2016 JGP Germany First Info & Chat | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Germany First Info & Chat

Alex D

Record Breaker
Date:

05.October - 08. October

Preview:

This years, Junior GP season is coming to an end slowly, with two more events to go including the grand final at Marseilles in December. The pre ultimate event and therefore last chance to qualify will be held at Dresden, featuring a stellar Line up of former champions.

Anna Duskova and Martin Bidar, the current reigning Junior World Champions in pairs, will headline a big field of highly talented skaters in which only two of the top five from last year´s Championships are missing. The charming Czech couple, which improved throughout the whole last season, will face the best Russian Juniors pair with Anastasia Mishina and Vladislav Mirzoev, in which she presents a unique jumping technique and both together a huge star appeal on ice. If we talk about stars, then we also have to look at Ukraine which will be represented by our former "race drivers" Renata Oganesian and Mark Bardei, a pair which always grabs you with their speed and very story driven performances.

If we look over to the Ladies, then we will be able to witness one of the greatest advanced novice from the past, Anastasiia Gubanova. The young Russian, is finally in her very first Juniors season, a season that she already started with a bang at Ostrava, in which she managed to instantly secure the win with a cracking score of 185.59 points.
Similar achieved Yuna Shiraiwa from Japan, when she won two JGP events last season, advancing to one of the stars in 2015. Together with Mako Yamashita, a thrilling battle for gold is about to happen and who knows, maybe someone else will reach out her hands to one of the medals. One of those ladies could be Anastasia Gozhva from Ukraine, who already won a bronze last season at the Bavarian Open, an event in which she brought a little bit bling – bling and huge variety with her programs.
If we talk about variety, then of course also the national champion, Lutricia Bock comes to mind. The 17 years old, who is currently working with Ingo Steuer, will skate her SP to a "Love in Venice" and presents Germany together with Berlin based skater Annika Hocke and the lady with the huge smiles and hometown hero, Lea Johanna Dastich.

Huge smiles and big expressions can also be found at the Ice Dance competition in which we will be able to watch the future stars like the US Americans Eliana Gropman and Ian Somerville, who convinced last season with their maturity and skill against "much older" opponents already and will give us a little taste, of our brand new addition "Hip Hop"! (been replaced by the Parsons) The hot favorites with a more traditional approach of Swing and Blues will be coming from Russia with Anastasia Shpilevaya and Grigory Smirnov, who are going to rock the party, with their uplifting rhythms and great joy.

Last but not least, we will also see the junior men in action, with a total of 30 skaters from all around the world. Tickets can be picked up directly at the venue with a first come, first serve policy. If you can not join us at Dresden, then you will still be able to follow all the action at the official ISU JGP Stream, on Youtube!

Dresden, Energie-Verbund ARENA

Google Maps

Schedule (subject to changes):

Click Me

Live Stream:

Click me

Impressions from 2014:

Column

ISU YT Channel

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I am looking for a more detailed schedule like the one they always have

It's never available on Tuesday? They always publish it on Wednesday (of the Time zone the competition is held). Becuase they have to do draw first....

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Practice day, as it happened

Wednesday,

cold and rainy, bubbly skaters, an angel, Mr Orsers apprentice, barrels of booze and some nasty falls, describe best, what I encountered today. At first, I took a night train, to arrive early and those who might know German Night trains, can imagine how this was. Zombies everywhere, people sleeping on the floor and you were happy to not got hit by some arm or leg during night. Luckily it was over quickly, but my room was ready with a warm bath... well in my dreams!
Nope, I went in all my beauty directly to the ice rink and I arrived at the venue, when young Holly Harris stepped on the ice and isn´t she lovely? Brooklee was right about her, she has got talent, the little snowflake as I will call her for now, she has triple Sal and Loop, but also doesn't mind adding a double toe ;). I like how she is reaching out to the music, really wanting to skate to it, with expression and posture. For a 13 years old, pretty decent if you ask me.
Not so bad was of course our "angel" and this girl does not seem to age at all. Anastasiia Gubanova, is as calm as always and at times, cracks a little smile for those watching. While other girls struggled with their jumps, she just put them on the ice bravely as it was nothing, triple Lutz - triple toe - double toe, great loop and Sal, and since it was so nice, the Lutz - toe comb again. I also really enjoyed her stepsequence of the FP, she put´s so much into her skating, just lovely and she is skating for the audience, no matter if one guy is watching or a million.

Not yet a million for my lovely Nastia Gozhva, but she is on the right track, even though the Axel made a few hiccups today. She has grown up so much over the years and still, she is that tiny figure, with the wonderful expression and arms, such a soft style of skating. She did a triple Flip - double Toe - double Loop today, but it´s always a bit on the edge with her jumps, but she can do it, she just needs to believe in herself.
Believe, is a good word for Agi Rejment and really guys, she has improved a lot over the past two years and I never doubted her! Did you see her Axel in 2014, it was barely a jump and now, she can do the double, or her footwork, she is much lighter now and really goes with the music, especially the SP music, really suits her character and yes, she still has that look on her face, if she falls - but hey she is still young and as far I can tell, the Siudeks did a good job with her. A good or should I say, perfect job has done Mr. Orser. No matter who he coaches, the skaters are always friendly off ice, respectful on ice and this is not a coincidence, its his work, as he is also coaching their personality, as seen with Alana Toktarova. You see in her eyes, that she is having a good time and while another lady of his group, is sooner or later going for a quad sal, she is going for triple Sal - double toe, a Axel combination and triple toe - double toe and fell heavily, but did not care, she did not show the pain until the practice was over, this is very mature and surely, something that these two have been working on, the composure, be proud to be a skater, something quite a lot of skaters, do not show sadly.
The Japanese were also nice, but I lost my piece of paper with the notes, but Yuna Aoki jumped so high, that I was afraid she would land on my lap, so much power and yet, gentle and soft skating. Our own Lutricia did her Lutz - toe over and over again, but in the end, after like five or six tries, Ingo was happy, Lutricia was happy and Alex was happy, as she finally did it.

Same, I would love to say about all our pairs, but it was quite a struggle today, I don´t know why, especially with the side by side jumps, as seen with Renata and Mark and she was so desperate to get the triple and was so sad when it just wasn´t her day, she lost her smile for a bit, but Mark was trying hard to get it back, he is always so friendly and positive.
Nonetheless, their FP is pretty cool, the vampires are surely put back into the casket and the prince and his princes are now on ice. They want to go for a double Axel comb and in general, their program is really difficult, as with the reverse lasso, that looks so dangerous and I like the exit a lot. I so hope, they can pull this program off. Vladi and Anastasia, a similar show, but here it was him, who did not manage the jumps, while she did everything perfect, great height and landings, and at times, they were skating their routine and she did jump and he did not, not sure if he might carry an injury or something, but I hope all is well!

Anna and Martin who decided to stick with juniors until Europeans, did not to bad either, but their coach had to find a few words to keep them going, sadly my Czech is bad, dobre.... uhm ya that´s it, but I believe it means good? Anyways, she drilled them so much today, but Anna just smiled it all away and they want to take it slow, so there is no rush anyways! Did you know they were in Canada this summer? Yap, that´s what I was told today, pretty cool and I am very curious how their development goes from now on, last year was a blast and remember, they always perform good in competition, practice can go bad at times, as seen with Dortmund last years.

I also liked that she had her dress on, as most skaters except the dancers and our color bird Hyang Mi Ro came in black or just a top, where pink is still my favorite of all practice outfits, I just like that color and Anna was in pink glitter indeed and I also like glitter, so that was jackpot today!

I saw some dance too, but not enough to give much feedback and our men, uff I saw one group and left, as I must have jinxed it, as not a single triple Axel, was landed :( or was it the booze, because there are lots of beer barrels at the ice rink, maybe the ISU want´s to start a party, but who is supposed to drink all that, the skaters are too young, I don´t drink, so it´s for the judges? :scratch2:

The men´s practice will start tomorrow at 7AM and Dance at 7.30 if you want to watch.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Anna and Martin who decided to stick with juniors until Europeans, did not to bad either, but their coach had to find a few words to keep them going, sadly my Czech is bad, dobre.... uhm ya that´s it, but I believe it means good? Anyways, she drilled them so much today, but Anna just smiled it all away and they want to take it slow, so there is no rush anyways! Did you know they were in Canada this summer? Yap, that´s what I was told today, pretty cool and I am very curious how their development goes from now on, last year was a blast and remember, they always perform good in competition, practice can go bad at times, as seen with Dortmund last years.

Yes 'dobre' means good :) And I actually knew they were in Canada it was mentioned in GS article :biggrin: Thanks for the report! Glad to know that Mark is so supportive of Renata :agree:

Alex D

Record Breaker
As it happened friday

So,

only a few words, as I have to get up very early tomorrow, as our Ladies practice at 6.30 and you know me... :eeking: I want them to do well and if I don´t go, nobody will be there, except the coaches, which is sad.
Anyways, today was a learning experience for me, there are so many rules that someone has to follow if he goes to these ISU event´s as a journalist and its been only my third ISU event, so you can imagine how that is, if you are the new guy in town ;)

But, I am learning and my shy nature helps me a bit to not step into too many silly situations.... ! I suppose, it´s not much different for our skaters,I mean they don´t run into things, but they can´t hide just imagine how hard it is, to have all these people around you and they all want something of you. It´s a damn hard job to be a figure skater, they can´t hide in the darkness like I do when I DJ or as with this event, at my box, even though my face is probably in more fs videos than I would like and some skaters even have pictures with me on their instagram OMG.... how can i ever explain this to my kids.... sometimes, I wish I could be invisible ...

that being said, what these skaters do is amazing, every single one of them. All lights are on them, people look at them, they might be weird guys like me, but they just smile it all away and at the same time, perform with so much excellence of execution. It takes a lot to do what they do every day, it´s not only the competition, they practice every day, people come watch, want pictures, might make stupid Yt comments... it´s a hard life to be a skater or any person in the public for that matter and you just have to shut off your thoughts, right Gracie?

Sadly, the medics, had a lot to do today, same can be said about Mark, he needs all his joyful talent now to cheer his partner up a bit, as that poor girl Renata, still has to tweak her engine, but once that is done, they will reboot and come back stronger for sure. Vladi already rebooted his, as they were rocking today. Its so fun with them, they really manage to transport all their joy and happiness into the spectators hearts, its really great. My heart stopped for a second when Anna did land that triple throw Lutz earlier, but she is such a strong girl on blades, amazing how she always hangs on and the third spot, is well deserved. Alisa and Nikita who came second, were wonderful as well, such speed and that NT was wonderful!

Wonderful was also what happened at Ice Dance. The parsons let time fly, it felt like a minute of skating, impressive how they pull this off all the time, I was still completely blown away by the competition and did not manage more than a smile for the skaters when I went to the judges panel and came across the top three but really it´s so crazy to think about it, they are all half my age but I was the schoolboy today, who did not manage to say how amazing they did, at least I could tell it Rachel, so yes, sometimes I can speak to women, but only sometimes! :scratch2: and now I need to rest for two weeks again, before I can do it again!

Someone who is the total opposite of me and not in the slightest a shy person, is that wonderful girl Arina Ushakova. You can stand 10 meters away from her and she will give you a smile for your camera with a victory sign, she is so aware of what´s happening and she always has a positive vibe going on, or a naughty smile on her lips. I am honest with you, I wish I had that ability, but I am a quiet person with often too many thoughts, unless I write or play music... But seriously, what she pulls of with Maxim on ice, is really amazing and I can´t wait to write about their program and many others from ice dance, as it was a wonderful treat for my heart once more.

Last we saw the men and my favorite is still that guy from Korea DPR, what a fire and power he had, amazing! It is so nice to see, that FS is able to bring the whole world together, nobody is excluded, or at least this is what we try and we should all enjoy each moment of it, as who knows, how long we can still experience all of this. What I also experienced was a Japanese guy, super friendly and I made a wonderful picture, after the VC and I was thanking them and they were thanking me 10 times, so funny, as I was honored to be able to take a picture, but ya that´s our Japanese right? Always smiling and friendly and his program was very wonderful performed, with heart and so much emotions, really great!

For now, I will call it a day, I have to try and sleep ( I am still very emotional, as it was one of those days) and maybe tomorrow, I can for once not be shy? :laugh: Sorry for the short and not very informative recap of today, but 6.00 is when I have to get my boots on to see the ladies, yes, that is me, but worst was at Bern, 5.00 once.

Good Night and sorry!

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Starting now on my write up about the event, I hope to have it finished at the end of the week, but my schedule is very tight. ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
Was a busy day, but I finished the ice dance chapter and now only need to add the What I like about You, so that hopefully tomorrow the whole thing can be posted. :) Thank you for your patience.