USA
France
Italy
Italy
Great Britain
Russia

Qualification Rules

For 3 spots:
- If a country only has a single skater/couple, that skater/couple must place 1st or 2nd.
- If a country has multiple skaters/couples, the top two of these must have placements totalling 13 or less

For 2 spots:
- If a country only has a single skater/couple, that skater/couple must place 3rd through 10th.
- If a country has multiple skaters/couples, the top two of these must have placements totalling 28 or less

Special notes:
- Skaters/couples qualifying for the FS/FD but placing 17th or lower receive 16 placement points regardless of actual placement value
- Skaters/couples competing in the SP/SD but not qualifying for the FS/FD receive 18 placement points regardless of actual placement value

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
gosh... Canada barely retained the 3 spots in ID... that would have been a disaster....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
they don't need it as much as Canada with Virtue and Moir coming back ;)
Yeah, that was close.

On the other hand, Italy nearly gained a 3rd spot.

a detail Russia scored 20 placement points... it doesn't change the total of spots but just thought you may want to edit it.

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated with the Men's spots.

USA came thisclose to getting three spots. A few points less for Kolyada or Chan would've done it.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Chemistry66, you're constantly awesome after the JWC! Thanks for the info and updates.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think it's pretty stupid that a country can have three skaters in the top 10 and yet fail to retain three spots.

alebi

Medalist
Does this system need to be changed?

I had some thoughts after the ice dance competitions that have been confirmed after the men competition.

My example:

In ice dance France had 3 spots before this Worlds but they only brought P/C. First, I'm not sure if other French couples had the minimum but, apart from that, it wasn't an advantage for them to bring a second couple which, I'm almost sure, could have had many difficulties to go to the free dance. P/C are a couple miles above everyone else right now and since they looked completely healed from injuries they honestly didn't have rivals (so a top2 was 99% sure). With their win they guaranteed again their 3 spots for next Worlds too (and next Worlds will be very important for Olympics). If France decided to bring a second couple here, they were going to lose their 3rd spot.

My second example:

Spain Fed hasn't been so wise. They had 3 spots for this Worlds and they decided to bring Raya, who needed a miracle to finish around 12th place. The illogical thing is that if they had brought only Fernandez they could secure 3 spots for next Worlds but since they also brought Raya they gained only 2 spots, with the same result (and very predictable result. I mean Fernandez was 99% sure to finish in a top2).

The other illogical things are:

Italy and Russia with 2 dance teams in top12 (Italy in top10) will still have only 2 spots, USA with 3 men (3!!!!!) in top 10 will only have 2 spots, Italy with the only men in top 12 will still have only one spot. I'm taking the top12 has a major thing because, especially for singles, it means you are in the last two groups, which are the two most important, the world elite.

I think at the end this system can be "manipulated" (like France did) and doesn't assure quality to the competition since best "school" can risk to lose spots in favour of some other random country who can bring a skater/couple independently of what they did the previous year.

I think the top10 for your only single skater is too strict to gain a second spot for your country. I mean, I don't want 3 spots, just only the second one! And a top12 should be quite enough to guarantee this. The same, if you have 2 skaters/couples in a top 10 (or EVEN 3!!!) is absurd you can't obtain the third spot. ABSURD!
I don't have anything against Germany, I'm only taking this as an example, but their skater didn't make the free programme but they'll have the same spot that Italy has for next Worlds. Same for Argentina, Armenia and so on... Is is totally right? Really?!?! I don't think so!

Last edited:

gru

Rinkside
The system is totally stupid, random, unfair and inappropriate
It's an individual sport
The fact you have top 10 skater is actually unrelated to the fact you have another very good skater, especially in now days and especially in figure skating, where most of the best skaters are actually trained in few centers by few coaches, and half of the coulpes are mixed (partners from diffrent countries, changing nationality)

If you make top 10 you earn an extra spot for your country - why not
and now we have example with 3 USA men in top 10, if they were from 3 diffrent countries each one will earn a spot, but in this case you finish in top 10 and you are sure you don' t do it to the next WCh .
Were the americans worse than last year?

Another way to sum up : USA men 2015 - 4 Brown 248pts, 8 Rippon 229; 11;Farris 223: Total 23 palces - 700pts
USA men 2016 - 6 Rippon 264pts, 8 Aaron 254pts, 10 Hochstein 239: Total 24 places but 739pts
For me these 2016 skater did better than 2015 and their skating was awarded 739 pts vs 700pts and still it's translated into loosing spot - The exact place which serve to decide which are good enough to go to world is so random

They introduced Minimum TES as criterion for qualification, which is good, and they should extend this criterion for the extra spot too – like putting second higher TES for extra spot
That's what they're doing in athletics or swimming. They have “A standard”(higher) and “B standard (lower)” -

The Minimum TES is like the B standard in athletics or swimming – an evidence you have some level to participate at Worlds, if athlete has B standard he had a place (one from country), but if more than one athlete from country have A standard (the really good) - that country may send a maximum of three athletes if they have attained the A standard (so you send one “B standard” athlete, or one, two or three “A standard” athletes when you have them)

Last edited:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated with the Pairs scores.

China barely misses 3 spots (Peng/Zhang were 1.35 points out of 11th)

eta

Medalist
Thank you for this thread!

Really sad that China lost a spot in Pairs. With the Chinese Fed being the way they are (plus dropping Y/J from world team again this year, not to mention that they didn't even get new programs) I'm really worried for the future ugh.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If China had sent only Sui & Han, they would have 3 spots.

This is the rule I find most puzzling. If you have one super skater, it does Not mean you have 2 more really good teams at home. (witness French dancers).

Ok, qualify one more skater for next year for top ten, to a max of 3 skaters. Maybe top 12.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i think this usually ends up evening out... Japan had only two men this year, because of underperforming last year but they go back to 3.... Spain : why not bring Raya.... it's not about the 3 spots for Spain, they only barely need 2.. so why not give a chance to Raya ???? France Ice dance... it really doesn't advantage them that much not bringing other couples.... let's say they lose a spot??? at least, the teams would still gain international experience... they have an up and coming junior team that could benefit from that... but perhaps it's a TES minimum issue....

of course the maths didn't align for us men or chinese pairs this year... but they will most likely regain their sports in time for olympics.... better to lose them now than next year....

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
If China had sent only Sui & Han, they would have 3 spots.

This is the rule I find most puzzling. If you have one super skater, it does Not mean you have 2 more really good teams at home. (witness French dancers).

Ok, qualify one more skater for next year for top ten, to a max of 3 skaters. Maybe top 12.

Especially for the Olympics I wish that which countries had 2/3 entries was based on the strength of their second/third best skater/pair as opposed to the bizarre system we have now. I also think it's too difficult for countries to get three entries at the worlds - it's not like the Olympics where the field *has* to be of a fairly small size.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They introduced Minimum TES as criterion for qualification, which is good, and they should extend this criterion for the extra spot too – like putting second higher TES for extra spot
That's what they're doing in athletics or swimming. They have “A standard”(higher) and “B standard (lower)” -

The Minimum TES is like the B standard in athletics or swimming – an evidence you have some level to participate at Worlds, if athlete has B standard he had a place (one from country), but if more than one athlete from country have A standard (the really good) - that country may send a maximum of three athletes if they have attained the A standard (so you send one “B standard” athlete, or one, two or three “A standard” athletes when you have them)

I have been thinking we need to do something like this for awhile now. As you said, we already have minimums... add a second for 2 spots and a third rather high but achievable minimum for 3 spots. It would make so much more sense and would frankly be good for the sport. I think we would see more top/near top names skating at spring events to try to get those extra spots It would also avoid the situation with Nam and Liam... no skaters or federation should have to deal with that again.

Right now... i feel like i have to wait a year to start enjoying men's skating again. It sucks. It literally does not matter what the guys do or how well they do, we don't have three spots and there is no hope of changing that till next year. I feel like the grand prix season is something to get through and get over with rather than actually get to enjoy it. They really should add some means of fixing crap that happens at worlds rather than derail an entire season.

TMC

Record Breaker
Updated with the Men's spots.

USA came thisclose to getting three spots. A few points less for Kolyada or Chan would've done it.

...or full spin levels for Rippon. Apparently just a 3 for the level 2 spin would have probably been enough :(

People, spins matter!