1990 Jr. World Champ. Igor Pashkevich Died | Golden Skate

1990 Jr. World Champ. Igor Pashkevich Died

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
1990 Junior Men's World Champion Igor Pashkevich (Wikipedia Page) has died.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-figure-skating-russia-pashkevich-idUSKCN0WT06Q

I saw the news on Facebook, when a couple of Russian skaters shared a link to a donation page set up to help his family with his funeral costs.

Igor was from Moscow, and represented his native Russia for most of his career, winning the title at Junior Worlds in 1990, and the silver at Europeans in 1996. He then switched to Azerbaijan, before retiring in 1998. In recent years, he has been coaching in Florida.

Didn't recognise the name, but when I saw a photo, I did.

My thoughts go out to his family, friends, and the skaters he has worked with over the years.

CaroLiza_fan

Sorrento

Record Breaker

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I saw the news on Ivan Righini's facebook profile last night, and was utterly shocked. He was only 44 and I remember him clearly from his active career in the 90's, he was a lovely skater. RIP Igor :cry:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
RIP

I've read that he has murdered in Miami, and 10 years ago he was in the car of Angelina Nikodinov's mother when she died in an accident, so i hope there will be more details about his death soon.

MGstyle

Medalist
Although I don't understand Russian very well so I am not exactly sure but near the end of the article Sorrento posted above indicates suicide. Appearantly he was not ill, and the way almost nothing has been reported clearly about the circumstance of his demise is really strange. I hope some official report will be issued before all sorts of rumours start flying. Not that it matters much now though.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Although I don't understand Russian very well so I am not exactly sure but near the end of the article Sorrento posted above indicates suicide. Appearantly he was not ill, and the way almost nothing has been reported clearly about the circumstance of his demise is really strange. I hope some official report will be issued before all sorts of rumours start flying. Not that it matters much now though.
That part of the text says that everyone who knew Igor can't believe he could commit suiside.

MGstyle

Medalist
thank you Sorrento, how tragic if it was indeed true, with so many people looking up to him and appreciate him :(

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
strange, could find no obit for him in Miami papers

He only died yesterday, and it was not expected. So there probably wasn't enough time for somebody to get one organised in time for publication deadlines.

Maybe I didn't read it right (or Google didn't translate it right), but after reading that Russian story, I was left unsure as to whether he had any family in America, or whether they were all back in Russia.

If he had no family in Florida, it would certainly help to explain why there was no obituary in the local papers.

CaroLiza_fan

Sorrento

Record Breaker
He only died yesterday, and it was not expected. So there probably wasn't enough time for somebody to get one organised in time for publication deadlines.

Maybe I didn't read it right (or Google didn't translate it right), but after reading that Russian story, I was left unsure as to whether he had any family in America, or whether they were all back in Russia.

If he had no family in Florida, it would certainly help to explain why there was no obituary in the local papers.

CaroLiza_fan
His ex-wife and his daughter live in Russia. He sent money he earned in US for his wife and daugther whom he loved to death before they divorced. His ex wife got married again.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Article with quotes from Morozov, Ari Zakarian, and Boris Chait.

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2016/03/29/169581264

Morozov said Pashkevich's knowledge and expertise were big reasons for Tutberidze's success.

"We've been one of the best friends," said Morozov, who noted that Samohin's victory at the world junior championships earlier this month may be Pashkevich's greatest success. "We're so proud of that. He'll always be in our memory."

:(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
RIP

I've read that he has murdered in Miami, and 10 years ago he was in the car of Angelina Nikodinov's mother when she died in an accident, so i hope there will be more details about his death soon.

oh this is sad. but somewhere else suggested suicide - surely there is something on the media if it was murder. Regardless, this is a sad and tragic loss.