Montreal to Host the 2016 Autumn Classic | Golden Skate

Montreal to Host the 2016 Autumn Classic

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Press Release 4/22/16

OTTAWA,ON: Skate Canada has announced that it will host the 2016 Autumn Classic International in Montreal, Quebec from September 28 – October 1, 2016 at the Sportsplexe Pierrefonds.7

After a one-year hiatus, the senior international figure skating competition is once again a part of the International Skating Union’s (ISU) Challenger Series. Senior events in men’s, ladies, pair and ice dance will feature some of the top skaters in the world. A junior men’s and ladies competition will also take place, that will not be included in the Challenger Series.

“Skate Canada is pleased to be back in the ISU Challenger Series and we are excited to be heading to Montreal. This is a great opportunity for skaters to collect valuable world standing points,” said Dan Thompson, CEO, Skate Canada.

The 2016 Autumn Classic International is one of 10 competitions that will form the ISU Challenger Series. Athletes at the senior level have the opportunity to earn world standing points. Competitors are eligible to participate in up to three Challenger Series events.

Barrie, Ontario hosted the event from 2014-2015, with last year featuring 52 entries from 21 countries.

Tickets for the event will only be available at the door and specific athlete entries will be identified throughout late summer and fall of 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Tickets for the event will only be available at the door and specific athlete entries will be identified throughout late summer and fall of 2016.

First come, first served!

We might try to do this!

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Do we know if the announcement means that all-event tickets will go on sale the morning of the 28th? I'm new to attending actual events and apologize for not knowing the protocol. I read stories last year of people camping out, but do not remember the date. I have a hotel reservation for 9/28--10/2 and perhaps should make it a day earlier? I'd appreciate any advice!

Upnights

On the Ice
Do we know if the announcement means that all-event tickets will go on sale the morning of the 28th? I'm new to attending actual events and apologize for not knowing the protocol. I read stories last year of people camping out, but do not remember the date. I have a hotel reservation for 9/28--10/2 and perhaps should make it a day earlier? I'd appreciate any advice!

You're really plunging into the live competition world, JustRozy! Every single competition I've gone to, from the little Mid-Atlantics to Worlds has been super-fun. I hope it's the same for you!

I don't know how they'll arrange things in Montreal, but last year, in Barrie, I arrived a day early so that I could get up before dawn & line up at around 6am - inside the building. There were already around 100 Japanese ladies in front of me. We were able to get tickets (actually wristbands) for the 3 days of the event on that 1st morning. I went there alone, but I happened to meet another goldenskate poster there in line next to me & we saved each other's place in line that 1st day & sat together & saved each other's seat (& have a friendship now!). Despite there being maybe 150-200 very committed Japanese fans there, we are also committed fans & got there early each day & got the same very good 2nd-row seats each day. I don't think anyone was unable to get in to see the skating - even fans who arrived on the 2nd or 3rd day. The latecomers just didn't get the best seats or had to stand. There were about 500 seats, all on one side & they apparently allowed 3 rows of standees, but I only saw 2 rows.

This was all because Yuzuru was there. I hope he goes again this year (& then I will go too). If he doesn't go this year, it will most likely be no problem to show up at whatever time & get a ticket. (Although if Virtue & Moir start their season there instead of Nebelhorn, there might be more fans showing up.)

I had a Plan B in case I flew all the way there & couldn't get a ticket: I would spend a few days in Toronto. Plan B this year would be more fabulous: spending time in Montreal.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
You're really plunging into the live competition world, JustRozy! Every single competition I've gone to, from the little Mid-Atlantics to Worlds has been super-fun. I hope it's the same for you!

I don't know how they'll arrange things in Montreal, but last year, in Barrie, I arrived a day early so that I could get up before dawn & line up at around 6am - inside the building. There were already around 100 Japanese ladies in front of me. We were able to get tickets (actually wristbands) for the 3 days of the event on that 1st morning. I went there alone, but I happened to meet another goldenskate poster there in line next to me & we saved each other's place in line that 1st day & sat together & saved each other's seat (& have a friendship now!). Despite there being maybe 150-200 very committed Japanese fans there, we are also committed fans & got there early each day & got the same very good 2nd-row seats each day. I don't think anyone was unable to get in to see the skating - even fans who arrived on the 2nd or 3rd day. The latecomers just didn't get the best seats or had to stand. There were about 500 seats, all on one side & they apparently allowed 3 rows of standees, but I only saw 2 rows.

This was all because Yuzuru was there. I hope he goes again this year (& then I will go too). If he doesn't go this year, it will most likely be no problem to show up at whatever time & get a ticket. (Although if Virtue & Moir start their season there instead of Nebelhorn, there might be more fans showing up.)

I had a Plan B in case I flew all the way there & couldn't get a ticket: I would spend a few days in Toronto. Plan B this year would be more fabulous: spending time in Montreal.

Thank you, Upnights! This is very helpful and reassuring! I will try to change my hotel rez to the 27th, just in case. My eyes are perhaps bigger than my tummy, so I might not go...except if Yuzuru is there again this year we will meet pre-dawn in line!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Press Release 4/22/16

... Tickets for the event will only be available at the door and specific athlete entries will be identified throughout late summer and fall of 2016.

Do we know if the announcement means that all-event tickets will go on sale the morning of the 28th? ...

Hmmm ... the possibility of advance ticket sales now is mentioned on this year's event page on the Skate Canada site:

For information about advance ticket sales, email [email protected]

The page has prices for all-event tix, and for single-day tix. (All seating is general admission.)
Also box office hours, which begin Thu Sep 29.

Event page on the Skate Canada site:

And the official Announcement for the Challenger part of the Autumn Classic has been posted on the ISU event page.

Aug 26 is the entry deadline for Challenger competitors.
Tentative times for the competition segments are on page 10 of the Announcement.
Thu Sep 29 is the first day of official practice for Challenger competitors.

Eleven-page Announcement:

Event page on the ISU site:

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Hmmm ... the possibility of advance ticket sales now is mentioned on this year's event page on the Skate Canada site:

For information about advance ticket sales, email [email protected]

The page has prices for all-event tix, and for single-day tix. (All seating is general admission.)
Also box office hours, which begin Thu Sep 29.

Event page on the Skate Canada site:

And the official Announcement for the Challenger part of the Autumn Classic has been posted on the ISU event page.

Aug 26 is the entry deadline for Challenger competitors.
Tentative times for the competition segments are on page 10 of the Announcement.
Thu Sep 29 is the first day of official practice for Challenger competitors.

Eleven-page Announcement:

Event page on the ISU site:

Thank you, ice coverage, well spotted! I have emailed the address you listed and will post any reply.

Last edited:

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Upnights, Two posts up from here, Ice Coverage lists an email for information about possible advance AC ticket sales: " For information about advance ticket sales, email [email protected] " I've queried also & will share any reply.

JustRozy

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks! I got a reservation! Are you going?

It's great you're going! I have hotel reservations but am waiting to see if Yuzuru's competing before finally deciding. I do have tickets (breathe..must remember to breathe...) for SA and SC, and a third trip from North Carolina would be a lot, for me!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i emailed as well... but waiting to see who is going ;) crossing finger that since Patrick won't be at Japan open that same weekend that he may go there....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I booked tickets. It will be my first ever live event. Hopefully, there will be a few big names, considering it is one month before SC

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
considering how many pairs and dance teams train in Montreal, if ever the single events aren't so good, we can hope for pairs and dance... I booked for Friday and Saturday. I am excited ;)
I have a feeling there will be big names & I bet you'll really enjoy it:)

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I heard Canadian entries will be announced sept 5

Do you mean that you heard from a non-GS source??

I've copied below what Mango said in the Thornhill thread: that skaters will be informed. Mango's wording did not go so far as to say that Skate Canada will make a public announcement on the same date.

One of the parents whose kid is competing mentioned that September 5 is when Skate Canada will inform skaters who's going to Autumn Classic. ...

I get the impression that sometimes USFS privately informs Team USA skaters of assignments -- but holds back from making a public announcement until later.
Could the same be true for Skate Canada and its skaters?

Last edited:

Skatergal101

On the Ice
Do you mean that you heard from a non-GS source??

I've copied below what Mango said in the Thornhill thread: that skaters will be informed. Mango's wording did not go so far as to say that Skate Canada will make a public announcement on the same date.

I get the impression that sometimes USFS privately informs Team USA skaters of assignments -- but holds back from making a public announcement until later.
Could the same be true for Skate Canada and its skaters?

http://static.isu.org/media/373754/cs-ondrej-nepela-memorial-2016_annoucement.pdf
page 6 - The names of all team members must be listed on the Entry Form “Composition of Delegation” and must reach the Organizing Committee and the ISU Secretariat (addresses mentioned above), not later than Monday, September 5th, 2016 – 20:00 h (local time Bratislava).

it says this on each announcement for the senior B competitions. Does this mean thats when the names will be released?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://static.isu.org/media/373754/cs-ondrej-nepela-memorial-2016_annoucement.pdf
page 6 - The names of all team members must be listed on the Entry Form “Composition of Delegation” and must reach the Organizing Committee and the ISU Secretariat (addresses mentioned above), not later than Monday, September 5th, 2016 – 20:00 h (local time Bratislava).

it says this on each announcement for the senior B competitions. Does this mean thats when the names will be released?

AFAIK, it does not mean that the names must be announced on that date.

Don't get me wrong ... I too always am curious :popcorn:, and I hope for the public announcement to come sooner rather than later.

Just don't want a collective GS outcry :drama: and collective gnashing of teeth ;) if we are kept waiting a little longer.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well... for what it's worth, I was told entries would be announced late August, when I booked my tickets.