Stolbova/Klimov vs. Volosozhar/Trankov | Golden Skate

Stolbova/Klimov vs. Volosozhar/Trankov

QuadThrow

Medalist
It is a hard choice. But I prefer S/K.

V/T skate very good as a pair. High speed, very good body interaction. They are a real couple and every element is well defined and with the maximum of power.

S/K are real artists. Brave, strong and big SBS jumps. They are progessive and I am really excited to see their programs the next two years. I like the cool atmosphere who is between them. She is a spectacular interpretator.

TatiMax

On the Ice
It is a hard choice. But I prefer S/K.

V/T skate very good as a pair. High speed, very good body interaction. They are a real couple and every element is well defined and with the maximum of power.

S/K are real artists. Brave, strong and big SBS jumps. They are progessive and I am really excited to see their programs the next two years. I like the cool atmosphere who is between them. She is a spectacular interpretator.

Thanks for your opinion.

Is Fyodor a good match to Ksenia? Can he upgrade their lifts? It seems like she is better than him by a mile, how can he match her level?
I think what makes T/V golden is that they are a good match as a pair team. (sport related).

- - - Updated - - -

Can they take the gold medal in 2018?

QuadThrow

Medalist
Thanks for your opinion.

Is Fyodor a good match to Ksenia? Can he upgrade their lifts? It seems like she is better than him by a mile, how can he match her level?
I think what makes T/V golden is that they are a good match as a pair team. (sport related).

- - - Updated - - -

Can they take the gold medal in 2018?

I do not like to talk about 2018. There are two years left and we all do not know what will happen till then. All pairs can be injuried and the elements are so hard and risky that it can be a match for all pairs at this special day - including savchenko/massot and even Tarasova/Morozov.

I like Fedor very much. There are some girls who shine very bright (Ksenia and Aljona). And this type of women need partner´s who are much more calm and reserved. Robin made it very nice in the past.

S/K´s lift are not that strong. But IMO the lifts are not the most important thing in pairs. The throws and jumps are the crackers. Since Quads are not allowed at the SP, PCS and GOE in the SP is really important, too.

TatiMax

On the Ice
I do not like to talk about 2018. There are two years left and we all do not know what will happen till then. All pairs can be injuried and the elements are so hard and risky that it can be a match for all pairs at this special day - including savchenko/massot and even Tarasova/Morozov.

I like Fedor very much. There are some girls who shine very bright (Ksenia and Aljona). And this type of women need partner´s who are much more calm and reserved. Robin made it very nice in the past.

S/K´s lift are not that strong. But IMO the lifts are not the most important thing in pairs. The throws and jumps are the crackers. Since Quads are not allowed at the SP, PCS and GOE in the SP is really important, too.

I agree with you, they have almost every thing except high level lifts.
I don't like quad-throws though (sorry). Junior girls get injured by it so they don't train it, and seniors would have to train it at later age which also makes them injured. It is a lose/lose situation.

I like T/V obviously but I think their bodies starting to fail them :( This is why I find it strange that S/K won't try to beat them at worlds, I don't want S/K to beat T/V but I want to see a good competition between both teams. In 2013/2014 T/V was flying above all other teams there was no competition whatsoever. Now that S/K are starting to rise I would like to watch a real competition between both teams at their best!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If S and K want to be more competitive besides quads yes they can work on their lifts. if they max out there they can be more competitive. I do think Sui and Han are a bit generic. I find that with the Chinese pairs - the top teams in the last year look similar and their other good teams have that creepy old guy young gir look. I do think V and T need to improve - technically or do something really artistic that they can shine - they are a bit stagnant - beautiful but you have to grow as they are no G and G - that is a rarity. You must grow and develop if you are around for a while:)

lyndichee

Medalist
Currently I still prefer V/T but I think S/K have much more potential to grow. Ksenia outshines Fedor so much for me. I would love to see them compete head to head though I think in the back of my mind my bias is with Kavaguti/Smirnov. Though I would have to agree even before Yuko's injury they were likely the weakest of the 3.

On the topic of Sui/Han, artistry definitely needs improvement and I don't think Lori Nichol is the right investment for the pair. Chinese fed seem to love her and I don't see the appeal at all in their programs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I like V/T more. I think S/K are simply too mechanical and their programs are dull compared to their past programs. V/T on the other hand have vibrant, contrasting programs and are still superior in every aspect save for SBS jumps (which frankly, aren't necessarily a leg up S/K have until they can prove to do it consistently and fully rotated).

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
S/K of course. But that could be my bias speaking 'cause I've followed them since 2010. I do like Maxim Trankov a lot, but v/t as a pair leave me cold.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
S/K free program...if skated like at GPF. Tat and Max have the better short program (StolKlim's SP is not good). Their free program though, how they skated at GPF, was incredible. Spellbinding. However, Tat and Max stepped it up choreographically with this free skate. There's a lot of transitional movements well-matched to the music that highlights their line, their nuance and finesse is unmatched, and the lift positions are incredible.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
S&K is my favorite couple in recent years. They really did overhaul their style and upgraded their technical content. Their unprecedented absence from last Worlds meant that they had to give up a potential World medal. They were willing sacrifice that in order to gain more time to upgrade their programs. There are many things they're doing that's original and unprecedented. A very gutsy and dedicated couple. I think by now it's safe to say that the classical Russian style epitomized by G&G is no longer the style since the god-awful COP system's inception. But S&K will make it up with interesting programs that are more focused on modern dance styles.

andromache

Record Breaker
Kavaguti/Smirnov have the best material of all the Russian teams. :p

But anyway, going to have to go with V/T. I like their Bollywood SP a lot. While I think S/K have the more sophisticated LP (it really is a masterpiece), they just don't have the chemistry to carry it off as well as I"d like them to.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Kavaguti/Smirnov have the best material of all the Russian teams. :p

But anyway, going to have to go with V/T. I like their Bollywood SP a lot. While I think S/K have the more sophisticated LP (it really is a masterpiece), they just don't have the chemistry to carry it off as well as I"d like them to.
The Bollywood still needs more polish imo. I love their big elements, especially that gorgeous twist, but that not-so-mirrored step sequence was kinda bad and messy. Now I don't expect pairs skaters to have the level of complexity and details in footwork, but the step sequence's choreo is not crisp/intricate enough for me.

I feel Fedor needs a different FS costume. Whatever he ha now looks like something he threw on quickly to pick up some snacks at a nearby convenient store. :laugh:

That said, I still give V/T the edge. They have more of that "traditional Russian" pairs look that I don't see in S/K. Hopefully we can avoid the 1994 Olys FS senario, and have it all come down to which team execute their programs better.

TatiMax

On the Ice
Now, that both have been announced to participate in world's can't wait to see this competition.