2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance | Page 26 | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Russian Ice Dance

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
She was probably trying to compensate for the non existent transitions and not very interesting/innovative choreography. Coming from what they had last year in Frida she must have cried herself to sleep every night!! And yes Ruslan is not nearly as expressive as this dance needs him to be so again, how could this have been a prudent choice? To his credit though his presentation is much better in the SD. I think they need either classical or more character driven material for their FDs. I'm just an ID novice and even this is as clear as day. :confused2:

Yes, I think the choice of their FD theme this season is wrong. Props to them for trying to do something out of the box but it just doesn't work. Igor should know that. They should have scrapped it right from the start when they still had enough time to create something else...Damn, it's such a shame 😕

rosy14

Final Flight
Yes, I think the choice of their FD theme this season is wrong. Props to them for trying to do something out of the box but it just doesn't work. Igor should know that. They should have scrapped it right from the start when they still had enough time to create something else...Damn, it's such a shame 😕

Igor has now too many pairs to follow and I/S need a coach devoted all to themselves alone.
Besides I wouldn't have skated again a Bollywood theme after Davis/White, at least for 5 years more. Better to keep Frida, and improve it.

rosy14

Final Flight
If teams want to be successful they must copy all the teams that are successful! The russian teams to need to copy Montreal if they want to succeed now! Are they supposed to waste their careers and talent waiting for Russian style to be popular again? There is only IJS ice dance and Russians aren't doing it. They are the only ones not doing and why theirs is the only ice dance program in the world that is collapsing.

Copy is never a good thing, especially if you have already a name and you're no more junior. Even P/C this year seem not to be the same as yesteryear.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
It's interesting to see how many ice dancers the Russian Fed has released in the last few years. I wonder if it's because they aren't interested anymore in ice dance or if they don't see any future for these skaters in Russia.

Russian Fed was releasing their ice dancers for a long time already (and not just ice dancers) and i'm very appreciative of that... Because they really have a lot of skaters in the country... And after all, those skaters represents not just their federations, they represent themselves in the first place, and also an ice dance or figure skating as a sport in general.

Last edited:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
It's interesting to see how many ice dancers the Russian Fed has released in the last few years. I wonder if it's because they aren't interested anymore in ice dance or if they don't see any future for these skaters in Russia.
Well, I'm not surprised they gave her a release. But I'm sure if for example Yanovskaya/Mozgov hadn't splitted up and decided to represent some other country, they wouldn't have got a release. You can go alone, but not like a competitive team.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
If teams want to be successful they must copy all the teams that are successful! The russian teams to need to copy Montreal if they want to succeed now! Are they supposed to waste their careers and talent waiting for Russian style to be popular again? There is only IJS ice dance and Russians aren't doing it. They are the only ones not doing and why theirs is the only ice dance program in the world that is collapsing.

Maybe "copy" isn't the word... The same genre as Montreal, but Russian style... Wouldn't it be interesting to see Russian teams do modern contemporary-ish numbers? ❤️

bramweld

Record Breaker
Well, I'm not surprised they gave her a release. But I'm sure if for example Yanovskaya/Mozgov hadn't splitted up and decided to represent some other country, they wouldn't have got a release. You can go alone, but not like a competitive team.

I wonder couldn't they just release Lena and Ruslan? Its not as if they're interested in them and they do have sufficient talent. Tarasova or some other respected official should just gently suggest it. They could skate for Kazakstan and Russia I am sure would be more than happy with B/S, S/B, S/K and L/D. Just saying, it may be the only way we get to enjoy them going forwards.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Maybe "copy" isn't the word... The same genre as Montreal, but Russian style... Wouldn't it be interesting to see Russian teams do modern contemporary-ish numbers? ❤️

I agree about the word genre but judges are rejecting everything of a Russian style. I don't even think the big teams should train there anymore. Bobrova and Soloviev must move to Detroit to be trained by Camerlengo if possible.

Copy is never a good thing, especially if you have already a name and you're no more junior. Even P/C this year seem not to be the same as yesteryear.

I didn't mean copy exactly just like what was stated above. More of a genre.

Last edited:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I wonder couldn't they just release Lena and Ruslan? Its not as if they're interested in them and they do have sufficient talent. Tarasova or some other respected official should just gently suggest it. They could skate for Kazakstan and Russia I am sure would be more than happy with B/S, S/B, S/K and L/D. Just saying, it may be the only way we get to enjoy them going forwards.
I think no. Maybe they would give a release just to Ruslan, but not to a pair and not to Elena. She's an Olympic medalist, so much funds were invested in her preparation, so don't think that Russian fed is just so generous. Moreover, I doubt she'd want to represent another country.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice

I don't think I/Z would want to be released from the Russian Fed, nor do I think the Russian Fed will allow it... I think they see light at the end of the tunnel after finishing 0.17 points behind S/K at Russian Nats. They could catch up next season... We never know!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I highly doubt the Russian Fed would release them but it would be interesting to see them skate for Kazakhstan where Elena was born.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Leaving Russia would be bad because they'd lose lots of funding but on the good side wouldn't be interfered with by the clueless ignorant Russian dance establishment. So if they could get a sponsor who could move them to Detroit it could help. Of course a big problem is zhiganshin but it's possible he is being told to be reserved because Russian ice dance has been about showcasing the woman for a long time. That's not IJS though.

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Igor was completely honest with I/Z about what they were getting with him. He was going to fix their technique issues, not give them choreographic masterpieces. And he made it perfectly clear they were not going to be given special treatment in his group. In the teaser videos from before the test skates, you saw technique improvements. And the judges liked it better than the supposed masterpiece Frida. The problem is, there is ample evidence that the rumors about Elena not training hard over the summer were true.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Igor was completely honest with I/Z about what they were getting with him. He was going to fix their technique issues, not give them choreographic masterpieces. And he made it perfectly clear they were not going to be given special treatment in his group. In the teaser videos from before the test skates, you saw technique improvements. And the judges liked it better than the supposed masterpiece Frida. The problem is, there is ample evidence that the rumors about Elena not training hard over the summer were true.

It's true about Elena but you still have the problem of Ruslan.

Marta25

Medalist
It's true about Elena but you still have the problem of Ruslan.

There is no "problem" with Ruslan. If you compare how Ruslan skated in 2014 with Sinitsina and he is skating now with Elena, you see a great improvement in his skating and I look forward to I/Z`s development in the next seasons. Look, if people expected S/K or I/Z to be I/K 2.0 then of course they will be disappointed. I/K are over and it doesn`t look like they are going to get back together. Even if they would get back together, they would be confronted with so many obstacles, who knows how successful they would be. Ice Dance doesn`t stand still and their momentum from 2014 is pretty much gone.

gmyers

Record Breaker
There is no "problem" with Ruslan. If you compare how Ruslan skated in 2014 with Sinitsina and he is skating now with Elena, you see a great improvement in his skating and I look forward to I/Z`s development in the next seasons. Look, if people expected S/K or I/Z to be I/K 2.0 then of course they will be disappointed. I/K are over and it doesn`t look like they are going to get back together. Even if they would get back together, they would be confronted with so many obstacles, who knows how successful they would be. Ice Dance doesn`t stand still and their momentum from 2014 is pretty much gone.

Are you speaking of his technical abilities as a skater? If so you can be accurate but is he working well with Elena? Even if has improved technically and improved his projection overall he's still not working with Elena on an artistic level. She is just too dominant. No team can be a Fusar Poli /Margaglio anymore.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Are you speaking of his technical abilities as a skater? If so you can be accurate but is he working well with Elena? Even if has improved technically and improved his projection overall he's still not working with Elena on an artistic level. She is just too dominant. No team can be a Fusar Poli /Margaglio anymore.

So who would be a good partner for Elena in your opinion? She seems to enjoy working with Ruslan - I seem to remember her stating that he calms her down when she gets upset. Obviously working with a prima donna Katsalopov didn't work out for her!

gmyers

Record Breaker
So who would be a good partner for Elena in your opinion? She seems to enjoy working with Ruslan - I seem to remember her stating that he calms her down when she gets upset. Obviously working with a prima donna Katsalopov didn't work out for her!

Someone like an Ilia Tkachenko but really Ruslan could take some classes on acting or something!