2016 Nebelhorn General Chat & First Info | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn General Chat & First Info

Alex D

Record Breaker
Teaser:

For many skaters, the Nebelhorn Trophy will be their opener to the upcoming season, a season in which results might matter more, than in the years before, as the final result at worlds in Helsinki, will also serve as a qualification, for the next winter Olympics.

Therefore, while Oberstdorf won´t hand out the final Olympic spots this season, but next year, it is not a surprise, that we once again have a highly talented field with the likes of Madison Chock & Evan Bates - aiming for a back to back title, while former World champion Elizaveta Tuktamysheva is on her comeback trail. Of course, also several local heroes will take part, such as bronze medalists of Boston Aljona Savchenko and Bruno Massot, who will aim for a higher difficulty this season and a few more medals on the way.

That being said, the ice dance field looks really delicious this year, not only because of a brand new "Hip – Hop groove" in the SD, but also because of the super creative couples that are going to be playing with said opportunities. Madi and Evan I already mentioned, but we also have to look out for Piper Gilles and Paul Poirier from Canada, who are super creative and ahead of the times with their programs, showing you things, that you did not know are possible on the ice.

Quite possible, is a medal for Elena Ilinykh & Ruslan Zhiganshin who step on the ice for the very first time at Oberstdorf. A couple which was found after the Sochi Olympics in which Elena was highly decorated with gold in the team and a bronze at the ice dance competition with her former partner Katsalapov. After the split, a new partner was found and able to slightly tame the wildcat that Ilinykh is. Nevertheless, does this young couple make the blood boil and you can expect spectacular lift elements inspired by Cirque du Soleil and a huge amount of passion. (The Russians sadly pulled out)

Last but not least, we also have former world champions Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte, who will celebrate their return after a six year break from the Trophy. The Italians with the big heart and a huge sense of humor, are not only worth their money during competition days, but especially in their Gala performances, of which we will see one at Saturday evening when the big exhibition takes place at Oberstdorf.

Apart from the huge quality at ice dancing, there are especially in pairs, couples that will make your jaw drop. One of these couples is going to be Liubov Ilyushechkina & Dylan Moscovitch. She, a former Russian skater, teamed up with the Canadian in 2014, after he asked her on Facebook! If he convinced her with his American charm, or non existing Russian language skills, I don´t know, but in the following years, these two great skaters managed to combine difficulty and creativity, making you wow whenever they perform. The chemistry between both is real and they rocked my day at Boston 2016 and will surely do the same for you, in a few weeks at Oberstdorf.

Who also always rocks my day, are of course our Ladies and yes, Karoliina is back! What, you never heard about her? Oh boy, where have you been last season during my coverage? I am talking of a young Fin who made a lot of people ask me questions about her. The 16 years old, Luhtonen, impressed with a great level of maturity and will be accompanied by Emmi Peltonnen, who is not less amazing!

While no other Fins signed up yet, we will have another lady traveling alone, with Isadora Williams, who managed to qualify for Sochi with a huge amount of tears three years ago at this very venue here, becoming the first Brazilian lady at an Olympic figure skating event.
We have more, of course, the 19 starters, strong field, will also feature the German national champion Lutricia Bock, Canadians powerhouse Gabby Daleman, South Koreans So Youn Park and former silver medalist at the JGP scene Serafima Sakhanovich from Russia.

Last but not least, there are also a few quadruple jumps around the corner, when the likes of Franz Streubel, Grant Hochstein and Liam Firus step on the ice. Also Alexander Majorov is back, after having a pretty harsh time over the past months, fighting injuries and a very tough diagnosis for the family. Luckily, for all of us, he is back with a beautiful Bond program and a Finish Polka.

So if you want to know how much cooler Madi can be, how many more muscles Liubov has grown, what type of dress Lucie and Liza will bring to the red carpet and how many spins make you dizzy, then this is your chance! Pick up your hiking boots and visit Oberstdorf where we are going to be spoiled at this years Trophy!

Tickets can be picked up directly at the venue, with a first come, first serve seating policy and if you can´t join us at Oberstdorf, then you will still be able to watch all the action, live on stream!

ISU event page for 2016 Nebelhorn.
http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...alendar-of-events/2016/09/cs-nebelhorn-trophy

Eisportzentrum Oberstdorf,

Google Maps

Announcement:

Ice Sport Centre

Social Media Contact:

Eisportzentrum Oberstdorf

Deutsche Eislauf - Union

Livestream:

Official Nebelhorn Trophy Channel

Tickets:

Box Office

Entries:

Click me

Schedule: (subject to change)

Click me

Wednesday, September 21th, 2016

- Official Practice

Thursday, September 22th, 2016

- Ice Dance Short Dance

- Pairs Short Program

- Men Short Program

Friday, September 23th, 2016

- Ladies Short Program

- Pairs Free Skating

- Victory Ceremony Pairs

- Men Free Skating

- Victory Ceremony Men

Saturday, September 24th, 2016

- Ladies Free Skating

- Ice Dance Free Dance

- Victory Ceremony Ladies & Ice Dance

- Victory Ceremony Fritz-Geiger-Memorial Trophy

- Exhibition

Impressions from the past:

Column 2014
Column 2015

Video´s 2015

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Entries:

Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir ...

Really? Are Tessa/Scott :luv17: already known to be Nebelhorn entries??

Sorry if I am out of the loop, but how so?

Has there been an official announcement? From them? From Dubreuil/Lauzon? From Skate Canada? From Germany?

Very curious to know more, please.

For my own convenience, adding the link to the ISU event page for 2016 Nebelhorn.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that's a strong team... and now we know who is not going to Montreal... I would have LOVED to see all these guys but especially Gilles and Poirier... but if Weapo or Tessa and Scott are the ones showing up in Montreal, that's fine by me. I guess Elladj won't have the pressure to defend his title. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in Montreal... Liam is now training in Montreal but I think since he is doing SC, it's great that the fed is sending him out of the country ! Gosh, I am getting excited about the next season and it's not even august yet.
IFS Magazine just tweeted the Canadian skaters going & Tessa & Scott aren't among them.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ifsmagazine/status/758477276438732800/photo/1

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I/M & G/P :hap93: A good move from Skate Canada to test some skaters abroad :agree:

Keith

Rinkside
Kavita Lorenz and Panagiotis Polizoakis have said they will compete here via instgram.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Entries were due to yesterday, I hope they will publish them this week :)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Alex D, are you kidding with Tessa and Scott? :cool:

Sorry for the late reply!

I was not, as this was an information that I picked up at Bavarian Open. But of course, things can change and I just came back and did not invest any time yet into FS, so I have no further update there or news. Olympic seasons that collide with football tournaments are always tough for my shedule.

But I have a few other news,

among the skaters going,

Liza Tuktamysheva
Mari Vartmann & Ruben Blommaert
Aljona & Bruno
Isadora Williams

As always, take that information with care and don´t hunt me down, if one or the other, might not show up. I will try to keep you updated if anything comes across my ears or eyes this week. Any questions just shoot.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Excited to see Serafima and Liza, but the entry list for the men is pretty disappointing, I must say.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
US entries look interesting - especially men Tim Dolensky and Grant Hochstein !! and Madison & Evan! :clap: looking forward to each discipline... hope everyone enjoys the experience and brings home some medals!

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Excited to see Serafima and Liza, but the entry list for the men is pretty disappointing, I must say.

If it helps, I can attempt a single toe and up the quality a bit?

US entries look interesting - especially men Tim Dolensky and Grant Hochstein !! and Madison & Evan! :clap: looking forward to each discipline... hope everyone enjoys the experience and brings home some medals!

Ya I need to craft some good questions for Madison and Evan, we always laugh a lot at Nebelhorn.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If it helps, I can attempt a single toe and up the quality a bit?

:laugh: Go for it!

It's just that in the past there have usually been some European or World medalists, big names to look forward to...and most of all I will miss Menshov. :sad21: But at least the other disciplines have some intriguing entries.