2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Lookin' good! Although 6.30 am will be a bit too early for me. :noshake:
Hm. Get there at 6:30am? I'd have to get up at 5:00 - 5:30am to have time to get ready, have breakfast and get to the arena. It's not going to happen...!

I will be going to practices, just not that early (pity those poor skaters!). No matter who is practicing at that time, staying in bed an extra couple of hours is going to win. Especially since there are so many competitors at World's - the days will be loooong and tiring...! I have to "pace" myself!

Plus, I don't think I can even get breakfast that early at my hotel - and it's important to start the day with a good breakfast! :-D (And besides - since I'm paying for breakfast, I am determined to eat it! :-D)

Last edited:

khughes

On the Ice
What airlines have any of you used for tickets? Have any of you traveled with Icelandair before?

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I have decided to go to Worlds as there are still tickets left for the balcony and the flight tickets are quite cheap (which was a temptation, haha!). But I have only recently started to organize the trip, and I still don't have the tickets.

My only question is now that how good is the public transport connection from the arena to the city centre, or even to other parts of the city?

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
My only question is now that how good is the public transport connection from the arena to the city centre, or even to other parts of the city?
Public transport in Helsinki is quite good. At least I've never had any trouble to get where I wanted to go. Depending on how long you're staying and how much you want to use public transport, you can look into getting a day ticket.
You can get to the arena (or rather to Pasila station, which is the nearest stop and about 10 minutes to walk) by commuter train, tram or bus. Depending on what you use, the ride takes about 5-30 minutes from the main train station/city center. If you already know where you're staying, you can look up possible connections here.

TMC

Record Breaker
There's some info on the website: http://www.helsinki2017.com/event/venue

Scroll down to THIS IS HOW YOU REACH THE ARENA

If you don't mind the 10-minute walk, I'd recommend taking the train. It takes about 5 minutes and since all trains stop at Pasila you'll never have to wait for long.

@waxel, the Crowne Plaza is about 10 minutes from the railway station. So it would take you 10 + 5 + 10 mins to get to the arena.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Public transport in Helsinki is quite good. At least I've never had any trouble to get where I wanted to go. Depending on how long you're staying and how much you want to use public transport, you can look into getting a day ticket.
You can get to the arena (or rather to Pasila station, which is the nearest stop and about 10 minutes to walk) by commuter train, tram or bus. Depending on what you use, the ride takes about 5-30 minutes from the main train station/city center. If you already know where you're staying, you can look up possible connections here.

There's some info on the website: http://www.helsinki2017.com/event/venue

Scroll down to THIS IS HOW YOU REACH THE ARENA

If you don't mind the 10-minute walk, I'd recommend taking the train. It takes about 5 minutes and since all trains stop at Pasila you'll never have to wait for long.

Thank you very much for the useful informations and links! :agree:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
We're staying at the Crowne Plaza- not sure how far it is from the arena. I understand HI is very close.

Holiday Inn is indeed conveniently close. It's not that I'd mind a bit of a walking trek but the idea of jostling for public transport late at night with the crowds coming out all at the same time - just no, I'm not a people person in those circumstances! I do intend to take the train into the city centre every now and then though, we must find a decent venue for merriment!

beaver09

Spectator
I tried to purchase on the official ticket vendor, but failed to make payments using American credit cards. It's so ridiculous that they don't accept oversea credit cards on lippu? How did ppl from other countries pay? I tried different cards, none of them work with Lippu.

Nattou

Rinkside
I tried to purchase on the official ticket vendor, but failed to make payments using American credit cards. It's so ridiculous that they don't accept oversea credit cards on lippu? How did ppl from other countries pay? I tried different cards, none of them work with Lippu.

I had the same problem.
After you enter your credit/debit card information (Step 3: Payment type), it'll take you to Step 4: Verification, where there's a small window saying credit/debit card is being verified by your bank, or something like that. Then it'll automatically jump to the Confirmation page, where you do your final click to purchase the ticket. The issue right here is after that "card being verified" page and before you get to the Confirmation page, you're supposed to fill out a simple form again about your bank information (CCV number, last 4 digits of SSN, EXP day, zip code). Somehow that step was totally skipped. If it is skipped, the site will tell you there was an error. You have to fill out the final verification form before you get to Confirmation page.

What I did is I tried different computers until it worked. You can't imagine how many times I tried on both my laptop and PC. Now I'm still trying to buy tickets for Ladies' Short. It's ridiculous.

Nattou

Rinkside

I had the same problem.
After you enter your credit/debit card information (Step 3: Payment type), it'll take you to Step 4: Verification, where there's a small window saying credit/debit card is being verified by your bank, or something like that. Then it'll automatically jump to the Confirmation page, where you do your final click to purchase the ticket. The issue right here is after that "card being verified" page and before you get to the Confirmation page, you're supposed to fill out a simple form again about your bank information (CCV number, last 4 digits of SSN, EXP day, zip code). Somehow that step was totally skipped. If it is skipped, the site will tell you there was an error. You have to fill out the final verification form before you get to Confirmation page.

What I did is I tried different computers until it worked. You can't imagine how many times I tried on both my laptop and PC. Now I'm still trying to buy tickets for Ladies' Short. It's ridiculous.

Try it on mobile. I used my phone and it worked. I don't understand, but yeah... :-|

Last edited:

mayfran

Rinkside
Try it on mobile. I used my phone and it worked. I don't understand, but yeah... :-|

I had the same problem when I purchased my Gala ticket. (It was ok when I purchased All Event tickets)
I contacted my credit card company and they told me transaction never reached to my credit card company.
I went through two different credit company and both had the same answer, foreign issued credit cards are probably blocked by the site.

Then I emailed to Lippu customer service and got a reply mail the next day.
Yes, their system is blocking some foreign issued credit cards but they checked the history of my attempt for purchasing ticket and put my card on their secure list.
After I received the mail, I went back to the site and successfully purchased a ticket.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yes, I knew it. When I am able to buy tickets finally, after knowing to have possibility get free from work that week, all good places and all all event places are sold. Well, I will go to see pairs and men's sp. There are some ice level places left.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yes, I knew it. When I am able to buy tickets finally, after knowing to have possibility get free from work that week, all good places and all all event places are sold. Well, I will go to see pairs and men's sp. There are some ice level places left.

There are still balcony 2 all-event tickets left!

nobutan

Rinkside
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying balcony seats because I can't afford ice level tickets. Now my question is, does the practice session have allocated seats? Since it is probably the only chance for me to go to ice-level and watch the skaters up close. And is it possible to buy the practice session ticket on the venue, can they run out of practice session tickets?
Also, on the website they have the practice schedule but no time written, is it safe to assume that if I want to watch the ladies practices, I have to get the all day ticket since they are listed on the top?

Also I think some people have mentioned it before but I quite like the idea of meet-up plan for those who's going. I'm very new to the figure skating worlds and I really don't know anyone else around me who's into it as well so I would love to make new friends =D

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
When you buy tickets for individual practices on the website, you get assigned a specific seat. So I think it's safe to assume that the practices will have allocated seats. I don't know if they will sell practice tickets at the venue. You could try to contact them and ask. I guess in theory they could run out of practice tickets, but personally I don't think that it's likely to happen.

The practice schedule has already changed since it has been posted for the first time. What you see now is an updated version. The first schedule said that practices would be from 6:30 am to 10.30 pm.
The first schedule listed on Monday Ladies – Pairs – Men – Ice Dance, and now it's Men – Ladies – Ice Dance – Pairs. On Tuesday it changed from Ice Dance – Men – Pairs – Ladies to now Ladies – Ice Dance – Pairs – Men. The schedule is still not final, so I guess anything can happen and they might again change things around.

For Monday and Tuesday they sell different tickets for morning practices and evening practices. If you want to see the ladies, I guess you would probably need a practice ticket for the morning session (since I assume that each session will cover two disciplines). However, since the schedule might still get changed, if they move the groups around again, you may end up with a ticket for morning practices when the ladies are in the end scheduled to practice in the evening.

nobutan

Rinkside
For Monday and Tuesday they sell different tickets for morning practices and evening practices. If you want to see the ladies, I guess you would probably need a practice ticket for the morning session (since I assume that each session will cover two disciplines). However, since the schedule might still get changed, if they move the groups around again, you may end up with a ticket for morning practices when the ladies are in the end scheduled to practice in the evening.

Thank you again for the help! I guess the safest bet would be to buy the whole day ticket to the practice. Hmm.

Also, do you know when they will announce who will be competing there?

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Also, do you know when they will announce who will be competing there?

*chips in*
A lot of countries have their national championships coming up in the next month or so. Assignments for Worlds, Euros and 4CC depend heavily on that (though if a country has 3 spots for, say, Worlds, it doesn't necessarily mean a country's federation will give those spots to the numbers 1,2,3 from the national championship). I think the big figure skating countries announce assignments soon or immediately after the results of the Nats.

Russia and Japan are right before Christmas, USA is in January, IIRC.

The Worlds website and or ISU website probably won't have an official list until much closer to the event.

Last edited:

Oreo

On the Ice

I bought tickets last night using my US credit card and was surprised everything went through on the first attempt. I used my laptop (Mac).

One piece of advice, if you're buying individual tickets for most of the events, the 20 minutes they give you before losing the tickets is not enough--especially if you're checking where their selected seats are against the arena map. You can save time by entering all your usual data in the account set up section first and then go pick your tickets.