2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Another thing..... i really really really hope they don't have those terrible clapping things there that they had for finlandia trophy..! Omg they sound terrible! Ruin the mood and it sounds like people who have no ear for music clapping. And very lazily.. I might have to scream in the middle of someone's program to people to stop doing it.. lol just kidding.. But i still don't understand why anyone thinks it's a good idea...
I don't mind the sound they make... and I guess they're good for people wearing gloves, who still want to applaud - audibly. (I actually considered picking one up myself for that reason, although I didn't in the end - just left my gloves off. I like that clapping with my own hands feels more "personal" :-D).

My issue with them is more how people use them - they tend to be banged closer to your ears than bare-hands-clapping would... or even on the back of your seat...! And they have a fanning effect which may not be welcome in a cold arena... o_O

Last edited:

supsu

On the Ice
I don't mind the sound they make... and I guess they're good for people wearing gloves, who still want to applaud - audibly. (I actually considered picking one up myself for that reason, although I didn't in the end - just left my gloves off. I like that clapping with my own hands feels more "personal" :-D).

My issue with them is more how people use them - they tend to be banged closer to your ears than bare-hands-clapping would... or even on the back of your seat...! And they have a fanning effect which may not be welcome in a cold arena... o_O

Yes, the sound is fine for me. At least watching from tv. I guess they want the quiet finnish audience to be noisier or something like that. I just hate it that they started clapping in the middle of programs even in quiet sensitive emotional moments.. annd it sounds really out of rhyhm too..

supsu

On the Ice
I actually saw a report about that sort of thing just last week. Apparently many providers do that now, and usually the offers/prices you get to see on your phone or tablet aren't as good as the ones you get to see on your computer. Basically they assume that if you look for something on your tablet/phone, then you're maybe in a hurry or something and are therefore more likely to just click on any offer they throw your way. But if you take the time to actually sit down at your computer, then you may be a really picky customer who compares prices and such, and so they show you the better/cheaper offers. (no guarantee that this is actually true, but according to that report it's never a bad idea to check these offers from different devices, and preferably from a computer as well)

That actually does make sense i guess.. thanks! The airbnb places are fewer every day.. but i guess new ones will show up later cause it's still pretty far away for renters who need to know their schedules. :dance2:

Bad news :biggrin: I asked someone before we left from Finlandia, and they said they will definitely try to get them for Worlds as well.
Sigh :curse:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I just hate it that they started clapping in the middle of programs even in quiet sensitive emotional moments.. annd it sounds really out of rhyhm too..
Ah, there is that. But, if you have an audience that's mad-keen on "clap-alongs"... it will be loud and inappropriate and off the rhythm regardless of whether they use their bare hands or those cardboard clappers... :p

Rissa

Record Breaker
Is there only the automatic option left? The seating map doesn't appear anymore.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Is there only the automatic option left? The seating map doesn't appear anymore.
it's been like that for a couple of days now. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or a computer glitch or if they tried to take out the seating map and the computer glitched it in from time to time. Because the map appears for the practice session on Monday morning, the ladies SP and the gala; and also for all-event 9 balcony 2, but then I only get the map but no tickets to buy :roll9: it's a bit weird.

supsu

On the Ice
Ah, there is that. But, if you have an audience that's mad-keen on "clap-alongs"... it will be loud and inappropriate and off the rhythm regardless of whether they use their bare hands or those cardboard clappers... :p

:scard7: :tantrum: :ddevil: :scard7:

FSforlife

Spectator
Hi everyone!

I'm new to GS (first time posting) and I'm so confused by the Helsinki tickets.... Are they all randomly assigned now? I know that I really want to go to the men's and ladies' FS and ice dance FD, but I have no idea what seats are good (what on earth is the difference between ice level 1 and 2??? which blocks are better?) I should have done this ages ago but I hadn't even thought I'd be allowed to go until a couple of weeks ago...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
(what on earth is the difference between ice level 1 and 2??? which blocks are better?)

For a rough indication, look no further than here:
http://www.helsinki2017.com/tickets (scroll all the way down, there is a color-coded map there of the ice rink). Red areas are ice level 1, blue areas are ice level 2.

The best blocks are arguably 108 and 109, with 107 and 110 a good second, because those are low and on the judges' side, but (and this is a big BUT), most of those seats were never actually released to the public, I think. And then probably the seats directly opposite the judges, 117 through 120.

If you try and buy tickets now on the ice level 1, you're probably likely to get a seat in area 115 or so, I guess... whatever is left at this point. I think a lot of seats are already sold, or reserved for tour companies, or for VIPs.

khughes

On the Ice
Hi everyone!

I'm new to GS (first time posting) and I'm so confused by the Helsinki tickets.... Are they all randomly assigned now? I know that I really want to go to the men's and ladies' FS and ice dance FD, but I have no idea what seats are good (what on earth is the difference between ice level 1 and 2??? which blocks are better?) I should have done this ages ago but I hadn't even thought I'd be allowed to go until a couple of weeks ago...

I'm echoing Winnie, but that said, I think they have rows near the ice in 115 so they will be quite decent seats. And the lucky thing about buying now is you can choose exactly which events you want to go to. Many of us on this thread got an all-event ticket, as that was the only thing available until recently, and I am not myself super interested in pairs.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Hi everyone!

Ice Level 1 seats are closer to the ice. I can't say that I fully understand on what basis they decided what is Ice Level 1 and what's Ice Level 2. In sections 117-120, Ice Level 2 doesn't start before row 16, but in some parts of these sections all seats are Ice Level 1. In the corners, Ice Level 1 also seems to go up to row 15. On the short side Ice Level 1 goes up to row 10, I think.

For most events you don't get to choose your seat anymore (who knows why :rolleye: ) but if you click on e.g. the Monday morning practice or the gala, you can still have a look at the seating plan.
You may also find this here helpful. If you get an assigned seat, this map should show you where that seat would be.

... and I am not myself super interested in pairs.
couldn't you just try to sell the pairs tickets if you don't want to go? :)

khughes

On the Ice
Ice Level 1 seats are closer to the ice. I can't say that I fully understand on what basis they decided what is Ice Level 1 and what's Ice Level 2. In sections 117-120, Ice Level 2 doesn't start before row 16, but in some parts of these sections all seats are Ice Level 1. In the corners, Ice Level 1 also seems to go up to row 15. On the short side Ice Level 1 goes up to row 10, I think.

For most events you don't get to choose your seat anymore (who knows why :rolleye: ) but if you click on e.g. the Monday morning practice or the gala, you can still have a look at the seating plan.
You may also find this here helpful. If you get an assigned seat, this map should show you where that seat would be.

couldn't you just try to sell the pairs tickets if you don't want to go? :)

Thanks, Parmigena, I have thought about that. I probably would go to the pairs lp, so I would only want to sell pairs sp. I might post about it nearer the time, or see if there is anyone interested actually over at the arena. It might be the opening event, though, combined with some kind of opening ceremony. Anyway if you hear of anyone wanting tickets (2), let me know.

Pamigena

Record Breaker
... I would only want to sell pairs sp. ... It might be the opening event, though, combined with some kind of opening ceremony.
Well, yes, that would probably be the case :) the ticket I've got says "Grand Opening and Pairs Short Program" and that's also what they sell on lippu.fi. So I supposed you'd have to sacrifice the opening ceremony if you want to sell that SP ticket.
You can always try the For Sale section in the forum if in the end you decide that you want to sell parts of your ticket ;)

Rissa

Record Breaker
I have a question to those who have been to the Hartwall arena:

Are there any lockers or a place where I could leave a small suitcase? The flight I'm planning to book is fairly shortly after the Gala (2 hours 45 mins after the gala, assuming the Gala takes no more than 3 hours) and so I will have to take my carry-on suitcase with me so that I could leave for the airport right after the event. Will I be allowed to take the suitcase inside? I haven't been able to find any information about it on the arena website.

TMC

Record Breaker
I have a question to those who have been to the Hartwall arena:

Are there any lockers or a place where I could leave a small suitcase? The flight I'm planning to book is fairly shortly after the Gala (2 hours 45 mins after the gala, assuming the Gala takes no more than 3 hours) and so I will have to take my carry-on suitcase with me so that I could leave for the airport right after the event. Will I be allowed to take the suitcase inside? I haven't been able to find any information about it on the arena website.

I'm not sure about the arena, but I doubt that they have lockers for the public to use. I don't see why they wouldn't allow a carry-on since they allow backpacks? Although who knows what the rules are in this day and age...they may change at any time. However, the Pasila railway station is just 5 minutes away (walking) and they have lockers. All trains stop at Pasila, so you can take your train to the airport there :)

red cat

Rinkside
I took my suitcase (a small one ) with me in 2009 and went after the gala to the airport. I can not remember if there are lockers at the arena.

Last edited:

finallyaxel

Spectator
Hi khughes,

I know you haven't yet decided, but if you go for selling your pairs freeskate, PM me. I'd be interested.