1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    That post is so awesome. Thank you.
    That's so nice thank you ! Just sharing thoughts on my favourite discipline

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyasnake View Post
    whole post
    THIS. So much, thanks a lot, Anyasnake for that view of the situation I'm sharing

what bothers me the most reading a lot of people's opinions on ID teams, programs etc. is how they tend to stress out individualities inside those teams - I mean, the girls in weaker, boy is too shy, another one is a diva or have so striking skills comparing to his/her partner...As you've said - it takes two to make a team able to last through tough times, times of errors, puberty, injuries, other stuff, of course - it's only for the best if you have 2 individuals with striking skills like e.g. Guillaume or incredible personality, natural performer talent like e.g. Elena, but the key is to use them for team's best, to allow these skills to shine on their fullest while being shared with partner. And for me, that great, individual skill, more 'stiking' one in comparison to the partner means more of a responsibility than a 'right' to shine on is own. But it takes TIME to understand each other strenghts, weaknesses, UNDERSTANDING and WILLINGNESS towards individual preferences, things different between two people and mutual RESPECT about partnership and unit they want to make. Two people could be polar opposites of each other in terms of character/expression, but if they have an iron strong work ethic and common goal channelled in passion for the sport and are willing to themselves time, adding healthy environment and right team around - there's no way they could not make it happen. But you have to be strict towards yourself for the sake of another and the team you're gonna make, no excuses.

two great examples of making it work despite issues are Shibutanis and Weaver/Poje - through steady development, respect, supportive attitude to each other and being serious and professional about the team they were able to elevate their respective skills and as a results, made better partnerships on ice and reaching success. Shibutanis - even despite the stigma of 'siblings team' and period after 2011 with Maia's puberty issues, they were able to risk, re-vamp and blossom under different style, mastering their skill to the T. Kaitlyn and Andrew - even with some troubles with 'hitting' their stuff at Worlds past two seasons and material maybe not for every liking, they still managed to stay as a one of top ice dance teams, captivating audiences with chemistry they have and harmony in their movement. That stuff does not come overnight and they did for me even more rare and admirable thing as they could establish a kind of their personal signature, aside of solid performances and execution. And while I don't really dig in full their transfer to Morozov, I do think that this was the right decision to switch environments - they started new season in a 'rocky' manner during GP series, but it got better and better, with right peaking at Worlds. They showed great maturity and unity in times of change, their renewed poise, determination and mutual support were palpable for me - getting the best out of them in a season of change coach, with PBs at WTT where they were flawless at the end of it proves how strong their bond is as partners, the fuel and fire are given by both of them with same force I feel.

and I'm glad that I'm not alone with Elena/Ruslan material as main flaw setting them backwards, along with lack of mutual engagement into one, precise direction. For me, there's too much stressing put onto Elena: her personality, performer's quality, talent etc. and the paradox thing is that lately their programs did not even show those qualities off. You have to firstly understand each other, work with each other - on skills, style, way of movement, expression - and work closely with your team to come up with the best material possible to reflect your hard work, natural qualities and level of chemistry. A showy program that seems to be 'judge pleaser' due to theme/music/style is not a solution if it's forced concept, especially with no solid execution backing. Commitment into something badly done, unpolished is not enough, fierce face should be matched with sharp skill executed to defend that face and whole team.

First - realisation that this is a team work, demanding from both sides involved and whole team around is the key. You have to put your striking qualities aside and learn how to work, skate, perform the best in two and after that - how to jointly incorporate and express your individuality for team's sake, not yours. You could have different personalities between the partners, but if you're able to make a harmonious unity on ice, it's a great thing even with some mistakes, but it takes time to make that impression every time stepping on ice, not only occasionally with some more 'fitting' program.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    That's good but this is also Russian ice dance! From 1975 to 2013 every single worlds before the Olympics (and almost all the others) had one or multiple Russian medalists. Every Olympics had Russian winners or medalists. What about the expectations for success? Why should a team like I/k continue when they don't medal at worlds or even place second at Olympics? The team obviously was a huge failure that didnt work. They need to stop changing partners? How many people was navka and kostomarev and grishuk and platov have? Russia still thinks it has a formula for success and that's why unlike almost all other countries their dance teams don't train in North America. So they just have to find the right combination of skaters. All the teams must be terrible. So create new ones.

5 Not allowed!
    Guillaume is one of the best dancers we have ever seen with his fluid, beautiful movement, but I don't think he'd have the success he's had without Gabriella. She brings the soul through her eyes and face. Her style of movement also complements him perfectly and I don't think any other ice dancer competing in the senior level right now would complement him as well. Most importantly, they are together emotionally and psychologically. Elena with Guillaume would not work for many reasons already stated above. I think that partnership would be a huge mismatch and would be jarring to watch.

Elena needs to work on her partnering skills because three seasons later and she and Ruslan still have a mismatched quality and she hasn't shown any willingness to work on it as their material still seems to be all about her and Ruslan has to adapt to her.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 05-05-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Tripping on the Podium

1 Not allowed!
    I don't really like to comment much on Elena, because fandom ruined her for me a bit, but the only program that seemed to be on point for them was their first SD back in 2014. It worked in a way nothing else did after - and why's that? It seemed like all they did since then was change styles left and right and never find anything that adapted to them, something to grow into. None of their programs were inspired, yes, I'm still in no-Frida camp. And then it wasn't just the programs because mistakes and lack of preparation, and even lack of competition (I mean, B/S competed more this season than I/Z have competed in the last two) set them back.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    I/z competed in mordovian ornament which wasn't real and really really hurt them because everyone there lied to them.

0 Not allowed!
    Pretty much devastating. They're not so good at the moment.

0 Not allowed!
    Poor Ruslan, how is he so injured? when it happened?

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Holy smokes. Ruslan has officially retired.

Source: http://m.rsport.ru/figure_skating/20...120609673.html
    Last edited by Aqua Lady; 05-18-2017 at 07:10 AM.

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    Guys let's switch to the 2017-2018 thread, it might be easier to continue there for everybody Thanks !

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...sian-Ice-Dance

Page 79 of 79 FirstFirst ... 29 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79