Jason Brown making progress on quads | Golden Skate

Jason Brown making progress on quads

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown talks programs, costumes, and recovering in this latest article. Enjoy!

“For sure the quad toe and potentially quad (Salchow),” Ade said. “I think having a few months under the belt training the program will be awesome for him because he’ll be able to integrate those jumps easier.”

Having both programs for next season—typically he would still be working on new programs during this time of year—will also help, Brown said.

“That’s going to be huge for me and huge with the development of the quad because I can really train for the jump,” he said.

First stop is Broadmoor Open in June! What are you looking forward to seeing the most of Brown this upcoming season?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason Brown talks programs, costumes, and recovering in this latest article. Enjoy!

First stop is Broadmoor Open in June! What are you looking forward to seeing the most of Brown this upcoming season?

Thx to GS and Mrs. P for the article :).
Glad to have the confirmation re the Broadmoor Open and Glacier Falls. Next season sounds very promising for Jason :yay:.

As a fan of Kori's, I must say that the sour-grapes tone of her quote/speculation about Worlds was disappointing to me :disapp:.
[I assume she was speaking about what would have happened if Jason's petition had been approved (and not about what would have happened if he never had been injured in the first place).]
... “When I look at the scores and I know the way Jason could compete, I feel like he could’ve held on to that fourth place spot,” she said. “I’m a little bummed, but I’m not here to buck the system.” ...
She claimed to not be "here to buck the system," but she had no qualms about stirring the pot by second-guessing USFS re its denial of Jason's petition and by making a presumption about how he would have placed.
And I dislike very much that she was (IMO) making an unspoken comparison to the U.S men who did compete at Worlds, and rubbing it in that they didn't keep three slots. Way to be supportive of the team, Kori :dev2:.

Makes me have even greater respect :bow: for Jason's own refusal to speculate, per his comments to IN at the time of TCC.
... "To be honest, I was so excited for the team," he said. "I wasn't at all upset, or mad. It was just like, OK, this is the next path that I'm going on.
.... Once he knew he wouldn't be competing, Brown and his coaching team laid out a plan for rest and physical therapy. He refuses to speculate on how he might have done at worlds, had he been selected.
"I can never say what the training would have been like, because we didn't go that route," he said. "We went on a very different return-to-play plan, and we took it a lot more cautiously than we would have. I can't sit here and go, 'Yeah, I would be ready!' I'm not that type of person to put myself in shoes that I wasn't in. But definitely, from the back doctors looking at me and my physical therapist, [competing at worlds] would have been fine with them." ...
And I always appreciate Jason's sincerity as a team player :luv17: -- clear from the GS article as well.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes!!!

Brown said he plans to push for something similar for next season.

“My vision is to have the same black look,” he said. “Very simple, very plain.”

The simple black costume stays for next year! Yay!

Thanks for the great article, Paula and Mrs. P!

The clip of Jason doing a triple axel loop triple flip combo is way cool, too. I hope he includes it in his free next year. I love how he keeps the flow through the whole sequence!

As a fan of Kori's, I must say that the sour-grapes tone of her quote/speculation about Worlds was disappointing to me…

Coaches may feel like it is their job to advocate for their client, even if the coach comes off a little unpleasant in the process. Like a lawyer whose job it is to say on her client's behalf what the client might say for himself if he had the benefit of legal training -- and if he had a reputation for being a nice guy and a good sport to protect.

Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line a judge will throw Jason a +2 instead of a +1 because he/she feels like Jason got a bum deal the year before.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
“I think he has so much more body awareness based on the physical therapy he’s done,” she said. “He’s leaner, he’s stronger, his power-to-weight ratio is better.”

-----------------

The move (costume change) was partially practical: The former costume no longer fit when Brown’s body physically changed during physical therapy.

Leaner, stronger, and better power-to-weight ratio is great but how else has his body changed such that his old costume no longer fits him? Getting leaner does not normally cause a fit problem when someone is not overweight to begin with, the usual culprit being an increase in height or girth, or a significant change in body proportion. Has he become so buff from the physical therapy? If so, has it affected his flexibility? Will there be a trade off between power and flexibility?

noskates

Record Breaker
Love the idea of the simple black costume. I don't think Jason is a "sparkly sequin" kind of guy and always felt he looked uncomfortable in spangles. For me, oftentimes especially in the men's competitions, the OTT costumes are distracting. I would LOVE to see Hanyu in all-black plain.

Kori's comments about Worlds didn't hit me the same way. I think she was just talking and not throwing shade at the USFS. Naturally she has to have Jason's back and naturally she would want the 2015 National Champion to go to Worlds. I was disappointed not to see Jason at Worlds but the 3 men who went had earned their way there. It wasn't a Todd Eldredge type situation.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thanks Mrs P and Golden Skate for a great article!

I'm really happy to hear that Jason is already back at it with the quads, even if in a limited way, and that we'll see him soon at Broadmoor! I also agree with Kori that that it should be easier to integrate the quad into two programs he's already comfortable with. I was actually surprised that he didn't keep T&I and Juke last year for that reason, but since a lot of people didn't love those programs I can see why they went with new ones.

As to Kori's comments regarding whether Jason would have helped retained 3 spots at TCC, I don't think she was insulting the great performances by Adam, Max and Grant. She's a smart woman, and I'm sure she knows that realistically speaking there were too many variables to predict how high Jason would have placed. In fact, I tend to agree with Mathman that she was simply advocating on behalf of Jason for the future. Remember Frank C in the Hanyu v D10 practice ice incident? More to the point, remember Raf's snarky comment last year to Phil Hersh that Jason essentially won Nats with only a single 3A (reported in Phil's column nationwide shortly after Jason won)? Honestly it seems like once skaters reach a certain level, slinging that kind of shade is par for the course among their coaches.

Shallow as it may seem, the thing I'm most excited about here is that Jason admitted not liking his last FS costume. Yeah it's kind of a trivial thing, but the fact that he was able to (mildly) criticize his costume suggests that he's growing out of his need to "please" and gives me hope that going forward his programs will show us more of the real "Jason" and not just Rohene's vision for him.

ETA @Violet Bliss, if you get leaner that normally suggests you've lost weight or at least fat, meaning your girth is less and your clothes fit differently whether or not you were overweight to begin with. As to how it will affect his performance, only time will tell. His flexibility did not seem significantly worse at TCC, but we'll see going forward.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Coaches may feel like it is their job to advocate for their client, even if the coach comes off a little unpleasant in the process. Like a lawyer whose job it is to say on her client's behalf what the client might say for himself if he had the benefit of legal training -- and if he had a reputation for being a nice guy and a good sport to protect.

Who knows? Maybe somewhere down the line a judge will throw Jason a +2 instead of a +1 because he/she feels like Jason got a bum deal the year before.

I have no problem with Kori or any coach being a strong advocate for a skater. And I agree that it makes sense for the coach's approach to communication to be different from the skater's.
But I do not like the specificity of Kori's presumption in this case, and I do not like her pretense that she was not stirring the pot. She said outright that she believes that Jason could have placed fourth at Worlds, and she should own her words.

Because I generally admire Kori, I would have expected better from her.
Don't want to hijack the thread, so will leave it there.

Best to Jason for a successful season :yay:.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have no problem with Kori or any coach being a strong advocate for a skater. And I agree that it makes sense for the coach's approach to communication to be different from the skater's.
But I do not like the specificity of Kori's presumption in this case, and I do not like her pretense that she was not stirring the pot. She said outright that she believes that Jason could have placed fourth at Worlds, and she should own her words.

Because I generally admire Kori, I would have expected better from her.
Don't want to hijack the thread, so will leave it there.

Best to Jason for a successful season :yay:.

Well to be fair, Jason's score at TCC would have placed him fourth at Worlds. Sure TCC scores were inflated, but I think scores at Worlds were, too. Given how well he performs under pressure and the fact that Worlds were in the US this year, I don't think it's impossible he could have placed fourth. On the other hand, given the nerves he admitted to at TCC, he could also have placed a lot lower.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... She's a smart woman, and I'm sure she knows that realistically speaking there were too many variables to predict how high Jason would have placed. ...

Well to be fair, Jason's score at TCC would have placed him fourth at Worlds. Sure TCC scores were inflated, but I think scores at Worlds were, too. Given how well he performs under pressure and the fact that Worlds were in the US this year, I don't think it's impossible he could have placed fourth. On the other hand, given the nerves he admitted to at TCC, he could also have placed a lot lower.

Also to be fair ;):
The TCC SP took place over three weeks later than the Men's SP at Worlds.
So Jason had the benefit of three extra weeks of training for TCC that he would not have had for Worlds.
It's great that Jason got high scores at TCC, but IMO, those extra three weeks cannot be assumed to be insignificant, given that he was coming back from an injury requiring months off the ice.

So I agree with your earlier post that there were too many variables to predict how high Jason would have placed.

... Shallow as it may seem, the thing I'm most excited about here is that Jason admitted not liking his last FS costume. Yeah it's kind of a trivial thing, but the fact that he was able to (mildly) criticize his costume suggests that he's growing out of his need to "please" and gives me hope that going forward his programs will show us more of the real "Jason" and not just Rohene's vision for him. ...

Will move on and say that I agree :agree: with your very worthy point about Jason's comment about his costume.
Not shallow or trivial that it shows increasing input from Jason into the creative process :).

Last edited:

TMC

Record Breaker
Leaner, stronger, and better power-to-weight ratio is great but how else has his body changed such that his old costume no longer fits him? Getting leaner does not normally cause a fit problem when someone is not overweight to begin with, the usual culprit being an increase in height or girth, or a significant change in body proportion. Has he become so buff from the physical therapy? If so, has it affected his flexibility? Will there be a trade off between power and flexibility?

It's muscle. His shoulders are so much wider now.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Also to be fair ;):
The TCC SP took place over three weeks later than the Men's SP at Worlds.
So Jason had the benefit of three extra weeks of training for TCC that he would not have had for Worlds.
It's great that Jason got high scores at TCC, but IMO, those extra three weeks cannot be assumed to be insignificant, given that he was coming back from an injury requiring months off the ice.

So I agree with your earlier post that there were too many variables to predict how high Jason would have placed.

Will move on and say that I agree :agree: with your very worthy point about Jason's comment about his costume.
Not shallow or trivial that it shows increasing input from Jason into the creative process :).

Yeah I was just playing devil's advocate but honestly I agree more with my first post too. Not only did he have 3 more weeks, but what if he tried the quad and fell? Also, if he skated early he might have scored lower. Not to mention that if we're talking alternate universes, there's no telling where other skaters would have placed - Shoma and Patrick might have skated lights out.

Still can't wait to see him at Broadmoor hopefully in a shirt that fits!

musicfan80

Medalist
Just putting an idea out there - I was happy to see Jason skate so well at TCC (the scores didn't matter to me as much right now - I just cared that he was getting healthy), but was it the extra 3 weeks or really that Jason was competing fresher than everyone else? Or could that really have helped? I have always wondered how burned out these skaters get a competitions after a big event like a World Championships.

I agree with those here who said there's no way you can know for sure how a skater would have performed if they were at an event. That's hard enough to figure out in sports like track & field and swimming.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's muscle. His shoulders are so much wider now.

I figured he could have gained at the shoulders and chest because overall slimming would just make his costume a little loose without causing a fit problem. He could not have slimmed down so much from his original build. Lean and powerful sounds good. :)

gmyers

Record Breaker
If he wants quads he must do quads in every sp and lp in every competition. Every country but US understands this.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Just putting an idea out there - I was happy to see Jason skate so well at TCC (the scores didn't matter to me as much right now - I just cared that he was getting healthy), but was it the extra 3 weeks or really that Jason was competing fresher than everyone else? Or could that really have helped? I have always wondered how burned out these skaters get a competitions after a big event like a World Championships.

I agree with those here who said there's no way you can know for sure how a skater would have performed if they were at an event. That's hard enough to figure out in sports like track & field and swimming.

Not quite sure what you're asking - why Jason competed better than others at TCC? It's true that both Adam and Ashley, for example, were very tired. It's also true Boyang and Shoma were first year seniors not used to long seasons. I'm sure those things impacted their performances. On the other hand, last year at the end of a long season, Jason was pretty much lights out at WTT, and here he was under pressure to prove himself in a way no one else was. I think for the most part, Jason is just a really good competitor, and Kori is good at getting him to peak at the right times.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm glad for Jason, if he wants quads, that they are developing. As for how many are in his program, I really don't care, as long as he skates like he did at TCC. Just a delight to watch. And frankly, I'd rather see that new 3A combo than any number of quads.

Because that's why I follow Jason. If I just cared about landing quads, I'd follow someone else.

Thanks GS and Mrs. P for the article.:hap10:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
If he wants quads he must do quads in every sp and lp in every competition. Every country but US understands this.

Max Aaron and Nathan Chen would like a word with you

and Jason shouldn't force himself to do multiple quads if they're going to injure him and take him out for most of the season, let him go at his own pace.