Which skaters will be at SC 2016? | Golden Skate

Which skaters will be at SC 2016?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Edited: Sorry, I was thinking of a different event in Canada that Yuzu was at. So I feel sure that my original question/post isn't relevant.

But I am wondering when we get the Grand Prix assignments so that we know which skaters will be there. If anyone can help.

Last year at Skate Canada, a ticket did not buy a particular seat, if I'm not mistaken.

Can anyone tell me if this is the case at Missisauga? It's not a long drive from me, and I'd love to see Yuzu; he's usually at SC. As is Ashley.:love: But I need to know that I've bought a particular seat, not the opportunity of standing in line for hours to get a good choice of seats.

Last edited by a moderator:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year, we got the news middle of June, so I imagine it would be around the same time?

ETA: I saw in another thread that this will be decided at the GP selection meeting on June 29th & 30th in NYC. Assuming that means we'll get the announcement around that time. (Also, why do they have these meetings in NYC but never hold a GP event there or in the tri-state area?)

If anyone's interested in attending SC and you haven't bought your all event tickets yet, most of the "lower bowl" seats are gone.

It's far from sold out, but if anyone was planning to get seats near the ice, you're out of luck.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Edited: Sorry, I was thinking of a different event in Canada that Yuzu was at. So I feel sure that my original question/post isn't relevant.

But I am wondering when we get the Grand Prix assignments so that we know which skaters will be there. If anyone can help.

The other event, Autumn Classic International, will have the same situation this year. Tickets sold at the door, so there shouldn't be assigned seating. I wish Skate Canada would organize it a bit better so that fans don't end up camping out again.

You've got it apgold. We'll have to wait a bit longer because of the ISU elections.

Early predictions for skaters?

I'm gonna say: Patrick Chan, Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Alaine Chartrand, Weaver/Poje, and Virtue/Moir. The champs, plus the returnees. Also expecting to see some of the skaters from Cricket Club mainly Fernandez or Hanyu and Tursynbaeva. Hope to see Korean and Japanese skaters too. Ice dance is gonna be fun!

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
My early prediction is Hanyu repeats SC and Miyahara will be there as well.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The other event, Autumn Classic International, will have the same situation this year. Tickets sold at the door, so there shouldn't be assigned seating. I wish Skate Canada would organize it a bit better so that fans don't end up camping out again.

You've got it apgold. We'll have to wait a bit longer because of the ISU elections.

Early predictions for skaters?

I'm gonna say: Patrick Chan, Meagan Duhamel/Eric Radford, Alaine Chartrand, Weaver/Poje, and Virtue/Moir. The champs, plus the returnees. Also expecting to see some of the skaters from Cricket Club mainly Fernandez or Hanyu and Tursynbaeva. Hope to see Korean and Japanese skaters too. Ice dance is gonna be fun!

:thank:, Mango. Yes, Autumn Classic, that's the one I was thinking of. It was near enough to me, but I just couldn't stand the thought of no reserved seats.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last year, we got the news middle of June, so I imagine it would be around the same time?

ETA: I saw in another thread that this will be decided at the GP selection meeting on June 29th & 30th in NYC. Assuming that means we'll get the announcement around that time. (Also, why do they have these meetings in NYC but never hold a GP event there or in the tri-state area?)

If anyone's interested in attending SC and you haven't bought your all event tickets yet, most of the "lower bowl" seats are gone.

It's far from sold out, but if anyone was planning to get seats near the ice, you're out of luck.

:thank: for this information, apgold. I'll use your link to check out what is still available. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
On the Predictions question, does anyone have a prediction/ speculation / thoughts for Ashley Wagner?

She's been at Skate Canada for the past two years, with Gracie at Skate America. I don't know how the thinking (is it USFSA who decides?) might stay the same or change, as Gracie is again National Champ, while Ashley is World Silver Medalist. I am not up on the politics / strategy, etc.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
On the Predictions question, does anyone have a prediction/ speculation / thoughts for Ashley Wagner?

She's been at Skate Canada for the past two years, with Gracie at Skate America. I don't know how the thinking (is it USFSA who decides?) might stay the same or change, as Gracie is again National Champ, while Ashley is World Silver Medalist. I am not up on the politics / strategy, etc.

USFSA is in an interesting situation as you've pointed out. I think they'll pick Ashley over Gracie at this point for Skate America. Her stock went through the roof by winning a World medal. Gracie could easily come to Skate Canada if they want her to. Being the US champion should earn her a travel break. I'm curious to see where Edmunds goes.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

USFSA is in an interesting situation as you've pointed out. I think they'll pick Ashley over Gracie at this point for Skate America. Her stock went through the roof by winning a World medal. Gracie could easily come to Skate Canada if they want her to. Being the US champion should earn her a travel break. I'm curious to see where Edmunds goes.

Actually USFSA is kinda in an odd situation for all the disciplines.

Both Ashley vs Gracie and Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim vs Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea are interesting cases.

In both cases one is the reigning US Champion, but the other had the better showing at worlds. Also Gracie and Alexa & Chris both medaled at SA last year... if that is a factor then we have to look at the other half if skating.

Max Aaron as well as Chock and Bates, were gold medalist at at SA last year. Should they get to defend their title? In both cases someone else beat them at US Nationals by one placement and both of the US Champions were 1-2 places higher then them at worlds.

So who gets to go ShibSibs and Adam Rippon as US Champs and highest at worlds? Or is it better to have Chock and Bates and Max Aaron defend their titles? Will they be consistent? Should they be or should it be case by case? Is USFSA going to just invite them all... I mean that might sell tickets.

I think Adam and Ashley might go with stick with what works Skate Canada. She especially may want to try to defend her title.

I don't envy this decision making process.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker

Both Ashley vs Gracie and Alexa Scimeca & Chris Knierim vs Tarah Kayne & Daniel O'Shea are interesting cases.

In both cases one is the reigning US Champion, but the other had the better showing at worlds. Also Gracie and Alexa & Chris both medaled at SA last year... if that is a factor then we have to look at the other half if skating.

Max Aaron as well as Chock and Bates, were gold medalist at at SA last year. Should they get to defend their title? In both cases someone else beat them at US Nationals by one placement and both of the US Champions were 1-2 places higher then them at worlds.

So who gets to go ShibSibs and Adam Rippon as US Champs and highest at worlds? Or is it better to have Chock and Bates and Max Aaron defend their titles? Will they be consistent? Should they be or should it be case by case? Is USFSA going to just invite them all... I mean that might sell tickets.

I think Adam and Ashley might go with stick with what works Skate Canada. She especially may want to try to defend her title.

For any pairs, I think USFSA is going to pick the one that has the better chance to medal for Skate America. Because Duhamel/Radford are practically a lock for Skate Canada and they won't want to pit their best against the World Champions.

I am going to bet we'll see Chock/Bates at Skate Canada. USFSA is going to want their ice dance champions and the World silver medallists at Skate America. It would also hurt the Shibs really badly if they came to Skate Canada and placed lower than Virtue/Moir or even Weaver/Poje. In that sense, USFSA will shield them. And I don't see Skate Canada or USFSA inviting the French. There's too much ice dance power in North America to welcome them.

For Adam or Max, I think it'll come down to which of the world medallists will be at Skate America. If it's Boyang Jin, then Adam could be at Skate America. If it's Hanyu or Fernandez, I can see USFSA keeping Max and sending Adam to Skate Canada.

I think all the fields have changed so much for American skaters from 2014-2015 to 2015-2016 that it'll be a different kind of game in 2016-2017. But USFSA will do its best to maximize the potential for their top skaters to medal. From my understanding, that means keeping the stronger skaters for a weaker field, and sending out stronger skaters if they're hosting a strong field.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
USFSA is in an interesting situation as you've pointed out. I think they'll pick Ashley over Gracie at this point for Skate America. Her stock went through the roof by winning a World medal.

Yes, it did. :agree: And rightly so!

Polina was very well received at Rostelecom Cup last year. Maybe she'll go there again.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If they don't send Ashley, maybe Mirai will go to SC. She's supposed to get 2 GP assignments this year.

Still with Ashley winning SC last year, wouldn't they want her to get an opportunity to defend her title? I remember she went to TEB a few years in a row, but she didn't go last year and instead bombed at NHK. Ashley should stick with Canada and France, they are good countries for her, lol.

I wish we didn't have to wait a month to find out the assignments!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You're right, that all the disciplines have been shaken up. Interesting remarks about Chock/Bates and Max. I'd love to see Ashley defend her title at Skate Canada, and I'd like to see both Adam and Ashley stick with "what works."

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For any pairs, I think USFSA is going to pick the one that has the better chance to medal for Skate America. Because Duhamel/Radford are practically a lock for Skate Canada and they won't want to pit their best against the World Champions.

I am going to bet we'll see Chock/Bates at Skate Canada. USFSA is going to want their ice dance champions and the World silver medallists at Skate America. It would also hurt the Shibs really badly if they came to Skate Canada and placed lower than Virtue/Moir or even Weaver/Poje. In that sense, USFSA will shield them. And I don't see Skate Canada or USFSA inviting the French. There's too much ice dance power in North America to welcome them.

For Adam or Max, I think it'll come down to which of the world medallists will be at Skate America. If it's Boyang Jin, then Adam could be at Skate America. If it's Hanyu or Fernandez, I can see USFSA keeping Max and sending Adam to Skate Canada.

I think all the fields have changed so much for American skaters from 2014-2015 to 2015-2016 that it'll be a different kind of game in 2016-2017. But USFSA will do its best to maximize the potential for their top skaters to medal. From my understanding, that means keeping the stronger skaters for a weaker field, and sending out stronger skaters if they're hosting a strong field.[/QUOTE]

So, does USFSA wait to see who's accepted invitations to SA before they assign the US skaters? If Evgenia accepts to SA, will they assign Gracie or Ashley, or Mirai and Polina?

I never thought about all this much, but everyone's speculations are very interesting. :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If Evgenia goes to Skate America, Ashley would not ordinarily go there, as only one of the three World medalists is supposed to be assigned to each of the six GP events.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
If Evgenia goes to Skate America, Ashley would not ordinarily go there, as only one of the three World medalists is supposed to be assigned to each of the six GP events.

Good point.

At the same time, I wonder how much Evegenia and her team will wants SA. It is the first GP of the season so gives less time to get ready. Going for a different one a couple weeks later gives a bit more of a cushion for them... and I do think they need to really try very hard and strategically to have a good debut.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, okay. Cool. That makes sense. Last year Russia sent their WC, Liza T., to Skate Canada. I wonder if that pattern might repeat. I guess I'm really impatient to find out. :)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, okay. Cool. That makes sense. Last year Russia sent their WC, Liza T., to Skate Canada. I wonder if that pattern might repeat. I guess I'm really impatient to find out. :)

The ladies national champ gets Rostelecom, which at the time was Radionova. And Russia didn't send Tukt to SC, she choose that event since she usually gets good results there. I would think Rostelecom for Evgenia would be a given, especially if she likes to compete at home, with the 2nd option being either SA, China or Japan.

And its just 27 more days of waiting, it'll be here before you know it :laugh:

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Don't the initial host picks come first? Then the top seeds get to pick and their choices are traditionally honored. Gold medalist gets first choice, then silver picks from GPs not chosen by gold medalists, then bronze gets what's left.

There were no Canadian ice dance teams on the podium at Worlds, so no matter who SC chooses as their host pick, Pap/Ciz can pick SC if they want. If SC names Virtue/Moir as their host pick, I doubt the world champs will want to go there.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Don't the initial host picks come first? Then the top seeds get to pick and their choices are traditionally honored. Gold medalist gets first choice, then silver picks from GPs not chosen by gold medalists, then bronze gets what's left.

There were no Canadian ice dance teams on the podium at Worlds, so no matter who SC chooses as their host pick, Pap/Ciz can pick SC if they want. If SC names Virtue/Moir as their host pick, I doubt the world champs will want to go there.

I've heard from fans that Javier Fernandez has chosen Skate American several times in the past and has been rejected. Can anyone confirm?

And I agree that the French would not do SC even if they had the choice. I don't think Marie-France wants her top teams pitted against each other right off the bat. My money would be on Chock/Bates from the World podium.