Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds | Golden Skate

Yu/Jin replaced by Peng/Zhang at Worlds

corynna

On the Ice
It seems that the Chinese federation conducted a test skate and decided to replace Yu/Jin with Peng/Zhang :(
The world team will be: Sui/Han, Peng/Zhang, Wang/Wang.
I really don't understand this decision, especially when Yu/Jin had much better results then Wang/Wang: they are two times junior world champions, they placed on the podium at both grand prix, they qualified for the grand prix final (where they finished higher then Peng/Zhang) and recenly they won the bronze medal at the 4 continents. Wang/Wang didn't have any international podium finish and in both grand prix assignments they had many mistakes in the LP.
Yu/Jin are such a nice team and they have such a big potential, but they will never develop as long as the federation does't give them the chance to participate in big events.

Last edited:

Giselle

Medalist
WHAT is going on :shocked: ? The love of the Chinese Federation for Peng/Zhang is puzzling to me...

Weathergal

Medalist
That is surprising although I will say that Yu/Jin didn't look as strong this season as last season. But I still think they have loads of potential and are stronger than Wang/Wang.

tulosai

Record Breaker
:jaw: I don't understand this at all- I heard Peng/Shang were going and I was very happy about it but I assumed they were replacing Wang/Wang, which if they are ready would make good sense IMO since despite the fact that a lot of people on the boards dislike Peng/Zhang, their current scoring/placement potential would objectively seem much higher than Wang/Wang if they are in good form. It makes no sense that they would just pull Yu/Jin. I can only think maybe Yu/Jin have some kind of injury or other problem? Very surprising.

sarama

Medalist
I assume (otherwise this decision makes no sense) that Yu is not particularly healthy at the moment (she definitely wasn't at 4cc poor girl!) and the other two teams right now probably look like a safer option...This season the pairs' field is really tough and keeping the three spots for team China won't be easy... Prayer circle :ghug: for Sui's ankle/foot to hold on until Worlds is over

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It seems that the Chinese federation conducted a test skate and decided to replace Yu/Jin with Peng/Zhang :(
The world team will be: Sui/Han, Peng/Zhang, Wang/Wang.
I really don't understand this decision, especially when Yu/Jin had much better results then Wang/Wang: they are two times junior world champions, they placed on the podium at both grand prix, they qualified for the grand prix final (where they finished higher then Peng/Zhang) and recenly they won the bronze medal at the 4 continents. Wang/Wang didn't have any international podium finish and in both grand prix assignments they had many mistakes in the LP.
Yu/Jin are such a nice team and they have such a big potential, but they will never develop as long as the federation does't give them the chance to participate in big events.

There must be a good reason for the decision since it's based on the test skate. I suspect it's health related or else they would not have pulled Y/J and kept W/W.

Eta: Open test skate videos, 3/23-24

I've watched only Y/J's FS so far and they seemed fine.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
its true that W/W didnt have great GP season but they were great at Chinese Olympics and at test skates , also they are probably the healthiest Chinese pair right now,
regarding scoring potential, i think its as high as Y/J or even more cause of their SBS jumps , not much but still (in case they both are clean)
after not being sent to 4CC i think they deserve to get something! and i am very happy that i will see her bright smile :luv17:

Giselle

Medalist
There are videos of the test skate here

The overall results of the test skate was:
1st Sui/Han
2nd Peng/Zhang
3rd Wang/Wang
4th Yu/Jin

Yu/Jin and Wang/Wang skated their LP cleanly which Peng/Zhang didn't.

I honestly think it's history repeating itself with Chinese pairs. Pang and Tong used to the the stepchildren of the Chinese federation and had to wait their turn and now it's Yu/Jin.

Hopefully this decision will lit a fire under Yu/Jin the way it did for Sui/Han when they missed the Olympics and they'll come back stronger next season, with 2 new programs!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Jin Yang's message

"Seeing how much people are supporting us, Xiaoyu and I are both sad and happy, happy that our friends are so supportive, and sad that we are not able to show our programs this time. We were not refined enough in the details and didn't do the test skate perfectly. Please don't worry but know that Xiaoyu and I will not give up because we don't make it to the World Championships this year. Even though it's a pity but we will work even harder with hope to present better programs to everybody."

tulosai

Record Breaker
Jin Yang's message

"Seeing how much people are supporting us, Xiaoyu and I are both sad and happy, happy that our friends are so supportive, and sad that we are not able to show our programs this time. We were not refined enough in the details and didn't do the test skate perfectly. Please don't worry but know that Xiaoyu and I will not give up because we don't make it to the World Championships this year. Even though it's a pity but we will work even harder with hope to present better programs to everybody."

That is very classy. I feel very sad for them- they do not deserve this.

QuadThrow

Medalist
There must be a good reason for the decision since it's based on the test skate. I suspect it's health related or else they would not have pulled Y/J and kept W/W.

Eta: Open test skate videos, 3/23-24

I've watched only Y/J's FS so far and they seemed fine.

The Chinese must know which pair is the right choice. It is a shame not to see the brillant Y/J competing.

Zhang seems to be more mature. But a good 4Tw is out of reach for them because she growed a lot.

S/H´s technical abilities are incedible strong - two quads and a enormous 3Fh. If they go clean it will be a hard challenge to beat them. But I do not like their free skate at all. It is the most boring program from all top-classed pairs.

andromache

Record Breaker
Yu/Jin are great! They're young talent for the future, and they seem to have more potential than W/W or P/Z, IMO.

P/Z are lovely, and Zhang in particular is amazing to watch, but I can't imagine that P/Z are more likely to land their technical elements than Y/J.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I assume (otherwise this decision makes no sense) that Yu is not particularly healthy at the moment (she definitely wasn't at 4cc poor girl!) and the other two teams right now probably look like a safer option...This season the pairs' field is really tough and keeping the three spots for team China won't be easy... Prayer circle :ghug: for Sui's ankle/foot to hold on until Worlds is over

i honestly don't think China has to worry about three spots no matter who they send. With Russia hurting left and right, Bilodeau and Seguin out and the other secondary canadians not really ripe or ready they are in good shape. Besides Sui and han have a very good shot at gold or at least podium.

Lota

Record Breaker
Yes, Peng doesn't have a great track record when it comes to SBS jumps, but you have to admit that, apart from the quads, her throw jumps are amazing. And her ability to perform is improving with every outing. Maybe I'm a bit biased because I like them, but when Peng does feel comfortable and lands her jumps, they are a serious threat. So I'm not that surprised by the decision to send them to Worlds.

What does surprise me is the decision to go with W/W instead of Y/J. W/W are great, but I saw nothing in the test skates that made me think that they were better than Y/J, and when you take the entire season into consideration, the decision to leave Y/J off the team just baffles me. I just find it incredible to believe that a team that got into the GPF 2 years in a row gets kicked off the Worlds team... 2 years in a row :bang:

Last edited:

lyndichee

Medalist
These test skates are like nationals being the sole criteria for deciding world spots. Yu/Jin already got screwed out of Worlds last year, now again?

Also I really don't understand the love for Peng/Zhang. She can't land her SBS jumps and the age difference between them is just incredibly inconvenient. They look strange to me and once he retires, he leaves her without a partner. Seems pretty selfish to me.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm extremely annoyed by this rubbish political junk from the Chinese fed. I don't watch a lot of pairs but I was looking forward to Yu/Jin.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This is BS. I don't want to be mean to W/W or P/Z, both pairs have their strengths and qualities, but IMO NEITHER should be send to worlds over Y/J. And definitely not both of them. I can't even fathom why anyone would think this is the best decision for Chinese pairs currently or in the future :dbana:

And I'm also sorry for the audience who won't get to see them live now. At the GPF, I thought they are a stronger pairs than P/Z, not just more or less mistakes related, but simply a better pair. Hmpf :no:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
WTH? I can only assume this is due to health reasons -- Yu/Jin still got two GP medals, qualified for the GPF, and were 3rd at 4CC. Even still, they should replace the Wangs, if the fed has more love for P/Z.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
These test skates are like nationals being the sole criteria for deciding world spots. Yu/Jin already got screwed out of Worlds last year, now again?

Also I really don't understand the love for Peng/Zhang. She can't land her SBS jumps and the age difference between them is just incredibly inconvenient. They look strange to me and once he retires, he leaves her without a partner. Seems pretty selfish to me.

They need to post videos from test skates. Too many "closed door test skates" -- i.e. politicizing amongst federation officials to get whoever they want at major competitions while shortchanging those more deserving.

Regarding Zhang being "selfish" - I disagree... it's thanks to his experience and clout that she has the career she's having. When he retires, he will simply be leaving her to pick a lesser partner than him. Zhang could have retired pre-2012, and Peng would have been left trying to make it with Zhang Tianci or whoever.