Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs | Golden Skate

Analyzing Kerrigan and Baiul's Oly programs

andromache

Record Breaker
So, in the interest of keeping the The Edge interesting during the off-season, I am making the attempt to introduce a "Wuzrobbed" series, in which we can discuss our favorite "wuzrobbed"s of the old-school of skating. Hopefully, results pre-IJS are far enough in the past that we can discuss them with analysis and passion without anything getting nasty. I'd like to think of this as an attempt to foster thoughtful debate about what matters to us as individual skating fans, within the limits of a specific context. And also an attempt to keep us entertained!

I've started with Nancy Kerrigan versus Oksana Baiul in 1994 because it's a competition that gets talked about A LOT, but not necessarily in terms of whether or not Oksana was a deserving whether. Given the technical/artistic content and the very close scores (Oksana won by one artistic mark, I believe?), I think it's worth analyzing and there are likely disparate opinions. (If recommended, in future editions of "Wuzrobbed," I could give rundowns of the technical content performed in each program, if that is useful; however, I worry that might give pre-conceived notions of each program prior to viewing it.)

SPs (Nancy 1, Oksana 2)
Nancy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPI3RUcA9Rc
Oksana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GDdHQmcK7g

LPs (Oksana 1, Nancy 2)
Oksana: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_fvrG3f0fI
Nancy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7RvWbnaDZk

Fun idea :)

OP, you may be interested in using these HD quality uploads (courtesy of the Japanese broadcasters):

Kerrigan Short Free
Baiul Short Free

So there are the programs. I'll post my own analysis/opinions in a few days! I hope people are into this for the off-season. I have some ideas for future "Wuzrobbed"s, but feel free to suggest some also.

So, wuz Nancy robbed? Or was Oksana the clear winner of the OGM in Lillehammer?

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh.......This subject. :disapp: Nancy was NOT robbed. Nancy was a lovely gal. However, she couldn't have chosen worse music or choreography. Her costumes were beautiful, She was beautiful. Unfortunately, I could have done a better job with her choreography in my sleep. Nancy was great in 1994 but, she was placed exactly where she belonged. In second.

begin

Medalist
Fun idea :)

OP, you may be interested in using these HD quality uploads (courtesy of the Japanese broadcasters):

Kerrigan Short Free
Baiul Short Free

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
Nancy definately robbed. I loved her choreography. It was angular. It was based on modern dance not ballet. Kerrigan's program showed how skating could encompass a modern view of women - strong, in control, grace without hyper-femininity. I think her FS is one of the top Oly skates of all time.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know I am against the majority but I don't think Nancy in her multi thousand dollar Vera Wang's was robbed. And this topic has been debated to death here - I know don't respond then. I know the idea is to encourage discussion but this topic has been done to death and tends to bring out the worst sometimes.

It is hard to convince Baiul supporters than Kerrigan deserved and vice versa. I will say this if you had Nancy ahead technically in the freeskate but Oksana ahead artistically it is still possible and plausible that Baiul would have won - much like the 2002 scandal with B and S versus S and P. Both were or are wonderful skaters and were part of probably the pinnacle of skating drama and some pretty good skating.

Robbed by definition suggests that Kerrigan owned the gold and that was not all that clear. So, technically Kerrigan was not robbed. Maybe some or many felt she should win whether it be because they in their minds think she was better artistically and technically - she certainly was more mature than Baiul but then again Baiul had a certain flare and musicality - compare her to Lipinski and Baiul was far more "artistic" - i guess she may have been a few months older or even half a year than Tara when she won OGM but still there is something undeniable about Baiul's artistry and musicality.

I am glad both had their moment in the spotlight and Nancy went on and had a wonderful prolife and life - she married well in many ways and had her adoring fans. Baiul coming from the Ukraine did not have the market compared to Kerrigan but she made her mark. I personally liked both of them and their skates and think we all won. But while I am probably contrary to a lot I think there are very valid reasons in respect to skating skills, musicality and all to put Baiul ahead.

taltaltel

On the Ice
I personally would have put Kerrigan slightly ahead on technical content - landing a 3-3 was no small feat compared to a program that had one horribly squeezed out 2A-2T combo at the very end when she felt like it. Have to say though, in my opinion both Kerrigan and Baiul's choreography left a lot to be desired. Both hot messes the way I see it. Both seemed content to choose random bits of music that just didn't go too well together, string it together and call it a program. Chen Lu and Yuka Sato had more coherent and interesting programs that night, but had some problems on the jumps. Heck, I might put either or both of them above the two that we are discussing, just for the long program alone.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Oh.......This subject. :disapp: Nancy was NOT robbed. Nancy was a lovely gal. However, she couldn't have chosen worse music or choreography. Her costumes were beautiful, She was beautiful. Unfortunately, I could have done a better job with her choreography in my sleep. Nancy was great in 1994 but, she was placed exactly where she belonged. In second.

I never understood why she had that program, uggh. I know Oksana went downhill, but having seen both Oksana and Nancy live in competition, a thing that glaringly stood out was Oksana's speed and energy compared to Kerrigan's plodding slow skating. While Nancy in her 15K dollar Vera Wangs and pretty face was perfect for tv, she really had no impact live in the arena. I understand Oksana winning.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I never understood why she had that program, uggh. I know Oksana went downhill, but having seen both Oksana and Nancy live in competition, a thing that glaringly stood out was Oksana's speed and energy compared to Kerrigan's plodding slow skating. While Nancy in her 15K dollar Vera Wangs and pretty face was perfect for tv, she really had no impact live in the arena. I understand Oksana winning.

It was 1994 I think Kerrigan's Vera Wang was ONLY $13,000 but we get the idea lol.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
This is really a close call. I personally put Nancy higher in both programs, because she was absolutely clean in both programs. Actually, I think if Oksana had changed her LP music with Swan Lake, she probably would still win with a bigger lead in the artistic mark and cause less argument.

Btw, her costume in "the feeling begins" is on point and I love it.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Nancy was a real tomboy. Her music selections only prove that, she never did go all in like Tonya did, but then she was supposed to be the lady.
I was still rather young in 1994 and I remember while watching the event live on tv that Oksana was the clear winner to me. I even liked her costumes and silly headgear, but it was the early 90's, so that's my defence. ;) Oksana was fresh and different and definitely one of the most talented skaters I've ever seen. But the FS was rather bland compared to the SP, that's where Oksana really stood out in my opinion, even though she didn' win it.
Looking at the event now with the additional knowledge about figure skating that I've gained over the years I'd probably give Nancy the edge. The 3T-3T was very very good and Oksana's only combination was meh.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Not a fan of either, really, but I had Nancy slightly a head. The judges were very kind to Oksana in technical program... And have you seen her lately?? She makes me laugh because she's so goofy-minded...

Tutto

Record Breaker
Not being a fan of either skater I wish Nancy'd won purely because of all that happened in Oksana's life in the aftermath. Oksana was not ready to be Olympic Champion it literally ruined her life. A silver medal would have been a major success for her and the motivation to develop further.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It amazes me that anyone thinks Nancy wasn't robbed. Whether you like her choreography--or her-- or not, a program with 3-3 and the only "mistake" being a triple popped into a double (in 1994; Shizuka Arakawa won the Olympics in 2006 with a popped triple) should have won over Oksana's extremely weak technical content and messy execution. Even if Oksana deserved 5.9 for presentation, she deserved something like 5.4 at most (there is a case for a lower score) for tech. Nancy deserved 5.8/5.8 and the gold medal.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It amazes me that anyone thinks Nancy wasn't robbed. Whether you like her choreography--or her-- or not, a program with 3-3 and the only "mistake" being a triple popped into a double (in 1994; Shizuka Arakawa won the Olympics in 2006 with a popped triple) should have won over Oksana's extremely weak technical content and messy execution. Even if Oksana deserved 5.9 for presentation, she deserved something like 5.4 at most (there is a case for a lower score) for tech. Nancy deserved 5.8/5.8 and the gold medal.

On what basis would you have Nancy 0.4 ahead of Oksana on tech? Oksana had bigger jumps, better spins, stronger footwork, more speed.

tulosai

Record Breaker
By the standards of the day, I don't think Nancy wuzrobbed. I do think Nancy had stronger jumps than Oksana, but that wasn't enough back then under the scoring system as it existed (nor would it necessarily be enough now, though I do think current rules would have favored Nancy, at least in the LP if not overall, for the very little that's worth).

Honestly, I did not enjoy either long program and in fact could barely bring myself to rewatch them now for the purposes of this discussion. I did not like Nancy's shot much either, but I did like Oksana's short a great deal. With the possible exception of Oksana's short, I can't watch any of these and think gosh, what a worthy Olympic gold program.

Focusing on the LP, since that's what determined gold in this situation back in the day, it was a mixed bag IMO. I'd break it down like this:

Jumps: Nancy's were stronger
Spins: Oksana's were stronger
Footwork: Oksana's was stronger
Spirals: Both nice, neither IMO truly spectacular
Choreography: Both a hot mess in different ways as someone else said above.
Performance ability: Both strong in different ways, probably with a slight edge to Oksana who did draw in the crowd (and probably also the judges) more and who seemed to project more and connect a bit better IMO
Skating skills, transitions, etc: Many say Oksana was a faster skater, I never saw Nancy live so I can't comment on this from personal experience, though I did see Oksana live and she was fast. Neither had anything special going on in terms of transitions.

stella luna

Final Flight
I know I am against the majority but I don't think Nancy in her multi thousand dollar Vera Wang's was robbed. many ways and had her adoring fans.

Why all the controversy over Vera Wang costume? The way people talk, they act like she should have lost points for it. Wang used to be a figure skater, and a lot of successful skaters wear expensive costumes and don't get criticized like Nancy did. And her costumes were elegant. Seems kind of petty.

stella luna

Final Flight
This is really a close call. I personally put Nancy higher in both programs, because she was absolutely clean in both programs. Actually, I think if Oksana had changed her LP music with Swan Lake, she probably would still win with a bigger lead in the artistic mark and cause less argument.

Btw, her costume in "the feeling begins" is on point and I love it.

Jan Hoffman, the East German judge who had the deciding vote, later saw a video of Oksana's performances and said he had missed the two-footed jumps and had he seen them he would have voted for Nancy.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why all the controversy over Vera Wang costume? The way people talk, they act like she should have lost points for it. Wang used to be a figure skater, and a lot of successful skaters wear expensive costumes and don't get criticized like Nancy did. And her costumes were elegant. Seems kind of petty.

The LP costume was the only thing I liked about Nancy in the 1994 Olympics. I agree with others that both skaters' LP were not that great, but I do think Oksana's SP was one of the best choreographed SPs ever.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Oksana's SP was too high. 5.1 for tech and 5.7 for presentation is about right. She double footed the only triple in the Technical program. Even Chen Lu should place higher than Oksana in the SP. Chen's mistake was stepping out on the double toe combo.

Tanja Szewczenko also should place higher. 5.5 for tech 5.4 for presentation.

If Oksana is put where she should be after the SP, she shouldn't even be in the running for the gold.

stella luna

Final Flight
The LP costume was the only thing I liked about Nancy in the 1994 Olympics. I agree with others that both skaters' LP were not that great, but I do think Oksana's SP was one of the best choreographed SPs ever.

I did like the short despite the two-footed landing. I will have to compare it to Ashley's Black Swan program.