Skate America Ideal Locations | Golden Skate

Skate America Ideal Locations

Skate2Music

Rinkside
Where would you like SA to take place and which locations have been successful/popular in the past?

Last edited:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Skate America: San Jose, California...it's never been there, and there's an arena there. Nationals happened there once, and it'd be a good place for Skate America.

I'd like Skate America to come to Oakland yet again. That would also be a great place.

The Bay Area has a lot of skating stars: Peggy Fleming, Boitano, Yamaguchi, Polina, Karen Chen, Rudi, Debi Thomas

San Diego could also be a great place for Skate America. It'd be good to get a different part of SoCal exposed to skating. I don't know if they have an arena big enough though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Too long time since SA was in the East!

Dunkin Donut Center, Providence, Rhode Island! SOI still has shows there, so it is clear you can attract a skating audience. And it is not as expensive for travellers as Boston.

They had nationals there in 1995, and it worked well. Providence has great Italian restaurant district. It is also an easy drive from Boston, and on the DC/NY/Boston Amtrak line, so very accessible. Green, the Providence airport, is a favorite of mine.

:slink: but mostly, it is an easy drive from my house...

Failing that, Greenville, North Carolina, did nicely with both the Nationals they hosted.

Last edited:

jinhamasaki

Rinkside
Miami pleaseeeee!!! Oh the irony of having a skating competition when the weather outside is 80F+ :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Buffalo NY! Then it's close for all the Canadians to come down. Lord knows they need to fill the seats, if I recall correctly, the past few years have had pretty depressing attendance.

LiLiGirl1

Rinkside
Dunkin Donut Center, Providence, Rhode Island! SOI still has shows there, so it is clear you can attract a skating audience. And it is not as expensive for travellers as Boston.

They had nationals there in 1995, and it worked well. Providence has great Italian restaurant district. It is also an easy drive from Boston, and on the DC/NY/Boston Amtrak line, so very accessible. Green, the Providence airport, is a favorite of mine.

:slink: but mostly, it is an easy drive from my house...

Failing that, Greenville, North Carolina, did nicely with both the Nationals they hosted.

I'm with you Doris. The only time I can go to Skate America is when it is on the East Coast.

I regret missing it when it was held in Lake Placid (IIRC that was in 2009.) so Lake Placid is my first choice.

My dream place would be the "sweetest place on earth" - Hershey, PA at the Giant Center. Stars on Ice has a stop there so maybe a competition would do well there. (Plus it's only an hour away from where I live.) :biggrin:

I only had the pleasure of going to Skate America was when it was held in Reading, Pittsburgh, Hartford, & Atlantic City.

Yes, I would be very happy for Skate America to be held on the East Coast again.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Anywhere on the west coast, so I could go to it (can't do it this year unless it's in driving distance for the weekend). But wherever it is, it seriously cannot be another large Midwestern city...they've had their turn, so please give some other region a chance! :mad:

Also, it's very impractical, but Alaska would be awesome. :cool:

andyjo24

Medalist
Why can't Skate America ever be held in NYC?

Is it because New Yorkers are viewed as not interested in figure skating or something?

But either way, now that I'm out of school, I'm going to try to make Skate America happen every year, whereever the location. :biggrin:

Last edited:

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Why can't Skate America ever be held in NYC? Is it because New Yorkers are viewed as not interested in figure skating or something? But either way, now that I'm out of school, I'm going to try to make Skate America happen every year, whereever the location. :biggrin:

NYC would be a great location! I am pushing for Philadelphia, we haven't had an event since the 98 Nationals. Wells-Fargo is a great arena. I am hoping for SA on the East Coast!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm going to vote for Seattle. It's close to Canada, and unlike Spokane, Seattle has direct flights from Japan as well. There's plenty to do, and it has great public transportation. Lastly, it has the worlds best coffee.

Last edited:

andyjo24

Medalist
NYC would be a great location! I am pushing for Philadelphia, we haven't had an event since the 98 Nationals. Wells-Fargo is a great arena. I am hoping for SA on the East Coast!

Yes! We can be doing it at Madison Square Garden. But I don't know why it doesn't happen. Maybe NYC is too expensive? But a GP-like gymnastics event was held at Madison Square Garden before...

Philly would be great too! And I agree that anywhere on the East Coast would be good too! Please!!:drama:

You West Coast people are too spoiled. :furious:

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Why can't Skate America ever be held in NYC?

Is it because New Yorkers are viewed as not interested in figure skating or something?

But either way, now that I'm out of school, I'm going to try to make Skate America happen every year, whereever the location. :biggrin:

When I was touring, we never played New York City due to the expense of the Venue. Though public transportation is quite good in NYC, I remember our bus drivers hating the experience of driving through downtown and all they did was drop us off.

This may sound weird but, I think Rockville Maryland might be a great location. It's very close to Washington DC and the public transportation was clean and efficient. There are a ton of indoor places to shop and the trains have stations in several of them so, you are never exposed to the cold weather. It's also close enough to NY, Baltimore, and Philadelphia that you can take a trip to one of those cities without having to drive or change hotels.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Skate America: San Jose, California...it's never been there, and there's an arena there. Nationals happened there once, and it'd be a good place for Skate America.

I'd like Skate America to come to Oakland yet again. That would also be a great place.

The Bay Area has a lot of skating stars: Peggy Fleming, Boitano, Yamaguchi, Polina, Karen Chen, Rudi, Debi Thomas

San Diego could also be a great place for Skate America. It'd be good to get a different part of SoCal exposed to skating. I don't know if they have an arena big enough though.

Skate America in 1991 was in Oakland and it was packed with people. However, it was mainly due to the fact that the reigning World Gold and Silver Medalists, Kristi and Tonya, were BOTH competing in the same event which does not happen very often. San Diego is a beautiful town and the weather is almost always nice there. It's also close to Mexico and could draw some new fans from there.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's probably never been there, but The Eagle Bank Arena (Patriot Center) at George Mason University. I mean there has been a few Disney on Ice shows there before and such....plus it's not too far away from DC.

Yes I'm aware the Verizon Center is in DC, but it's too big for Skate America in my opinion.

padme21

On the Ice
My pipe dream Fedex Forum, Memphis, Tennessee
I know that would never happen but I live in the south and can't afford to fly everywhere. It would be nice if I could drive to SA.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yes! We can be doing it at Madison Square Garden. But I don't know why it doesn't happen. Maybe NYC is too expensive? But a GP-like gymnastics event was held at Madison Square Garden before...

Philly would be great too! And I agree that anywhere on the East Coast would be good too! Please!!:drama:

You West Coast people are too spoiled. :furious:

Well, the East Coast just had Worlds ;) and the 2014 + 2015 Nationals. In the last five years, we of the West Coast have had two Nats (2011 and '12), one SA (2012) and TCC (2016)-all but one of them in Washington. So it's about equal. Really, it's the Midwest that's spoiled (2013 and '16 Nats, 2013, '14 and '15 SA)...lol. :laugh:

Unless you count Regionals/Sectionals (which everyone has) and the hidden(ish) gem that is Glacier Falls. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
My pipe dream Fedex Forum, Memphis, Tennessee
I know that would never happen but I live in the south and can't afford to fly everywhere. It would be nice if I could drive to SA.

How far is Memphis from Nashville? I really liked Nashville when we went there but, it was not during the winter so I don't know how easy it is to get around. However, they do have the Grand Old Opry and the Country Music HOF. They also have a Hockey Team which means they must have an interest in winter sports and there's a chance it could work.