2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2017 Worlds Helsinki Info and Chat

mayfran

Rinkside
Guys, has any of you ever sat at such an event on the balcony? I won't be able to afford the Ice level tickets so I've been slowly coming to terms with the fact that I won't go at all. But seeing that I won't be going to the GPF either since it's such a mess, I thought I would give balcony a shot. However, I was at an ice show once and I sat in, like, row 25 on the short side and I could barely see anything, so I'm wondering if going and watching from the balcony is worth any expenses at all. Them finnish hotels ain't cheap either.

I bought balcony at Boston because lower level All Event was way too expensive but I wanted to have practice tickets.
Later on, I bought lower level tickets for couple of events I really wanted to see close, then sold my balcony tickets at the ticket resale site.

My balcony ticket was very good location (judge side center), so it wasn't hard to sell as long as post it with reasonable price.
I'm not sure how easy to sell this time since this event is not in the US.

Balcony was good to see entire movement, and also you can have a big screen right in front of you :)

Last edited:

jtpc

Rinkside
Ticket sales have been interesting so far, as others have mentioned. I've been checking regularly and they seem to be releasing a few more seats as they need them, sometimes it's part of a row, other times it's a few rows together, other times it's an individual seat scattered somewhere. Last week, in terms of category 1 seats, part of row 4 became available in a few sections, then we went a few days where there were no category 1 seats available at all, then there's a little block of 5 rows together somewhere that gets released. They must be picking and choosing what to release next out of what they held back for when individual tickets go on sale later. Another small block has come up on one side of 111. I don't think I've ever seen 115 for sale, even since the very first day sales started. I guess things will still be flexible, as they sort out premium seats, and as tour groups finalize their numbers. For some tour groups, they might not ending up needing as many tickets as the organizers had originally blocked off for them.

My guess on the scattered seats that have all of a sudden appeared recently is that they might be people who couldn't get premium seats (rows 1-3) when they went on sale, so they bought category 1. Maybe they've now been contacted to buy premium, and that's made their category 1 seat available. The demand seems to be there for them to keep releasing more seats, so I wonder why it seems to be a row or 2 at a time. Maybe they want to keep some back so that they still have tickets for the walk-up crowd on the day of the event, or I guess they figure if people start buying individual events when they go on sale, they could end up spending more than what an all-event package costs, which is usually how the pricing works out.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
My guess on the scattered seats that have all of a sudden appeared recently is that they might be people who couldn't get premium seats (rows 1-3) when they went on sale, so they bought category 1. Maybe they've now been contacted to buy premium, and that's made their category 1 seat available.

This is very likely at least part of it. Because of the way the premium seats went on sale, not a single person was guaranteed to actually get a premium seat. Heck, I wasn't even sure *when* I was supposed to e-mail them about wanting those seats. Certainly if I'd waited to send an e-mail until the moment that the Level 1 all-event tickets went on sale, I'd have been too late. So I'd imagine a lot of people did the same I did, order premium seats but also book Level 1 seats, just so I'd be sure I'd at least *have* a decent seat.

Of course, for me what actually happened was the opposite: I refused my offer for the premium seat and kept my Level 1 seat. :laugh:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Well, those Finns are really on the ball. Ordered tickets just before 5pm on Tuesday and they were in the post box on Thursday morning! Hopefully such efficiency bodes well for the running of the event!

waxel

Final Flight
I'm trying to make the difficult decision-- to go or not to go???? Argh. I wasn't sure at first (was disappointed that Helsinki beat out Glasgow) ... but I'm over that now and do want to go. The trip from US is extravagantly expensive. I already have great seats and hotel lined up - I just have to make the decision - go or not??:scratch2:

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I'm trying to make the difficult decision-- to go or not to go???? Argh. I wasn't sure at first (was disappointed that Helsinki beat out Glasgow) ... but I'm over that now and do want to go. The trip from US is extravagantly expensive. I already have great seats and hotel lined up - I just have to make the decision - go or not??:scratch2:

I think you know my feelings on your question! Would love to see you there!

risingtrot

On the Ice
Hi all,

I have decided I will go to see Worlds and this will be my first ever competition to see in person. I need to finalize my ticket soon before they run out.

I could directly buy tickets through the official ticket site but I also tried looking at some Japanese sites that sell tickets with the hope that they have better seats. I do see some sites that sell tickets (ex World Sports Community) but I am not really sure if they are legit as there are no specific seat locations, etc and you need to input your name, etc. To my Japanese friends who are going, where did you buy your tickets? I am going for All Event ticket so I could see the practice sessions.

Thank you~

khughes

On the Ice
Hi all,

I have decided I will go to see Worlds and this will be my first ever competition to see in person. I need to finalize my ticket soon before they run out.

I could directly buy tickets through the official ticket site but I also tried looking at some Japanese sites that sell tickets with the hope that they have better seats. I do see some sites that sell tickets (ex World Sports Community) but I am not really sure if they are legit as there are no specific seat locations, etc and you need to input your name, etc. To my Japanese friends who are going, where did you buy your tickets? I am going for All Event ticket so I could see the practice sessions.

Thank you~

There are some quite good seats on the official site at the moment. I think I saw one in Row 8 of section 111 so you might want to look. I would be careful about any potentially dodgy sites.

gwenyct

Spectator
Hello!

My first post to say that I finally decided to get all event ticket and now very much looking forward to it!! I'll be going by myself, so hopefully will get to meet some of you there, especially in block 107! :) I'm also thinking to share a hotel room, if anyone is interested, let's PM chat~

And thanks all for the useful information discussed here! :)

tzazu

Medalist
When will individual tickets go on sale? I'll travel with my husband, and I'm afraid the whole event would be too much to him😱, so we'll go to the free programs, men's SP and the gala 😩( maybe too much yet? Perhaps, but it's the fee he has to pay for insisting on accompaning me :devil:)

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
You're not a cheap date :laugh:

Closest thing I could find to information about session tickets comes from here:
All Event tickets for the Helsinki World Championships are already available. Even though the single ticket sale starts later in the fall, ...

edit:
And from the official homepage :biggrin: silly me
Buy your All Event ticket now. The single event tickets will be offered on late autumn 2016.

Last edited:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
When will individual tickets go on sale? I'll travel with my husband, and I'm afraid the whole event would be too much to him😱, so we'll go to the free programs, men's SP and the gala 😩( maybe too much yet? Perhaps, but it's the fee he has to pay for insisting on accompaning me :devil:)

LOL I feel your dilemma!!! My partner is just like that too, he doesn't dislike figure skating but not by any means a crazed maniac like me, not a type to hang around in the rink for day in and day out. So I try to have a consideration for him, I first suggest going by myself because he would surely be bored to tears, then if he insist, well, he asked for it then. Luckily though, on the last occasion he became really passionate about photographing the skaters, so which was good he could take care of the photography while I enjoyed the moment, and I don't think he disliked the challenge at all!!! So it maybe an idea to give your husband the same challenge! :biggrin:

tzazu

Medalist
More or less the same here, I thought that being his first for him, maybe it would be better the GPF, shorter than Worlds, but he preferes Helsinki to Marseille, so there we go!:laugh:

Rissa

Record Breaker
I'm so tempted to take that ticket, it's still available... Can someone more experienced tell me if this is a good seat? How is visibility from the short side of the rink? Is it known if this is the side where the media are going to be? I had a chance of sitting behind photographers and no seat is worth it... But I'd so like to go! (Hmm there's also row 11 opposite and to the side of the judges...)

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I have absolutely no idea where the photographers are going to be. I assume somewhere next to the judges and in the pit in front of sections 118 and 119. Other than that, no idea at all.
There's plenty of pictures on the internet that could give you an idea about the seating and visibility. Good seat or not, honestly, that always depends on who you ask and what you're looking for. Me personally, I'd probably rather take row 11 on the long side than row 4 on the short side. Others will disagree with me :yes:
FWIW, I've seen other Ice Level 1 tickets pop up here and there all the time the last few weeks. A few days ago they still had something in row 6 or so in block 117. You never know when another good seat may or may not appear. It's a bit of a gamble and you always have to keep an eye on things.

Rissa

Record Breaker
I have absolutely no idea where the photographers are going to be. I assume somewhere next to the judges and in the pit in front of sections 118 and 119. Other than that, no idea at all.
There's plenty of pictures on the internet that could give you an idea about the seating and visibility. Good seat or not, honestly, that always depends on who you ask and what you're looking for. Me personally, I'd probably rather take row 11 on the long side than row 4 on the short side. Others will disagree with me :yes:
FWIW, I've seen other Ice Level 1 tickets pop up here and there all the time the last few weeks. A few days ago they still had something in row 6 or so in block 117. You never know when another good seat may or may not appear. It's a bit of a gamble and you always have to keep an eye on things.

thanks for the advice, Pamigena, I'll think it through!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
oh and if you look at the second picture I posted, the block in the middle in the lower part of the arena, at the very back there's also an area that's reserved for the media

Hamonrsa

On the Ice
Hello All,

This is my first post here as I just registered today. I live in the Boston area. I attended the World's Free Skate which was my first live skating event. I was absolutely entranced by what I witnessed. The beauty of this sport is second to none I know of. I've learned much more about many of the skaters I saw, and some I didn't, in the months that have passed since the event. Last week i booked a trip to Helsinki for World's 2017. I hope to gain some good information from this board in regards to this topic. Sorry for the long post. I wish you all a great day and happy travels to anyone attending.

Peace,

LCP

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Hello All,

This is my first post here as I just registered today. I live in the Boston area and took my ten year old niece to the Ladies Free Skate event at World's this past April. I'd never attended a figure skating event (let alone a professional one) other than one of her practices a couple years prior, before she gave up on lessons. I was hoping this experience would, in part, re-spark her interest. Little did she know her uncle (me) would enjoy it so much. From the moment we took our seats I was absolutely entranced by what we were witnessing. The beauty of this sport is second to none I know of. I've learned much more about many of the skaters we saw, and some we didn't, in the months that have passed since the event. Last week i booked a trip to Helsinki for World's 2017. I hope to gain some good information from this board in regards to this topic. Sorry for the long post. I wish you all a great day and happy travels to anyone attending.

Peace,

LCP

Welcome to GS, LCP! Post long & often :)

How wonderful that your experience in Boston turned you into a fan! I'm sure you will enjoy Helsinki as well. Feel free to ask any questions here, we'll do our best to help you :)