State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 138 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The little girls scream their heads off for her because she's their definition of an ice princess. Problem is, sadly she's not living up to it, she didn't skate any better in the Chicago show than the previous ones, I really hope she gets it together sooner than later.

At a certain point (hopefully VERY soon), she has to start hitting the gym and really go full-steam ahead -- that includes the issue that no one is allowed to mention and doing her plyometrics and other off-ice training.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
At a certain point (hopefully VERY soon), she has to start hitting the gym and really go full-steam ahead -- that includes the issue that no one is allowed to mention and doing her plyometrics and other off-ice training.

I'm in total agreement with you there, I also want to mention from my previous post, I failed to mention a reminder that she has a good number of family, friends, former coaches and rink mates that are still in the Chicagoland area that came out to see her and be loud. ;)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Will she get two GP spots after sitting out the season with an injury?

She has a good shot. That's the best I can figure out at the moment. She qualifies as a "return skater" based on her last Worlds placement. Her most recent SB score slides her into 35th place on the current SB list. If she needs the help from USFSA, one would think she would get it. She was #2 in the country in her last competition. She'll have to show readiness.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She has a good shot. That's the best I can figure out at the moment. She qualifies as a "return skater" based on her last Worlds placement. Her most recent SB score slides her into 35th place on the current SB list. If she needs the help from USFSA, one would think she would get it. She was #2 in the country in her last competition. She'll have to show readiness.

I guess the good news is Mariah made the world team w/only one GP spot :)

andromache

Record Breaker
What US lady (if any) do we anticipate having a good GP season? It'd be great for Karen, Mariah, Polina, etc. to have a "breakout" season on the GP and build some buzz or momentum going into the Olympics. Get some GP hardware! As it stands now, really Ashley seems like the only one with a chance to make the GP final, and even then, it seems pretty iffy.

Karen should have decent hopes of her first GP medal at Skate America, but man, she is so prone to disasters :drama:. USFS better be giving this girl and her coaching team everything they need to get ready for the Olympic season, seriously.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The little girls scream their heads off for her because she's their definition of an ice princess. Problem is, sadly she's not living up to it, she didn't skate any better in the Chicago show than the previous ones, I really hope she gets it together sooner than later.

Out of curiosity, were you at the Chicago show? By not skating any better, do you mean her jump content was the same and she was slow?

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wow...my goodness...it's just a show. It's family entertainment...selling the performance much more important than technical perfection. And each time I've seen her in a show she's done the former very well.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I don't think anyone is expecting technical perfection (I'm not certainly), but it is a concern that she is popping otherwise easy jumps. And her jumps, quite frankly, is what makes her (when she's doing well) stand out in the first place.

That said, there's still several months until the season starts, so I think there's time.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Isn't it time to make a fresh start with 2017-18 State of US Ladies...? Every other countries already launched "State of 2017-18 XX Ladies or Ice Dance" for the Olympic season, but why the US related threads are still struck with the 2016-17. I know the new season starts in 1 July, but we're not talking about the season, but the prospect of US skaters for the new season.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't it time to make a fresh start with 2017-18 State of US Ladies...? Every other countries already launched "State of 2017-18 XX Ladies or Ice Dance" for the Olympic season, but why the US related threads are still struck with the 2016-17. I know the new season starts in 1 July, but we're not talking about the season, but the prospect of US skaters for the new season.

The OP of this thread R.D will know when the time is right :yes: Besides I think we're still sorting out last season :laugh:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
The OP of this thread R.D will know when the time is right :yes: Besides I think we're still sorting out last season :laugh:

While I had some great moments from Karen's resurgence and Mirai's medalling at 4CC, the season was very depressing in general for US ladies, so I want to talk about the next season and don't want to dwell on the past such as .....Ashley's inconsistency and lack of competitive fires and Gracie's meltdown.

Last edited:

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Out of curiosity, were you at the Chicago show? By not skating any better, do you mean her jump content was the same and she was slow?

Yes as I've been to several others and with her it's been same thing with the jumps and performance level. She doesn't look like she enjoys skating anymore. :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes as I've been to several others and with her it's been same thing with the jumps and performance level. She doesn't look like she enjoys skating anymore. :(

Thanks. That's really too bad. Its kind of odd, because in recent pictures she actually looks happy to me. Time will tell, I guess.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thanks. That's really too bad. Its kind of odd, because in recent pictures she actually looks happy to me. Time will tell, I guess.

Yes, she looks happy off the ice, but I don't know how real it is, she doesn't look happy training at her new home rink either. :eek:hwell:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
While I had some great moments from Karen's resurgence and Mirai's medalling at 4CC, the season was very depressing in general for US ladies, so I want to talk about the next season and don't want to dwell on the past such as .....Ashley's inconsistency and lack of competitive fires and Gracie's meltdown.

There was a general inconsistency that made the U.S. ladies seem "un-fun" to me. It made me feel bad, because at most competitions, I found myself looking forward to the Canadian and/or Japanese ladies more than our ladies. There definitely were some beautiful moments though like Mariah's awesome Skate America programs, Mirai's medal at 4CC, Karen's Nationals, just to mention a few.

I can only hope that we do better this coming season. I'm practicing my cheering already! :hap10: :hap57: :dance: :hap93:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
There was a general inconsistency that made the U.S. ladies seem "un-fun" to me. It made me feel bad, because at most competitions, I found myself looking forward to the Canadian and/or Japanese ladies more than our ladies. There definitely were some beautiful moments though like Mariah's awesome Skate America programs, Mirai's medal at 4CC, Karen's Nationals, just to mention a few.

I can only hope that we do better this coming season. I'm practicing my cheering already! :hap10: :hap57: :dance: :hap93:

A funny thing is that Ashley can be viewed as the most "consistent" skater among the US ladies... :slink: She is the only one who has been to Worlds for the past 6 years which is remarkable, but not exciting to be honest. The Canadian ladies are also inconsistent, but delivered at the biggest event of the season which matters a lot. Except Satoko, the current Japanese ladies are far from solid consistency, but they have a lot of talent in the pool while the US doesn't have at the moment.

andromache

Record Breaker
I'd call Ashley generally consistent, even by international standards. Pops and falls have become very rare for her. She consistently struggles with her rotations.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd call Ashley generally consistent, even by international standards. Pops and falls have become very rare for her. She consistently struggles with her rotations.

I agree that she has had the most consistent results; she has won a GP event and/or a Nationals for six straight seasons. The rotation issues are becoming increasingly problematic, though. Maybe she needs to cut out one of the 3/3 combos in the LP so she can at least get 6 triples fully rotated.

R.D.

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone is expecting technical perfection (I'm not certainly), but it is a concern that she is popping otherwise easy jumps. And her jumps, quite frankly, is what makes her (when she's doing well) stand out in the first place.

That said, there's still several months until the season starts, so I think there's time.

While I can understand her fans wanting her to be at her best for the Olympics and trials, I just think it is way too soon to be freaking out. Especially given that you cannot expect her to be in prime shape this time of year.

Like you said, there's still several months before the season. She will be fine. Remember, it is, and always has been, a mental game for her - physical shape has been much less of a factor. She usually kills it in the practices.