European men kicking ball in France | Golden Skate

European men kicking ball in France

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Men’s European football championships starts in two hours.

Will France win? Or Germany, Portugal, Spain, Belgium, Austria? What do I know; not following men’s that much. Excited to watch some matches though :thumbsup:

GO Sweden and Iceland :yes2:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally! I was waiting for a Euro 2016 thread to start, because I wanted to post the following, and felt that it would be better in a dedicated thread than the "How cool is this?" thread.

Recently, it has become very noticeable that the England football team do not have an official song for Euro 2016. And in a story on the BBC website a few days ago, comedian David Baddiel correctly pointed out why - the Euro 96 song was so good that it has not been able to be matched, and nobody is even trying anymore.

"Three Lions" by David Baddiel, Frank Skinner and The Lightning Seeds

Over here in Northern Ireland, we were in a similar position. In 2005, we had an official song that was so good that nobody tried to better it in the years since:

"We're Not Brazil We're Northern Ireland" by Jackie Fullerton, George Jones and Clubsound.

...until now!

This is the official Euro 2016 song for the Northern Ireland football team:

"Making Our Way To Paris" by The London Green And White Army

It is absolutely brilliant!!!

Put it like this, if you like a certain well-known song by the band Smokie, you'll love this! :agree:

The Northern Ireland campaign kicks off on Sunday, and two guys I went to school with are in the team (Aaron Hughes and Stuart Dallas).

So, all the best guys!!! Go and do "Our Wee Country" proud!!!

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Cl_fan, only one of us will be happy on Sunday :devil:

I will root for the other Ireland though! And Italy :hap10:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I don't know who to root for. All I know is that I do NOT want to root for Belgium, because that's so ridiculously predictable and boring as a Dutchie, and I hate being predictable and boring. (It's also why I don't take something like the Eurovision song contest serious; the day Holland and Belgium don't vote for each other is the day I may actually bother watching again.)

So, some other country then. Germany would be the logical option for me (I live a few minutes from Germany), but I don't feel any more connected with Germany than I do with Belgium, so... rooting for them would only be purely be based on the fact that they were so good two years ago. Then again, we weren't that bad, either, with a third place, and look where we are now... :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
Ugh this opening ceremony is so awful...but then everything is after London 2012.

My husband is hating on David Guetta so much :laugh:

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm rooting for France; I take part in a wager organised by a friend every championship (I even won in 2008!) and I picked France to win in a moment of madness. So I'll have to support them. I wish I'd had more faith in England now, though.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Finally! I was waiting for a Euro 2016 thread to start

This is the official Euro 2016 song for the Northern Ireland football team:

"Making Our Way To Paris" by The London Green And White Army

It is absolutely brilliant!!!

Put it like this, if you like a certain well-known song by the band Smokie, you'll love this! :agree:

The Northern Ireland campaign kicks off on Sunday, and two guys I went to school with are in the team (Aaron Hughes and Stuart Dallas).

So, all the best guys!!! Go and do "Our Wee Country" proud!!!

CaroLiza_fan

So why didn’t you start it? :biggrin: Fun song :)

And, amazing that Wales, England and Northern Ireland are all in. Great Britain has a lot of great football players.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
All I know that Polish team will flop :( There's no excuse for not getting through their group matches at least. We have on paper the strongest team since the 80s with lots of stars but I am not getting my hopes up.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Cl_fan, only one of us will be happy on Sunday :devil:

I will root for the other Ireland though! And Italy :hap10:

Don't worry, there's no danger of us falling out over this.

I'm not actually interested in Men's football, so I'm not going to be paying much attention to this tournament. The only football I will be watching this weekend is last month's Women's FA Cup Final. I was at a motorbike race the day it was on, and I completely forgot about it until yesterday. So, since it expires from BBC iPlayer on Monday, watching it is a priority.

Since Euro 2016 will be taking over the TV for the next month or so, I'm going to take the opportunity to catch up on other things, like updating Fan Fests and watching the TCC.

I just posted here because I absolutely love the song "Making Our Way To Paris", and wanted to share it with you all.

But, there again, it is hardly surprising that I like it so much since I absolutely love the original song!

Ugh this opening ceremony is so awful...but then everything is after London 2012.

Funny you should say that, because I never watched either of the London 2012 Ceremonies. Apart from the Women's football, I don't bother with the Summer Olympics.

When it comes to ceremonies, the ones I use as a yardstick are the Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony, and the Vancouver 2010 Closing Ceremony.

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
I think you'd enjoy the London ceremonies...I love a good opening ceremony, the closing ceremony is usually just an afterthought. But even the London 2012 closing ceremony was better than any opening ceremony I've ever seen. Sochi was really good, too.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So why didn’t you start it? :biggrin: Fun song :)

And, amazing that Wales, England and Northern Ireland are all in. Great Britain has a lot of great football players.

As I said in the comment I just posted, I'm not interested in Men's football. So I thought it would be hypocritical for me to be the Original Poster for a thread on a football tournament.

But, thank you for appreciating the song. Although it is fun, it is still a very credible song. And it is hard for a song to hit both of those targets.

Yes, it is amazing that 4 of the teams from the British Isles qualified (the Republic of Ireland being the other). But, I do feel sorry for Scotland that they missed out.

CaroLiza_fan

TMC

Record Breaker
All I know that Polish team will flop :( There's no excuse for not getting through their group matches at least. We have on paper the strongest team since the 80s with lots of stars but I am not getting my hopes up.

It's okay, they won't come last anyway. Sweden will :biggrin:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
As I said in the comment I just posted, I'm not interested in Men's football. So I thought it would be hypocritical for me to be the Original Poster for a thread on a football tournament.
CaroLiza_fan

All right then. I also prefere watching women's football. But are you sure you won't get caught if Northern Ireland advances?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
All right then. I also prefere watching women's football. But are you sure you won't get caught if Northern Ireland advances?

Nah. I'm not like that. If I hear how they are getting on on the news, then that's more than enough. But I won't be going out of my way to find out what's going on. Like, I don't even know who won the last few Men's World Cups!

But I could tell you all about the last few Women's World Cups! ;) :biggrin:

And good to hear somebody else who prefers Women's football. The Women's game is what the Men's game should be like. And what the Men's game was like before money ruined it.

• Playing honestly.
  • No amateur dramatics.
  • No playing dirty.
  • No diving.
  • The players don't have an overinflated sense of importance.

Of course, there are some exceptions. But not many.

Unlike the men, the women are not getting paid rediculous amounts of money. In fact, many aren't getting paid at all. These girls are playing because they want to. Because they enjoy playing the game. And it shows.

The only thing that could do with improvement is the standard of refereeing. There are some referees in the Women's game that are exceptionally good (Bibiana Steinhaus comes to mind), but a lot are quite poor.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
So happy it started! And so many fans here :biggrin:

Rooting for Spain (and secretly for Russia), but I'm pretty sure that Germany will steamroll its way to the top! ;)

Marta25

Medalist
I`m rooting for Italy! Although I`m already happy if they survive the first round. :biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker
What a brilliant opening match last night! Great playing from both teams, and very evenly matched. Romania was surprisingly good! And kudos to the ref for giving them that penalty, that took guts. What does everybody think, was that first goal legit or not?

Really looking forward to England and Russia tonight.

LRK

Record Breaker
I'm watching. Every two years I do this (for Worlds' & Euros). First I go through the "Oh, no! Do I really want to watch? This will take up so much time!"-stage. And then I get to the begrudging "Oh, fine! I'll watch then! It's tradition after all... "-stage. And then I get truly bitten by the bug. That hasn't quite happened yet, but yesterday was a good start. :)

I'm cheering for Spain, of course - but not having followed any football for two years, I've no idea what state they are in.