2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ladies skating

moriel

Record Breaker
Last Season´s thread: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55961-2015-16-State-of-Russian-Ladies-skating

Anyway, my pre-season thoughts:

1. The main question is whether Zhenya can keep up. If yes, she will break all the records and will make all the great lady skaters from the FS history, well...history. If she becomes relaxed or if puberty hits her then the situation becomes interesting. The choir of haters can calm down - there will be no new magic "sonogram" next season. The leader's place will be attacked by usual suspects. Then

2. The second main question is what our Olympic champs Adelina and Yulia have to offer. I think, for Adelina it is the moment of truth. Either she focuses and starts to deliver or that's it. She won't survive another slack season and will join the ranks of local show biz celebrities for goods. With Yulia it is more difficult. If she cannot peak next season doing consistent 3-3s and not bombing free skates I think they will still have the chance in the season to come. However, she should show a visible progress vs. this season. If it does not happen, I guess, that will be it with her competitive career as well.

3. The third main question is if Liza is back with a stable 3A. Without it she won't stand a chance against Medvedeva (if Medvedeva keeps up). Moreover, she will have to fight for podiums because suddenly this season the competition became much tougher than just a year ago. And it will likely stay. Couple of weak performances and 2015 world champion is out of the team one more time. I guess, it's the moment of truth for her as well.

4. The fourth main question is what lessons Radionova is going to learn after such emotionally disastrous season for her. The rise of Zhenya was very hard for her to bear. But looking at her in Spokane I saw that she gave up this season. Clapping with a weak smile after 151 she professed: yes, you are the queen this year, not me. The question is what she can do about it.

5. The fifth main question is whether the puberty is over for Anna with all her terrible falls so that she can build on her fabulous Boston performance. For me she was the silver (I liked Ashley's skating but pcs difference between them was just ridiculous). If she goes strong in GP Radionova or LIza will have to prove that they are number 2 not Anna (provided Medvedeva keeps up)

6. Less important questions for the seniors: will the coach change bring any major changes for Maria Sotskova? Frankly speaking, it will be very hard for her to start her senior career with all competition we have. Is Leonova going to retire? Will we see more of Artemyeva's beauty on ice? Will we see Sima again?

7. The main question in juniors is whether Polina overcomes her injury and her growth to continue her dominance which was beyond any doubt just before the junior worlds.

8. The second main question is how the strongest in years (and may be in the whole history of FS) junior lady squad is going to fare.

Some statistics from previous season.

1. JGP Events.
Medals - 7 of 21 total. 33%
Gold medals - 4 of 7 total. 57%

2. JGP Final.
Finalists - 3 of 6 total. 50%
Medals - 2 of 3 total. 67%

3. GP Events.
Medals - 7 of 18 total. 39%
Gold medals - 2 of 6 total. 33%

4. GP Final.
Finalists - 2 of 6 total. 33%

5. JrWorlds
Medals - 1 of 3 total. 33% (if no injury of Tsurskaya and Fedichkina - would be 2 medals)

6. Euro
Medals - 3 of 3 total. 100%

7. Worlds

Good, but at JGP and GP could be better.
Previous season were:
9 JGP medals (5 gold), 3 finalists and 2 Final medals.
9 GP medals (4 gold), 4 finalists and 2 Final medals.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
The state is good. Very good. :yes:

Personally, I'm hoping for #RiseOfTheElders2K16: a resurgence of Yulia/Adelina/Liza/maybe even Elena, if she is old enough to be among that group.

Also, if a youngling must dominate seniors last year, can it please be Maria Sotskova? Pleeeease? :p

Country
Russia
Some statistics from previous season.

1. JGP Events.
Medals - 7 of 21 total. 33%
Gold medals - 4 of 7 total. 57%

2. JGP Final.
Finalists - 3 of 6 total. 50%

3. GP Events.
Medals - 7 of 18 total. 39%
Gold medals - 2 of 6 total. 33%

4. GP Final.
Finalists - 2 of 6 total. 33%

5. JrWorlds
Medals - 1 of 3 total. 33% (if no injury of Tsurskaya and Fedichkina - would be 2 medals)

6. Euro
Medals - 3 of 3 total. 100%

7. Worlds

Good, but at JGP and GP could be better.
Previous season were:
9 JGP medals (5 gold), 3 finalists and 2 Final medals.
9 GP medals (4 gold), 4 finalists and 2 Final medals.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

Hey, you deprived me of my first mover advantage!:devil:

Anyway, my pre-season thoughts:

1. The main question is whether Zhenya can keep up. If yes, she will break all the records and will make all the great lady skaters from the FS history, well...history. If she becomes relaxed or if puberty hits her then the situation becomes interesting. The choir of haters can calm down - there will be no new magic "sonogram" next season. The leader's place will be attacked by usual suspects. Then

2. The second main question is what our Olympic champs Adelina and Yulia have to offer. I think, for Adelina it is the moment of truth. Either she focuses and starts to deliver or that's it. She won't survive another slack season and will join the ranks of local show biz celebrities for goods. With Yulia it is more difficult. If she cannot peak next season doing consistent 3-3s and not bombing free skates I think they will still have the chance in the season to come. However, she should show a visible progress vs. this season. If it does not happen, I guess, that will be it with her competitive career as well.

3. The third main question is if Liza is back with a stable 3A. Without it she won't stand a chance against Medvedeva (if Medvedeva keeps up). Moreover, she will have to fight for podiums because suddenly this season the competition became much tougher than just a year ago. And it will likely stay. Couple of weak performances and 2015 world champion is out of the team one more time. I guess, it's the moment of truth for her as well.

4. The fourth main question is what lessons Radionova is going to learn after such emotionally disastrous season for her. The rise of Zhenya was very hard for her to bear. But looking at her in Spokane I saw that she gave up this season. Clapping with a weak smile after 151 she professed: yes, you are the queen this year, not me. The question is what she can do about it.

5. The fifth main question is whether the puberty is over for Anna with all her terrible falls so that she can build on her fabulous Boston performance. For me she was the silver (I liked Ashley's skating but pcs difference between them was just ridiculous). If she goes strong in GP Radionova or LIza will have to prove that they are number 2 not Anna (provided Medvedeva keeps up)

6. Less important questions for the seniors: will the coach change bring any major changes for Maria Sotskova? Frankly speaking, it will be very hard for her to start her senior career with all competition we have. Is Leonova going to retire? Will we see more of Artemyeva's beauty on ice? Will we see Sima again?

7. The main question in juniors is whether Polina overcomes her injury and her growth to continue her dominance which was beyond any doubt just before the junior worlds.

8. The second main question is how the strongest in years (and may be in the whole history of FS) junior lady squad is going to fare.

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I am most curious about Sima & what they will do with her. And no, Alena is not going to retire. Maria A. is still training but I can't honestly imagine her getting out of Russia at this point (except maybe some senior Bs here and there).

Elena, Liza, & Yulia are massive question marks, depending how much work they can accomplish in the off-season. And Adelina, I suppose, but I don't think she is committed to seriously competing anyway.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!=) Sotnikova wants to compete, it seems. The short program is ready, her words. And it's "very demanding and strong". Just now I understand how much I missed her. Wish her a strong season:)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Zhenya? is that Med? If so, I say the Russians are in good hands for quite a while. I still love so many other skaters from all of over the World. However, Med has something special about her and I can definitely see her winning multiple World Championships. The Men are a completely different subject but, I'll have to find that thread. ;

Last edited:

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
Russian Hunger Games. :biggrin: Another great season of strong tributes. The Winter is coming! Soon. :)

alskling

On the Ice
Yes, you may laugh at me, but I have a strong feeling from within that ... Adelina will rise again.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yes, you may laugh at me, but I have a strong feeling from within that ... Adelina will rise again.

This could most definitely happen. You know who else I'd like to see have one last big moment. My gal Leonova. I love the way she performs and I've been a fan of her for years. Unfortunately, her most recent Free Program is my least favorite from her in a long time.

Alexz

Medalist
Country
United-States
This could most definitely happen. You know who else I'd like to see have one last big moment. My gal Leonova. I love the way she performs and I've been a fan of her for years. Unfortunately, her most recent Free Program is my least favorite from her in a long time.
+Plushenko +Butyrskaya (obviously) :)

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I think Julia will have a comeback year. I prefer her to Medvedeva but I am one of those who think Medvedeva is here to stay.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm really hoping to see Julia come roaring back this year. I enjoy her skating, but really became a fan of her as a person after reading about how she struggled after the Olympics. It's always nice to see someone regain their love of something. I think Evgenia and Anna will remain strong, Liza remains a question mark for me. I'm also looking forward to Polina T!

bixby

Final Flight
I think Julia will have a comeback year. I prefer her to Medvedeva but I am one of those who think Medvedeva is here to stay.

I'm blown away by Medvedeva, but is she passed her puberty/growth spurt and all that? Or, will the next season be an adjustment period for her?

alskling

On the Ice
I'm blown away by Medvedeva, but is she passed her puberty/growth spurt and all that? Or, will the next season be an adjustment period for her?

Yeah. But she changed already. Look at her (from wjc15 (even from SA15) to WC16). She is definitely grew up. If there will be no rapid spurt (like Elena), then she will be ok. Little by little, step by step. Like in this season.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Even if she doesn't have problems physically with her changing body, it is almost assured that she will have some difficulty adjusting to the mental pressure of being the favorite at every event she competes in. She can afford to have an off year then come back strong in the Olympic season, which is what I expect to happen. Consecutive world championships are rare, and I don't think anyone in modern times has won the first two world championships that she has competed in.