it's like the opposite of the hyper-flexible spins, it's a spin for non-flexible people.

3) moves where the raised foot is bent back - I've seen Evgenia do it for spiral sequence and spins - it's unattractive

Yes to 1
Yes to 2
Not sure what 3 looks like

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Oh yes the half loop jump combo, I just never liked it from the beginning. I'd rather see skaters do a 3-2-2 or a 3-3-2.

And also for those who failed at doing a classic arabesque spiral:noshake:, just don't do it if you don't the flexibility. And I don't know why I don't really like the Y spiral. Also I prefer a skid spiral done with a TRUE skid instead of doing a 3 turn (Medvedeva comes into my head), and catch-foot spiral (not a biellman spiral), oh my gosh...those catch-foot spirals...

Kinga

Medalist
I despise most of the "show your flexibility" spins. They don't look beautiful, and they show flexibility, not skating skill. This includes any type split position spin, the Biellmann, and any blade to head haircutter.

These are ugly, and do not show skating skill-they show flexibility.

:agree:Very very true!!! Whoppee! You can lift your leg over head and around and back front so you look like a pretzel. But can we get back to figure skating now??
I am not sure if I agree. Yes, when these spins are poorly done, it is not pleasent to watch. But why not showcase your flexibility during your spin, if you can do it right? Does that really have anything to do with skating skills? I mean, isn't it difficult to spin in those positions? It would be so boring if everyone spun in the basic positions all the time. Plus, I think that some of the 'flexible' moves could be really attracttive and lift the whole program if done to the music.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The frustrating thing right now in skating is that there are a lot of things that truly are striking and beautiful when done well/ when done by people who can actually do it but because it gets a 'level' now everyone is doing it, whether they actually look good doing it or in some cases even whether they actually can do it or not- i spins, bielmans, even charlotte spirals (though these don't get a level so I don't know why people who can't actually really hit the position keep trying them) all come into this category. Give me a good, real, well executed bielman or i spin from someone who actually has the flexibility to do it all day long, but to see these painful, sputtering, struggling attempts is really disheartening and truly does ruin moves that would otherwise be very lovely.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Speaking of moves I hate. I want to know who is responsible for adding the "Hand Change" Death Spiral to Pairs?. I absolutely despise this move. Oh yeah, does anyone know how many times "East Of Eden" has been used? I completely forgot that Denney and Coughlin used it for their short program. Anyway, I consider John to be a great pairs skater due to his height, strength, and ability to jump as well as he does. He also has excellent posture and if HE can't look good during this C O H Spiral, I think it needs to go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5-5yJojWQ

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I looove spins. I love them more than jumps. So an ugly spin for me is :sad21:

I am going to agree with the excellent points above, and add:

1. I don't watch ladies' skating much, but is it the Ispin, where they stand straight and yank their ankle up to their ear? Which proves exactly what? That a 15 or 16 year old girl is flexible? Stop the presses! The position is ugly. It is not impressive and shows no particular athletic skill. Negative GOE!

2. Butt spins. I have no idea what this is supposed to show. That you can twirl around with your butt in the air? Again, stop the presses! Negative GOE!

3. Bielmanns. I remember seeing Denise Bielmann do a Bielmann for the first time. I thought to myself, I have never seen such a fugly spin (we didn't have the word fugly then, substitute), I'm not impressed that she can grab her skate and pull it over her head, and thank God it will never catch on. :slink: Negative GOE!

Spinning like Tim Dolensky, Jason Brown or Josh Farris: positive GOE! (And although a Jason uber, I'm not crazy about the catchfoot. I am consistent, at least;))

butt ;)

jimini

On the Ice
Speaking of moves I hate. I want to know who is responsible for adding the "Hand Change" Death Spiral to Pairs?. I absolutely despise this move. Oh yeah, does anyone know how many times "East Of Eden" has been used? I completely forgot that Denney and Coughlin used it for their short program. Anyway, I consider John to be a great pairs skater due to his height, strength, and ability to jump as well as he does. He also has excellent posture and if can't look good during this
C O H Spiral, I think it needs to go. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb5-5yJojWQ
The change of hand feature got removed as a level within the last few seasons, so you don't really see it anymore. Death spirals got much better after that!

From this season's Scale of Values:
"Change of arm hold by the Lady or Man is allowed, but is no longer a Level feature."

mrrice

Record Breaker

I'm going to have to find Eman's Butt Spin. He was another Canadian who skated badly when I saw him at Worlds in 2001. This was the first time I had really seen him and he looked like a Backstreet Boy. So young and innocent looking. Anyway, my point is, Eman had a good butt spin. BRB

I FOUND IT!!. If you're over 40, you'll remember those bumper stickers from the 70's. Anyway, Emanuel Sandhu has THE BEST butt spin for one very simple reason. Unlike most skaters, who grab across their body at their calve or shin. Eman grabs the bottom of his skate which takes a ton of flexibility and may be the reason most Men don't copy his version. It is IMO, the only acceptable Butt Spin I know of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSV7VdHEQs

Last edited:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
This thread is interesting. :) I don't particularly hate a certain move (even butt spins can look beautiful when done with grace) but I don't like elements/moves that aren't executed well or just done for points and/or to make the program look busy.

I'm not a fan of illusion spins and turns that aren't well done or well timed (like Anna P's illusion spin and Evgenia's illusion turn in her stsq )

Cannonball sit spin with the leg not so parallel to the ice (or bent) like Liza's.

Open-mouthed skating and jazz hands all throughout the program.

Transitions for the sake of having a transition even if it has nothing to do with the program.

Imbalanced arm movements (windmill and noodle arms; helicopter Tanos).

__+half loop+___ combos that most of the time look like the skater tripped or had a step out.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
The change of hand feature got removed as a level within the last few seasons, so you don't really see it anymore. Death spirals got much better after that!

From this season's Scale of Values:
"Change of arm hold by the Lady or Man is allowed, but is no longer a Level feature."

Thank Gawd!!! Did you watch that video I posted? It's an ugly, ugly move.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yup... awesome butt spin
I going to have find Eman's Butt Spin. He was another Canadian who skated badly when I saw him at Worlds in 2001. This was the first time I had really seen him and he looked like a Backstreet Boy. So young and innocent looking. Anyway, my point is, Eman a good butt spin. BRB

I FOUND IT!!. If you're over 40, you'll remember those bumper stickers from the 70's. Anyway, Emanuel Sandhu has THE BEST butt spin for one very simple reason. Unlike most skaters, who grab across their body at their calve or shin. Eman grabs the bottom of his skate which takes a ton of flexibility and may be the reason most Men don't copy his version. It is IMO, the only acceptable Butt Spin I know of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSV7VdHEQs

so the issue is not the butt spin itself, nor the biellmann ... the issue is

when a skater doesn't do a move justice...

I dislike illusion spin but when it's lucinda ruh doing it... well... i love it ;)

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
yup... awesome butt spin

so the issue is not the butt spin itself, nor the biellmann ... the issue is

when a skater doesn't do a move justice...

I dislike illusion spin but when it's lucinda ruh doing it... well... i love it ;)

KABOOM!!!!!!! 100% Correct.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Eman grabs the bottom of his skate which takes a ton of flexibility and may be the reason most Men don't copy his version. It is IMO, the only acceptable Butt Spin I know of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOSV7VdHEQs

Misha Ge also grabs his boot on his

https://youtu.be/Re2zg0iOtnc?t=249
I can handle his much better i think he is more stretched out or something. This is not the best example... but it was the first i found that did not do weird camera stuff for that spin.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Misha Ge also grabs his boot on his

https://youtu.be/Re2zg0iOtnc?t=249
I can handle his much better i think he is more stretched out or something. This is not the best example... but it was the first i found that did not do weird camera stuff for that spin.

Oh Misha.............My child. He and Joshua Farris are my two favorite skaters and they both have had to deal with so much this year. I hope the future will be bright for both of these great young skaters.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The frustrating thing right now in skating is that there are a lot of things that truly are striking and beautiful when done well/ when done by people who can actually do it but because it gets a 'level' now everyone is doing it, whether they actually look good doing it or in some cases even whether they actually can do it or not- i spins, bielmans, even charlotte spirals (though these don't get a level so I don't know why people who can't actually really hit the position keep trying them) all come into this category. Give me a good, real, well executed bielman or i spin from someone who actually has the flexibility to do it all day long, but to see these painful, sputtering, struggling attempts is really disheartening and truly does ruin moves that would otherwise be very lovely.

Tulosai, that's pretty much how I feel. It's all to get an extra level whether you can do the move well or not. It's ruining the beauty of skating.

Pouncer, YES!! "Baby Got Back!!!" LOL

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I hate when a skater tap the ice with toe several times in a row, as you can see in Shuma Uno and perhaps Marin Honda. It makes a skater look very cocky or unnecessarily playful.