Gifts for skaters? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Gifts for skaters?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think if I were a skater, I'd be afraid to eat any food item that wasn't factory-sealed. Packaged candy would be alright, but homemade stuff? No thanks. You never know where it came from & there are some seriously disturbed people out there.

Indeed. I heard from an insider that Kori Ade instructed Jason (and other students of hers I am sure) not to accept edible gifts from anyone, unless it is factory sealed.

I feel the need to point out that this is not not just a case of "disturbed people" with sinister motives, but frankly WADA still applies. You don't want to test positive for a banned substance because some good-natured little old lady used it in her baking.

You don't have to think the worst of people to still want to be responsible for what you put in your body. Unless you can verify what is in the item, you should not eat it. Honestly with WADA you should treat it a bit like a food allergy...i.e. don't take bloody chances with foods you can't research.

John King

Final Flight
If you mean gifts to toss to them after a performance, stuffed animals are the norm and rather cliche. Howsabout gifts to give to them in person? For a few years now, when I attended the Meet-'n-Greet at Stars On Ice, I gave Joannie Rochette a bank money order receipt for a $100 donation to World Vision. This year will be remembered, as she says to me, "Hi John, how's it going?". And when I gave her the receipt, she thanks me, and asked "How many has it been?" I think a moment, and respond "Four". Yeah, you do remember those days. Fans trying this should keep in mind to just give them the receipt, rather than leave it up to them to accept the money order donation, and they hold on to it to forward it to whatever their charity is.

Creative t-shirts are another idea. For Liz Manley (in person), and for Rachael Flatt (by mail), I made a t-shirt that was a take-off on the Olympic Motto, "Citius, Altius, Fortius" (Fastest, Highest, Strongest). It had the Olympic rings at the top, with the words "Brevius, Suavius, Lepidius" on it. Translation, "Shortest, Sweetest, Cutest". Both like them enough to send me a thank-you postcard/letter.

Last edited:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The most expensive gift is a star in the constellation Scorpius. The star is named after him. I think Johnny Weir also received a star.

OOOH I want to name a star after Gracie now. Anyone know if this has been done?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm learning to sew so definitely want try sewing something personal for a few skaters...maybe a headband? Or a dress? Not sure :D

If you want to make a dress you will need the measurements.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If you want to make a dress you will need the measurements.

It's a lot easier to make an outfit for a bear (or frog, etc). The animal doesn't move much, so it can be fitted while only considering one position. And they are very patient with repeated try-ons. And if you mess up, you usually have enough material to start over.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Adam Rippon and Ashley Wagner received very beautiful pendants :love:

Reposting this:
Sorry if this has already been posted, but today I happened to encounter a beautiful skating boot jewellery with a silhouette of Yuzu, the number 330.43 and the date of 12 Dec 2015 on it :luv17: :luv17:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDpNfNwt5Un/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDpNdeut5Uk/

It was made by a Japanese jewellery designer last season and she recently made pendants for Adam Rippon and Ashley Wagner, as well. Adam and Ashley look pleased in this photo :)

Some more pendants:
More on the designer's Instagram: itozacra

A friend of mine and I made some professional-quality photobooks for our favourite skater and his family. It cost a lot of money and time but the photobooks turned out to be special ones with many beautiful photos, text and happy memories, and the skater and his family loved them :) I would love to make another one when he retires... :sad21:

flowandline

Rinkside
Maybe a handmade card or decorative letter telling the skater what's good about their skating, their strengths.