Figure skating dress design with an edge | Golden Skate

Figure skating dress design with an edge

lyndichee

Medalist
Was it just me or was this article really trying to use the Gracie Gold connection and the so called "dress change debacle" to get views? Seemed pretty over dramatic to me.

She didn't need to bring in other designers and disclose how Brad Griffies' dresses didn't fit right and threw her off balance. Almost like she was implying she's a much better dressmaker. Gracie switched her El Choclo dress early in the season and when talking to TSL she just mentioned Frank didn't like it and now she has a more Michelle Kwan-esque dress. Gracie didn't make it a big deal, this article seems to make something even farther in the past a bigger deal.

If the dress she designed was Gracie's first Sleeping Beauty dress, then I applaud her as I really liked that dress. Unfortunately I didn't really like this article. Thanks for sharing.

blue_ice

On the Ice
"Just five months before the 2014 Olympic games in Sochi, Gold left her coach, Oleg Epstein, for Frank Carroll"
Really? :scratch2: We thought her coach was Alex Ouriashev

"Johnson remembers the tearful phone call from Gold: Brad Griffies’ design was beautiful, but it didn’t fit and the heavy stones threw her off balance." :laugh: LMAO

Anyway, the bottom line of the article : Good dress will make your jumps good. So buy them from Johnson, not Vera Wang

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I don't know but, if it is.......IMO, it's a miss. Yikes!! My Eyes...:eeking:

I can't say I am a fan of it... but if it is true that that thing is comfortable, than I am willing to say good job to her for making it. It does not look like it would be comfortable with all those seems. Something unattractive can still be skillfully made.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is it just me, or does way this article is written make it seem like Gail doesn't even like dressmaking? it kind of has a "well yeah, I'm great at this, but it's really all a big chore" kind of vibe.

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm afraid I'm not a fan of this designers use of color blocks.
The lines are too chunky for me, causing the eyes to focus on the individual colors rather than the costume as a whole. For costumes, lines that go straight horizontal should be avoided , diagonal and vertical lines are better for showing off the body.
JMO. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I can't say I am a fan of it... but if it is true that that thing is comfortable, than I am willing to say good job to her for making it. It does not look like it would be comfortable with all those seems. Something unattractive can still be skillfully made.

Remember this dress? It was worn by my wife Maria Butyrskaya during her 2000 SP to Scene D' Amour. I absolutely loved it and when I heard she was repeating the program for 2001 Worlds. I was hoping I'd get to see it in person. Unfortunately, she changed dresses before Worlds so I never got to see it in person. It was provocative yet, not overly done and IMO, very unique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVt3I4IL18s

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
While we're (sort of) on the subject of Gracie Gold's costumes, I wonder if anyone else is bugged by this dress:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...acie-gold-new-program-skate-america/74451604/
What bothers me about it is the pseudo-straps in the back (OK so far) that peter out in the front. Illusion netting, to me, is supposed to give the illusion of being nude. What then are we supposed to imagine is holding up those straps?

Dan

Rinkside
I wish that ISU regulations for costumes restricted the creativity as much as it does the "free" skate. Saying it should not be "garrish" is just not specific enough. I am a huge fashion fan and I enjoy seeing how skaters bring their expression into the costumes. However, I think our sport places too much importance on this aspect. I would rather a skater spend 4000 dollars on ballet lessons or a spin coach or additional ice time or something to improve the way they skate. Costumes can help the package but it can't change the basic underlying skills. I hate to see a gorgeous costume on a skater that can't point their toes or extend their leg or straighten their back. In those instances, the importance is placed in the wrong place.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I think this is a nice interview. I take it that the author/interviewer is a graduate student journalist at Northwestern. Maybe this is some sort of series about interesting entrepreneurs in the Chicago area. I found the article lively and well-paced. Plus, all figure skating news is good news. :)

I think this Medill student/reporter is interested in Olympic sports and/or winter sports.
A curling article that she wrote was published on almost the exact same day as this one, IIRC.

And her articles were published at the same time as the one about Jason Brown, written by a different Medill student.

A group of Medill students had visited Colorado Springs and the OTC a few weeks before these articles came out.
Someone -- katmari, IIRC? -- had posted about their visit in the Jason fan thread.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
While we're (sort of) on the subject of Gracie Gold's costumes, I wonder if anyone else is bugged by this dress:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...acie-gold-new-program-skate-america/74451604/
What bothers me about it is the pseudo-straps in the back (OK so far) that peter out in the front. Illusion netting, to me, is supposed to give the illusion of being nude. What then are we supposed to imagine is holding up those straps?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...&thid=OIP.M73b7329e4edc7987f6d0658d4ed2dc61H0

Gracie is supposed to be a firebird, so I think those are supposed to be details of her plumage, not straps.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Remember this dress? It was worn by my wife Maria Butyrskaya during her 2000 SP to Scene D' Amour. I absolutely loved it and when I heard she was repeating the program for 2001 Worlds. I was hoping I'd get to see it in person. Unfortunately, she changed dresses before Worlds so I never got to see it in person. It was provocative yet, not overly done and IMO, very unique. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVt3I4IL18s

I liked her dresses so much!

gkelly

Record Breaker
I wish that ISU regulations for costumes restricted the creativity as much as it does the "free" skate. Saying it should not be "garrish" is just not specific enough. I am a huge fashion fan and I enjoy seeing how skaters bring their expression into the costumes. However, I think our sport places too much importance on this aspect. I would rather a skater spend 4000 dollars on ballet lessons or a spin coach or additional ice time or something to improve the way they skate.

So would I, but how could you write or enforce rules to support those preferences?

Some skaters may want to spend the money to feel pretty because it helps them skate their best.

Expert design and construction usually cost more. But sometimes inexpensive designs are prettier or expensive clothes are badly designed. And often it's just a matter of taste.