Hotels and Trip Details | Golden Skate

Hotels and Trip Details

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Consulting my school holidays for next year, I believe I'm going to be able to go to this! If I do, I'm going to combine it with a holiday.

Anyway, I wanted to ask those in the know if it would be best to book a hotel in Missisauga for the days of the comp and then one in Toronto for some sightseeing? If so, any recommendations for either? I don't want too expensive, just clean, safe and comfortable.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Consulting my school holidays for next year, I believe I'm going to be able to go to this! If I do, I'm going to combine it with a holiday.

Anyway, I wanted to ask those in the know if it would be best to book a hotel in Missisauga for the days of the comp and then one in Toronto for some sightseeing? If so, any recommendations for either? I don't want too expensive, just clean, safe and comfortable.

I'm also going to Skate Canada. Although I live in NY, I travel to Toronto every year for the film festival (TIFF) so I know the area pretty well.

WRT to Mississauga, I would recommend booking there just for Skate Canada and a separate hotel for Toronto. I'm doing an AirBnB for SC but I think the Hilton Garden Inn is closest to the Hershey Centre and the "official" hotel for the event.

For TIFF, I've stayed at the Chelsea (formerly the Delta Chelsea and the Eaton Chelsea) - very large hotel with nice rooms and reasonable prices. It's very close to the subway and Yonge Street, which is the main commercial street in Toronto. If you want a place with a kitchenette, I like the Residence Inn Entertainment District, but it's gotten more expensive the last few years.

IMO, the most economical option is to do AirBnB for Toronto. There are tons of condos downtown and you'll get more space for less money than a hotel. Toronto has many public transportation options (subway and streetcars) but it's always best to stay in the downtown core if you don't have a car.

Any other questions, please let me know.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Thanks so much, apgold. My plans are very tentative at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have more questions!

I've never used AirBnB. Any tips for doing so?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks so much, apgold. My plans are very tentative at the moment, but I'm sure I'll have more questions!

I've never used AirBnB. Any tips for doing so?

For AirBnB, try to find a host that has a good number of positive reviews and also will instantly accept reservations (although sometimes that’s not possible). Look carefully at the pictures (the more the better) to make sure the space has what you’re looking for.

Also look at the dates of the reviews, if you see many reviews within a short timespan, that means that the place is in higher demand and probably a good place to stay. Also be aware that if you do book, after your stay, the host will rate you as a guest (to let other hosts know if you’ll trash the place or leave it in good condition!).

Some hosts don’t like to take reservations more than a couple of months in advance, but I also find that booking as soon as your plans are confirmed is best. Also look at their cancellation policy and house rules – some hosts are stricter than others.

I’ve only had good experiences with AirBnB and as I mentioned before, you’re more likely to get a nice space for less money since there is so much condo inventory in downtown Toronto. Still, if a hotel will make you more feel more comfortable, I think the Chelsea is a safe bet.

b-man

Final Flight
Is there an official detailed schedule out yet for SC? I'm getting ready to book a hotel. I assume official practice will be on the 27th?

stryke

On the Ice
Can anyone who has previously been to the Hershey Center say if there is wifi available? I researched online that the city provides free wifi at the arena but I just want to verify that.

dasani

On the Ice
Can anyone who has previously been to the Hershey Center say if there is wifi available? I researched online that the city provides free wifi at the arena but I just want to verify that.

Yes, they have Free WiFi available.

I visited the site yesterday and have put together some tips regarding the Hershey Centre. Here is a quick list of topics covered (so far):
A) Free WiFi
B) Food Options - on site / delivery
C) Transportation - parking / bus schedule / local taxi companies
D) Hershey Sportzone Surroundings - indoor facilities & nearby trail
E) Shopping in Mississauga

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker

I visited the site yesterday and have put together some tips regarding the Hershey Centre. Here is a quick list of topics covered (so far):
A) Free WiFi

Excellent legwork! I'll be there and appreciate the thorough research!

"...the Hershey Centre is literally in the middle of nowhere..." SkAm & SC both, this year. :( Will need to bring my Xanax to survive the two weekends straight of soul-crushing suburbia.

stryke

On the Ice

A) Free WiFi

Thank you sooo much for this! I did have two questions which I wrote in the comments section of your site. What will the weather be like towards the end of October? Is Uber and Lyft allowed to operate in the city?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

A) Free WiFi

Thank you dasani for your research and details. Since I have dietary restrictions, I am quite concerned about the food situation there - I am hoping to email the Hershey Centre to see if I can bring in outside food (say from the Whole Foods near the Square One Mall). I won't have a car (although a friend attending does) and the idea of hiking it to Subway doesn't sound appealing either.

I don't understand why you need a local number for the food delivery service? Most people have mobile numbers anyway with various area codes.

ETA: I chatted online with the Skip the Dishes website. They said

As long as you have a valid number and email address at which we can reach you, you should be able to place your order
So that's a relief, no need to get a local number.

ETA2: I sent an email to the guest services contact ([email protected]) - he is on vacation until Aug 2nd but if anyone else is concerned about food best to check beforehand about the policy when he returns.

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight

A) Free WiFi

This is amazing. Thank you so much.

DonnaR

On the Ice
I've been to the Hershey Centre for both Skate Canada and Canadians so hopefully this information will be helpful. Rinks generally do not allow outside food but you can sneak it in. I usually bring a blanket so you can wrap things in your blanket or hide them in a jacket pocket. There is usually a Subway cart at the arena - they don't offer any of their hot food options but at least you can get a decent sandwich. There is a community rink attached to the Hershey Centre (can be accessed from the inside - just need to have your ticket scanned when you enter and exit) which has a Tim Hortons. Their tea and coffee is cheaper than the options in the Hershey Centre but you aren't allowed to bring it back to the Hershey Centre (although if you put your drink in your hand and throw your jacket over it, I find that works!)

shyne

Final Flight
Hershey Center Policies
Also a general question regarding to Skate Canada. In the past, are Fri and Sat morning practices open to those with all event ticket?
I'm trying to plan my trip. If there's no skating to see in the morning, I may get a hotel closer to Toronto downtown to do some sightseeing. :laugh: Thanks!

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I heard back from the Hershey Centre about bringing in outside food for those with dietary issues. They said it should be okay as long as it's not in a cooler bag/case since they don't want to advertise to other patrons that folks are bringing it in. So, I guess the message is be discreet about it.

From the schedule they posted, it looks like most of the competitive events are from 3-11PM both days (except practices) - doesn't look like there is a lot of break time to go somewhere to eat or get outside food delivered anyway, so glad they are allowing snacks if we are there for almost 8 hours.

Not sure about the morning practices, they are not listed on the schedule so my guess is they are closed. I'm hoping to see at least Men's and Ice Dance on Thursday in the late afternoon since my flight gets in around 2PM.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Seems like a great place to ask my questions but was wondering if Skate Canada international kind of runs like a Nationals? Do you have a good chance of getting autographs on the Thursday practices?? Or do they have set autograph times? What's the best way for someone downtown Toronto to commute to Hershey Centre??

shyne

Final Flight
Seems like a great place to ask my questions but was wondering if Skate Canada international kind of runs like a Nationals? Do you have a good chance of getting autographs on the Thursday practices?? Or do they have set autograph times? What's the best way for someone downtown Toronto to commute to Hershey Centre??

I would try not to disturb the skaters and let them concentrate on their skating. But I often see people sitting next to the exit and ask for autographs as the skaters leave the ice after the completion of practice.