David Wilson on Patrick Chan | Golden Skate

David Wilson on Patrick Chan

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thank you for the interview! Looks like Patrick will wrap up SOI and head to Detroit for his ice show before joining David for choreography.

As for programs - technically high level that also show his great edges. Something fun, as that suits his style, but with room to breathe. :)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would like to see Patrick doing lyrical programs. Music with swooping phrasing gives him an opportunity to show off his gorgeous edges so very well.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I would like to see Patrick doing lyrical programs. Music with swooping phrasing give him an opportunity to show off his gorgeous edges so very well.

like the middle part of his chopin this year. beautiful lyrical skating.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I wonder which artist Patrick would like to skate to. I guess "Living Inside Myself" by fellow Canadian Gino Vannelli might be a bit much but, I think Patrick and his brilliant choreographer David Wilson, could work wonders with that song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-ecGlJw6w

How about..."When I think about those nights in Montreal..." "I Just Wanna Stop!"

Thanks for the memories Mr. Rice, one of the best high school waltz's ever.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
How about..."When I think about those nights in Montreal..." "I Just Wanna Stop!"

Thanks for the memories Mr. Rice, one of the best high school waltz's ever.

One of the best Pop Baritone Voices in history. In fact, I was the "I Just Wanna Stop" singer in our "Love Songs Through The Years" Medley in my College Musical. I remember our choreographer screaming at the dancers....."I Just Want To Stop....LOOK!!" Because, no matter how they were positioned when that beat came, they had to LOOK, or they were busted... It still cracks me up when I think about it. :laugh2:

I Just Wanna Stop By the dreamy Gino Vanelli: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6-ecGlJw6w

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i'd be surprised they'd take that route... they will probably go classical ;) or jazzy

mrrice

Record Breaker
i'd be surprised they'd take that route... they will probably go classical ;) or jazzy

Maybe Patrick could use the great Nat King Cole's music. He could certainly pull off "Unforgettable" as he's certainly an unforgettable skater in my eyes. He could blend that with "Route 66" and "Smile" and he'd be good to go.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
unforgettable patrick = 4everchan
Maybe Patrick could use the great Nat King Cole's music. He could certainly pull off "Unforgettable" as he's certainly an unforgettable skater in my eyes. He could blend that with "Route 66" and "Smile" and he'd be good to go.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
more than music or programs why isn't he addressing the real issues- how to increase his tech marks including consistency and harder jumps and ensuringhe maxes pints on spins, footwork.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
who says he isn't?
more than music or programs why isn't he addressing the real issues- how to increase his tech marks including consistency and harder jumps and ensuringhe maxes pints on spins, footwork.

PS patrick doesn't do pints but ice wine ;)

PS 2 patrick maxes points ;) if that's what you meant on spins and footwork already... unless he makes a mistake of course.

PS 3 he is working on 4s

Last edited:

vivley

"pcskatingfan.com"
Medalist
As I mentioned in the fan fest: Lately, I've been thinking that Patrick could skate to Avicii's Wake Me Up. It reminds me of Mess Is Mine and has a nice tempo that he could skate to.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Patrick needs to challenge himself with a different style and expand his emotional range. He tends to skate with a similar sense of energy no matter the music choice, to the point that I can already tell how he's going to skate. Both Javier and Yuzuru, apart from the quad-fest, have chosen choreography outside of their typical box. We already know that Patrick skates tremendously well to classical music and figure skating standards.

I want Patrick to skate to a piece that he cares about. There's a moment in his Chopin long where he does very small steps right after a spin that are extremely effective. Within those few seconds, the choreography feels natural, like it comes from within, and not laid on top of him. I want to see this moment stretched out for the entire program if possible.

I think he should explore more modern contemporary pieces, much like P&C's "To Build A Home" free dance. He has the edges and the line to stretch this kind of music out. Something like James Vincent McMorrow's "Wicked Game" (for something romantic) or even "Time" by Hans Zimmer (for something epic).

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Patrick loves piano music and classical music... he took piano as a kid...

He certainly cares about the Chopin, the Elegy program, the 4 seasons as well... just to name 3.... he was really into it when he did tango programs and jazzy programs like take 5... the only program i felt was not well-suited was MTK... and that's perhaps because they didn't pay attention enough to the lyrics of the song... the original version has nothing to do with the Bublé or crooner versions which already depart from the essence of the song... which makes it even more difficult to perform and interpret for a skater...

I don't think Yuzu and Javier have gone into very different styles either.... Yuzu has done lots of standards and Seimei if it's a bit different is right within his powerful style... Javi... give me a break... many people on this forum say he uses the same program year after year....

this being said, I'd be happy as well to see him skate on something different, like the pieces you have suggested... but i'd prefer the original for wicked games

Patrick needs to challenge himself with a different style and expand his emotional range. He tends to skate with a similar sense of energy no matter the music choice, to the point that I can already tell how he's going to skate. Both Javier and Yuzuru, apart from the quad-fest, have chosen choreography outside of their typical box. We already know that Patrick skates tremendously well to classical music and figure skating standards.

I want Patrick to skate to a piece that he cares about. There's a moment in his Chopin long where he does very small steps right after a spin that are extremely effective. Within those few seconds, the choreography feels natural, like it comes from within, and not laid on top of him. I want to see this moment stretched out for the entire program if possible.

I think he should explore more modern contemporary pieces, much like P&C's "To Build A Home" free dance. He has the edges and the line to stretch this kind of music out. Something like James Vincent McMorrow's "Wicked Game" (for something romantic) or even "Time" by Hans Zimmer (for something epic).

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Patrick loves piano music and classical music... he took piano as a kid...

He certainly cares about the Chopin, the Elegy program, the 4 seasons as well... just to name 3.... he was really into it when he did tango programs and jazzy programs like take 5... the only program i felt was not well-suited was MTK... and that's perhaps because they didn't pay attention enough to the lyrics of the song... the original version has nothing to do with the Bublé or crooner versions which already depart from the essence of the song... which makes it even more difficult to perform and interpret for a skater...

I don't think Yuzu and Javier have gone into very different styles either.... Yuzu has done lots of standards and Seimei if it's a bit different is right within his powerful style... Javi... give me a break... many people on this forum say he uses the same program year after year....

this being said, I'd be happy as well to see him skate on something different, like the pieces you have suggested... but i'd prefer the original for wicked games

If Patrick loves Piano music. I think he should listen to "Zero To Sixty In Five" By Pablo Cruise. It starts out slowly but then becomes a Piano and Guitar Rock Song. Have a look at this video that features the song and a group of fantastic ballet dancers.

Zero To Sixty In Five:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP-VN8V7rjg

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If Patrick loves Piano music. I think he should listen to "Zero To Sixty In Five" By Pablo Cruise. It starts out slowly but then become a Piano and Guitar Rock Song. Have a look at this vidoe that features the song and a group of fantastic ballet dancers.

Zero To Sixty In Five:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP-VN8V7rjg

4everchan is a purist musically, FYI. :)

eta. I see 4everchan had spoken for himself just before my post. Anyway, I can't picture Patrick skating to this piece myself.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
i meant classical piano music ;)

That's exactly what the other choreographers said about the dancers in that video. There was an actual piece to that music and it really stirred things up that year. I think I saw this piece in 1981. I guess "A Fifth Of Beethoven" By Walter Murphy is out.....;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think Patrick has such classical lines, that classical music suits him best ;) and since I am, like Violet Bliss said, a purist, when it comes to music, perhaps that's why I like Patrick so much, and for sure, will prefer him skating to classical music :)