2016-17 Retirements | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-17 Retirements

LRK

Record Breaker
Just saw this:

Carly Gold ‏@CarlyCGold · 8m8 minutes ago
Thank you everyone for the well wishes. It really means so much to me. I'm ready for the rest of my life! ❤️

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm sad to hear about Carly's retirement, I really enjoyed following her progress last season leading up to when she qualified for nationals. She improved so much in the last year! She has a lot to be proud of, and its great that she retired on her own terms after achieving her personal goals. Who are any of us to scoff at her choices? Just because a skater isn't at the top of the world rankings doesn't make their skating career any less valid.

noskates

Record Breaker
I always thought it must be hard for Carly to sit back while Gracie excelled - and she was trying just as hard. But both of the twins handled it well and Gracie was always very supportive of her sister.

I wish her well in whatever she decides to do next.

DexterK

On the Ice
I'm not sure what your point is with calling out specific skaters. If a skater wants to keep performing and competing, thats their business. It doesn't hurt anyone else. No one should be allowed to dictate how someone else chooses to live their life.

If Carly wanted to keep competing, I would support her the same as I support her in her decision to retire. Sure, there comes a time when certain goals are not realistic or attainable, but it's for the skater to decide when they want to stop. Maybe their goals are different than what everyone thinks they are. its not always about winning.

My opinion/point is that there is much more to life than this sport. And I think it is time to for these skaters to challenge themselves in other areas of life. I think they would benefit as individuals to do this. I think it would be a positive change in their lives. Again, that is my opinion and of course not everyone can leave the sport a winner/champion in the literal sense. I know Maxwell is loaded and she can spend her family's/fiance's money however she likes. If that is on a coach, ice time, costumes and equipment until she is 80, lol, fine. Land the triple loop in high level competition, don't land the triple loop.

I don't know these skaters personally, just as you don't either. I also don't expect them to care about what I think, and I surely don't understand why you do, lol.
Take it, leave it, whatever you want, no worries.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
The bickering about "time to retire" reminds me of an exchange I had with a poster on YouTube on an Ashley Wagner video recently. There they were all full of advice back in February after nationals saying it was time for Ashley to step aside, she was too old at 24 to continue and her standards weren't improving, let the younger ones come through etc etc.... Goes to show how wrong outsiders can be in retirement advice...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry to hear about Carly's retirement. I was hoping that she would be a late bloomer and catch up with her sister.

But, so glad that she is happy with what she has achieved, and that she reached her goals.

And I am absolutely delighted that she is planning on pursuing her other passion - photography. Having looked at the Instagram page linked to in the article, she has got a really good eye!

Those pictures are amazing!!! :love: What a talent! :points:

Carly really knows how to get the best out of Gracie. There again, I suppose you would do with somebody you have known and been so close to your entire life! :laugh:

But, it isn't just her sister. She seems to be able to get good photos out of anybody!

Personally, though, my favourite photos are actually the wildlife shots and the landscapes. Stunning!

And that is why I wouldn't be surprised if she did achieve her new goal of working for National Geographic!

All the best for this new career path, Carly.

CaroLiza_fan

DexterK

On the Ice
Ashley is a competitive skater, surely it is not time for her to retire. It wasn't before Worlds and it isn't now.

Now, when Caroline Zhang or Fleur Maxwell win the the World silver medal, feel free to tell me how wrong this outsider is about retirement advice. Best of luck to them this season and the next ten seasons, lol.

Best regards!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Ashley is a competitive skater, surely it is not time for her to retire. It wasn't before Worlds and it isn't now.

Now, when Caroline Zhang or Fleur Maxwell win the the World silver medal, feel free to tell me how wrong this outsider is about retirement advice. Best of luck to them this season and the next ten seasons, lol.

Best regards!

So, you therefore think it's ok to give a skater retirement advice based on your assessment of what success you think they should have achieved. Ok, maybe not everybody is going to get on the podium at worlds but maybe they're happy competing at a different level and who is anyone else to judge that?

Best regards yourself!

DexterK

On the Ice
Of course I think it is quite fine to give out opinions on or judge programs, music choices, advice, suggestions, critiques, praise. This is a skating forum, if people weren't giving out opinions, GS would be a very boring place to learn and debate figure skating.

They, just like you can take it or leave it. Ignore it, disagree with, or even respond with an attitude.

DexterK

On the Ice
I see you've chosen the very last option, even adding a little sarcasm for good measure.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Sorry to hear about Carly's retirement. I was hoping that she would be a late bloomer and catch up with her sister.

But, so glad that she is happy with what she has achieved, and that she reached her goals.

And I am absolutely delighted that she is planning on pursuing her other passion - photography. Having looked at the Instagram page linked to in the article, she has got a really good eye!

Those pictures are amazing!!! :love: What a talent! :points:

Carly really knows how to get the best out of Gracie. There again, I suppose you would do with somebody you have known and been so close to your entire life! :laugh:

But, it isn't just her sister. She seems to be able to get good photos out of anybody!

Personally, though, my favourite photos are actually the wildlife shots and the landscapes. Stunning!

And that is why I wouldn't be surprised if she did achieve her new goal of working for National Geographic!

All the best for this new career path, Carly.

CaroLiza_fan

Agreed about the good photographic eye. I wonder if she could be tempted to do the skating circuit for a while, I like the less formal practice type photos she has. Perhaps she's looking to get out of skating altogether but more of those photos would be lovely!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Yeah, I do not feel sorry for Carly Gold. She was fortunate enough to have been born into a family that could financially support her skating as long they did, through her connection with Gracie she was able to be coached by one of the world's most reknown coaches, and I'm sure she will be able to take many of these training and performance experiences and apply them to her next chapter.
We all know life after skating exists, and now that you've skated at a Nationals go to school, be an adult. She is 20 years old. It is time. I'm all about you living your dream, but at some point it is time to wake up, go shower, brush your teeth, and get in the car.

...Caroline Zhang
...Fleur Maxwell

I'm pretty sure Caroline and Fleur wake up, shower, and brush their teeth before they go to the rink every morning. They may even drive there. ;)