2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread | Golden Skate

2016 Summer Olympics Random Chat Thread

Layback11

Record Breaker
As this is a figure skating forum, I was not expecting to talk about Rio much on here-but I was tickled pink to find that there is a new section of the forum for Summer Olympics discussion! :cheer: What are you guys looking forward to watching?

Personally, I can't wait for rhythmic gymnastics (artistic too, but I know more about rhythmic). I plan to fangirl intensely over Melitina Staniouta. :yes:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I am a huge sports fan in general, Olympics are always a high point in the year for me. :thumbsup: I went to the Olympics in Athens in 2004, it was an incredible experience which I'll treasure forever.
Not obsessed or anything, but I already made a viewing schedule for all my favorite sports (which I just noticed has a mistake in it, oops).

Rio is good for Europeans, most events take place in roughly the 3 pm to second-half-of-the-evening timeblock... unless you like Swimming or Athletics, in which case of course you're out of luck, because NBC insisted those events take place in the Rio evening (our dead-of-night).

Sports I'm gonna try and watch: Diving, all Equestrian disciplines, all Gymnastics disciplines, and maybe a bit of synchronized swimming, but horses and gymnastics already pretty much cover the whole two weeks, so I will probably focus on those.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I usually watch randomly (all kinds of races: in track, in swimming, in rowing etc. + volleyball!), unless I know there are Poles competing then I watch to cheer for them (and there are always some in final rounds, mostly in Athletics). I don't really have any favourites since I know nothing from technical point of view, but I really like to watch diving and gymnastics as whole. For similar reasons as figure skating :)

ioanna

Record Breaker
For those of you who will be watching artistic gymnastics and haven't kept up with the news, there will be no Romanian team in the women's event because they haven't qualified. The FIG is giving them a spot and until the Olympics it will be a fight between Larisa Iordache and Catalina Ponor.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I might watch enthusiastically all sports related to water because it's summer Olympics.

I also love watching any racket sports, especially tennis.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm going to watch it all! I am somewhat knowledgeable about the running events, i.e. Track and Field and the Marathon. It's going to be great fun!

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I also saw a description of a Pentathalon which sounds absolutely nuts! Who does this sport? How rich are these people??
:biggrin:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
For those of you who will be watching artistic gymnastics and haven't kept up with the news, there will be no Romanian team in the women's event because they haven't qualified. The FIG is giving them a spot and until the Olympics it will be a fight between Larisa Iordache and Catalina Ponor.

I don't follow gymnastics at all, but know who Nadia Comaneci is. That her country having produced one of the biggest gymnastic stars in history can't keep up with the current requirement sounds ironic.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
I don't follow gymnastics at all, but know who Nadia Comaneci is. That her country having produced one of the biggest gymnastic stars in history can't keep up with the current requirement sounds ironic.

It sounds ironic but the sad reality is that most Romanian coaches have left the country to train other teams (Team USA, Team UK) because there are very low incomes in Romania. So the teams that are successful today have been following a system that was taught by Romanian coaches.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It sounds ironic but the sad reality is that most Romanian coaches have left the country to train other teams (Team USA, Team UK) because there are very low incomes in Romania. So the teams that are successful today have been following a system that was taught by Romanian coaches.

That situation in Romania sounds just same as the current predominance of North American skaters in ice dance taught by formerly Soviet ice dancers who immigrated to North America.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
I will go to Rio, it is a 2 hours flight from Montevideo so I won't miss school. I will attend to Gymnastics, RG, Sinchronized Swimming, Athletics and Tennis. I cannot wait!!

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I also saw a description of a Pentathalon which sounds absolutely nuts! Who does this sport?
:biggrin:
*whispers* People who don't excel in any one of those five sports, so aren't good enough to earn a medal in the 'proper' sports. *runs for the hills*

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's just what I always think with that kind of event (there are a few in athletics, too, that combine various disciplines). No offense intended to anyone, I know I couldn't do any of it. I only ride on horseback, and I'm already happy enough to be able to stay in the saddle every time I ride. ;-)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I will go to Rio, it is a 2 hours flight from Montevideo so I won't miss school. I will attend to Gymnastics, RG, Sinchronized Swimming, Athletics and Tennis. I cannot wait!!

Your plan sounds very pricey and I'm jealous of you to attend tennis competition at Rio.

ines42575

On the Ice
Country
Uruguay
Yess Crossover, I will watch ladies and men, 1 cuarterfinal match each. I will go with my parents and little sister. Tickets for us were not so expensive

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
*whispers* People who don't excel in any one of those five sports, so aren't good enough to earn a medal in the 'proper' sports. *runs for the hills*

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's just what I always think with that kind of event (there are a few in athletics, too, that combine various disciplines). No offense intended to anyone, I know I couldn't do any of it. I only ride on horseback, and I'm already happy enough to be able to stay in the saddle every time I ride. ;-)

Imagine a Speed-skating/Figure Skating/Curling/Luge mash-up. :biggrin: