State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 116 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

andromache

Record Breaker
Yes. But do you really think, it should be the same amount of funding for someone who skates for fun as someone whose really learning. And its probably not that expensive to skate as hobby funding wise.

If there is a hypothetical limited amount of money, more kids can benefit from skating part-time/as a hobby than funding fewer kids to train full-time.

desertskates

Medalist
Ok, here in Ca. This event doesn't start until 11:30am. I'll have to wait until I see the performances to go into detail but, after looking at Karen's scores, I think the US would be wise to consider sending Mirai to Worlds. Karen has very little experience as an international senior and with the strength of the Russian, Canadian, and Japanese skaters, I am truly worried about keeping our 3rd spot.

I'm waiting to watch on NBC, too. I think you're right about Mirai, but does anyone know if there's something in the rules that prevents the USFSA from changing a World team without an injury or illness? If we though the Olympic selection created a messy fallout, I can't even begin to imagine what something like this would cause. At least in the eyes of people who are not really familiar with ins and outs of skating.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm waiting to watch on NBC, too. I think you're right about Mirai, but does anyone know if there's something in the rules that prevents the USFSA from changing a World team without an injury or illness? If we though the Olympic selection created a messy fallout, I can't even begin to imagine what something like this would cause. At least in the eyes of people who are not really familiar with ins and outs of skating.

This is a good question. What I worry about, especially with Karen's placement, is the pressure it puts on Ashley to defend her Silver Medal. I remember Canada's Jennifer Robinson being grilled by reporters who kept reminding her that if she didn't skate well, Canada would lose a spot for Worlds and possibly the Olympics. Maria Butyrskaya went through the exact same thing. When she failed to make the free skate in 93' they dumped her from the team even though she was the National Champion. I don't know what Tammy has planned but, I'd hate to see Karen skate like this at Worlds as our National Champion and lose a spot in the process.

Last edited:

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
All I have to say is send MIRAI to worlds that's it. There's no other option as Mariah and Karen likely won't even crack top 10 even with pretty good skates. Mirai is more known and appreciated internationally and has shown 2 seasons in a row that she peaks later on in the season. Just send her usfsa

bekalc

Record Breaker
If there is a hypothetical limited amount of money, more kids can benefit from skating part-time/as a hobby than funding fewer kids to train full-time.

There is such thing as quality over quantity. I.e you may be investing in fewer kids but those kids may then be able to have real hope for their futures. I am not against programs to make skates/and ice time more available to kids. And heck, one could argue in winter in some places all you need is skating. And some public lessons, but I do think its a better investment to invest in kids with talent..

And its better to help the other kids find their niche in other areas.

andromache

Record Breaker
There is such thing as quality over quantity. I.e you may be investing in fewer kids but those kids may then be able to have real hope for their futures. I am not against programs to make skates/and ice time more available to kids. And heck, one could argue in winter in some places all you need is skating. And some public lessons, but I do think its a better investment to invest in kids with talent..

And its better to help the other kids find their niche in other areas.

But the number of kids who will be able to be competitive figure skaters for a living is so infinitesimal and unlikely, that only looking for those kinds of results from a funding program hurts those kids who might compete regionally and train part time and enable to channel their experience into non-skating aspects of their lives.

amc987

On the Ice
The World team should be chosen based on the strength of international results and Nationals performances not just on Nationals performances. Karen or Mariah should be benched in favor of Mirai. Otherwise, barring a minor miracle, we'll only be sending 2 ladies to PyeongChang.

mrrice

Record Breaker
But the number of kids who will be able to be competitive figure skaters for a living is so infinitesimal and unlikely, that only looking for those kinds of results from a funding program hurts those kids who might compete regionally and train part time and enable to channel their experience into non-skating aspects of their lives.

This is a great comment!! What skating did for me, was make me fearless. After you spend time and money freezing your butt off in a cold rink doing a sport that is not exactly popular with your classmates, it made auditioning for shows an absolute breeze. It takes a huge amount of commitment and discipline to become a decent skater. Even if you have the money, it is difficult to see your friends having "Real Lives" Going to parties and football games on the weekends. Becoming Cheer Leaders, or making the Dance Team are all activities that a skater has to give up in order to be a competitive. I remember "Not" getting invited to a party and being told...You're never around and we just assumed you had a competition or some event. This is another reason, I hate seeing skaters cry or get upset after a performance. I know from experience just how much they have already given up just to be there, and I always want to see them smile....

Last edited:

stella luna

Final Flight
Chances are that feeding Gold's fragile psyche with such a move would be rewarded by another performance similar to what she has done the entire season. I'd rather see Mirai go, as she has done more to deserve it.

Still, our team is our team, fair and square. Let the chips fall where they may.

Petition to send Gracie to Worlds. She is our best lady, she will win Gold if we send her.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
Chances are that feeding Gold's fragile psyche with such a move would be rewarded by another performance similar to what she has done the entire season. I'd rather see Mirai go, as she has done more to deserve it.

Still, our team is our team, fair and square. Let the chips fall where they may.

I agree. She needs to be focused on coming back strong next season, not trying to salvage this season.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I am watching the NBC broadcast of the ladies long program. Mirai did so fantastic, she did that program better than I've seen it all season! I am officially on team send her to the world champions!

geige

On the Ice
I am watching the NBC broadcast of the ladies long program. Mirai did so fantastic, she did that program better than I've seen it all season! I am officially on team send her to the world champions!
And of course, in the skate of her career, Johnny is still trying to bring her down.

Last edited:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Remember what happened at 2016 Worlds when Skate Canada made a last minute (panic) decision to send Nam Nguyen instead of Liam Firus?

Nam finished 27th in the SP and didn't even qualify for the FS.

frida80

Record Breaker

It was great right! I'm watching right now! Sadly now I have to watch with Tara and Johnny commentary. Urgh...

KatGrace1925

Medalist
It was great right! I'm watching right now! Sadly now I have to watch with Tara and Johnny commentary. Urgh...

Totally the skate of her life when she needed it. I felt like all season she wasn't performing the program, but she showed such genuine passion, I loved it!

mrrice

Record Breaker

Me too. It was so nice to see her BIG smile in the Kiss & Cry. It was worth waiting for...Now I'm freaking out waiting for the Men. Win or lose, I want to see Patrick and Nathan skate well. If Hanyu nails his free program and wins the event. More power to him.

I am so proud of Mirai. Especially after her meltdown in the FS at Nationals. Props to Tom for getting Mirai prepared mentally to make this comeback. I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but, I have liked him since I saw Rachael live for the first time back in 2011. It was after the Olympics and I saw him back stage with Rachael and he told to her to remind herself how great she was.....I think it's vital for skaters to remember all things they've had to sacrifice to get where they are and that they "Deserve" to be on that podium as much as any other skater in world.

Last edited: