Figure skating. Who was the best in 2015-16 | Golden Skate

Figure skating. Who was the best in 2015-16

Sabrina

Record Breaker
in ladies, Medvvedeva wins hands down. Other wonderful skaters: Pogorilaya, Myahara, Wagner
Men: 1. Javi, 2. Yuzuru, 3 Shoma Uno, 4. Boyang Jin, 5 Mihail Koliada
Pairs: Duhamel/Redford, Sui/Han (hope I didn't mess up their names)
Dance: Papadakis/Cizeron, Weaver/Poje, Capelini/Lanotte

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Ladies: a pretty mediocre season on the whole

Men: 1. Hanyu, hands down NHK FS, GPF SP/FS 2. Patrick 4CC FS 3. Javi Worlds FS

Pairs: 1. StolKlim GPF FS 2. Sui/Han Worlds SP and V/T Europeans

Dance: PapCiz and no one else matters

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved the video. I do wish it included the US men @ Worlds as well! Lots of great moments in it, though - thanks!

Men - Javi!
Pairs - Duhamel & Radford @ Worlds
Ladies - Ashley @ Worlds
Dance - The Shibs

HanDomi

Record Breaker
in men Hanyu. Javier did clean skate in right moment, but Hanyu did 5 clean skates this season so wins for me season overall

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Men: Gold- Hanyu- for back to back back to back amazing performances and records, 2. Chan at 4CC 3. Fernandez delivering LP when it matters.

Ladies: Gold -Medvedeva , Silver -Pogo for delivering when it matters, Bronze- Miyahara for consistency and so many clean skates

Ice Dance: Gold -Shibs, Silver- P/C, Bronze-C/L

Pairs : Gold- Duhamel and Radford , Silver: Sui/Han , Bronze- maybe Kavaguchi/Smirnov for those quads at this age ..

ioanna

Record Breaker
Considering the achievements of the entire season...

Men

Gold: Yuzuru Hanyu; for the back-to-back WR programs at NHK Trophy and Grand Prix Final and for Seimei which I consider his best program to date.
Silver: Javier Fernandez; although I'm not a fan of his, he manages to be consistent and deliver when it matters.
Bronze: a tie between Boyang Jin and Shoma Uno. They've both had a breakthrough season.

Ladies

Gold: Evgenia Medvedeva; no arguments needed.
Silver: Satoko Miyahara; clean skate after clean skate after clean skate.
Bronze: Ashley Wagner for pushing her boundaries, achieving new personal bests and for the World silver medal

Pairs

Gold: Duhamel/Radford for overcoming troubles and skating a great free program at Worlds.
Silver: Sui/Han for the 4CC gold and a great short program at Worlds.
Bronze: Stolbova/Klimov for the GPF gold

Ice Dance

Gold: Shibutani/Shibutani for making their way back to the top, for the gold at Nationals and silver at Worlds
Silver: Papadakis/Cizeron for having a spectacular comeback after Gabriella's concussion, for defending their World title
Bronze: Weaver/Poje for winning gold at every competition they've entered in the first part of the season, culminating with gold at the GPF; it's a pity what happened in the second half of the season but their free dance at the TCC made up for it.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
In my opinion the best skaters in 2015/2016 were those who won the major competition of the season:

Fernandez
Medvedeva
Duhamel / Radford
Papadakis/Cizeron

Rissa

Record Breaker
Men: Hanyu
Ladies: Medvedeva
Dance: Shibs
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford

Overall, though, I must give it to Medvedeva, although I'm no great fan of hers. She had a terrific season from start to finish. Hanyu's close, for breaking the dam and parctically pushing men's figure skating into a new era.

Last edited:

tzazu

Medalist
Two winners in three categories:
Men: Fernandez, Hanyu
Dance:papadakis/Cizeron, Shibs
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford, Sui/Han

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
here's the answer from the isu :)

europeans : javier, medvedeva, v/t, p/c
4cc : chan, satoko, sui/han, shibs
worlds : javier, medvedeva, d/r, p/c

;)

alia jackson

Record Breaker
;) GPF : Hanyu, Medvedeva, S/K, W/P

Men: Hanyu (6 WRs, 1st man to break 200 in FP and 300 in total score, two back-to-back competitions with perfect SP&FP)
Dance: Shibs
Pairs: Duhamel/Radford
Best men's competition: GPF 2015 Barcelona (4 men with score over 100 TES)

Last edited:
Or you could answer this question the way the ISU does, with the official 2015/2016 season's ranking.

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pa...tatistics-and-world-standings/world-standings

This would give you,

Gold: Hanyu, Medvedeva, Stobolva & Klomov, Chock & Bates.

Silver: Fernandez, Miyahara, Duhamel & Radford and Shibutani & Shibutani

Bronze: Uno, Wagner, Scimeca & Knierim. Weaver & Poje

Pewter: Jin, Pogorilaya, Tarasova & Morozov, Capellini & Lanotte

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there a link somewhere that explains for us simple folk how the world rankings are calculated? ;)

I'm confused about a few of the orders. Is it based on the highest scores? Podium finishes? Ranking in previous years? Where do the points come from? :confused:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
ranking points from isu competitions... including useless ones ;) why some people are there despite not doing so well at worlds... of for instance why Roberta R from Italy manages to be something like 9th in the world rankings... despite finishing 16th at WC

tnat's why I used ISU championships only.... but of course, this question can be answered many ways.... including... best costume of 15-16... thread is coming up right now. ;)
Is there a link somewhere that explains for us simple folk how the world rankings are calculated? ;)

I'm confused about a few of the orders. Is it based on the highest scores? Podium finishes? Ranking in previous years? Where do the points come from? :confused:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Ahhh, that explains why Alexa and Chris are in third place.... and why Sui and Han are lower ranked despite not finishing off the podium this year...

Pamigena

Record Breaker

I'm sure there's a more complicated answer, but here's my simple explanation (I hope I got that right, otherwise I'm sure someone will correct me with confusing details :biggrin: )
This ISU communication explains it in detail. On the last page there's a list with the distribution of points, so that's where those points come from. You enter a certain competition, and depending on which place you finish, you get very special ISU points. Better placements mean more gold star points for you. Doing more competitions equals more chances to score world standing points. But not all competitions can get you world standing points, and not all the points you score during the season get counted to the total amount of points (You can read it in detail under 2.3 of that PDF thingy). Points get downgraded after a certain time, that's why the 2014/15 season points only count for 70% now.
Or something like that ;)