2016 Skate Detroit | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Detroit

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also 120 for axel axel and step out of a sal? that is crazy and I understanding being supportive but to over reach is not fair to others there.

What part of the 120 was for Technical and what part was PCS, do you know? Because with the way their program looked and was skated, I can easily see that they could have gotten significantly more than 60 for PC. That would explain the high score you don't like. They've improved their artistic interpretation IMO. It was a dreamy skate.

burntBREAD

Medalist
What part of the 120 was for Technical and what part was PCS, do you know? Because with the way their program looked and was skated, I can easily see that they could have gotten significantly more than 60 for PC. That would explain the high score you don't like. They've improved their artistic interpretation IMO. It was a dreamy skate.

They got around 60 each for TES and PCS -- they gain LOTS of points through their other elements, lifts in particular (all their lifts are also in the bonus), and also their twist and throws are high GOE elements as well. 60 TES isn't too far-fetched.

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They got around 60 each for TES and PCS -- they gain LOTS of points through their other elements, lifts in particular (all their lifts are also in the bonus), and also their twist and throws are high GOE elements as well. 60 TES isn't too far-fetched.

Yes! Their lifts were spectacular. Loved the 2nd to last one especially,.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Considering Stephen is 11 years old, is skating new programs at the junior level for the first time, and is attempting to do a quad Salchow in his FS in addition to a triple Axel I'm going to ask that we reserve judgement until the season has progressed a bit further. There are few skaters his age out there doing the level of technical elements he is so maybe we can take a wait and see approach.

Why is an eleven year old child putting a quad Salchow and triple Axel into his program? Is Tom Z coaching him now?

s_parks

Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm all for challenging yourself and skating up to your abilities, but a quad at 11 is pushing it. Wouldn't hurt to wait a bit longer...

Skye

On the Ice
Yeah, I'm all for challenging yourself and skating up to your abilities, but a quad at 11 is pushing it. Wouldn't hurt to wait a bit longer...

Agreed. Especially considering that Stephen's skating skills and jump technic of his triples leave much to be desired...

yyzskater

On the Ice
I agree. This jump jump jump culture is ruining what makes figure skating so different from other sports. The beauty and artistry is getting lost as skaters keep chasing the jumps earlier and earlier. The funny thing is, especially for the ladies, it's the same 6 jumps whether you get them at 11 or 18. Why not spend more time on gaining better skating skills than getting the jumps earlier? Just my two cents...

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Why not spend more time on gaining better skating skills than getting the jumps earlier? Just my two cents...

My theory:

Because the evidence implies that if you wait too long, you can't get the big jumps. You can get them back after you lose them. (Post adolescence and sometimes post injury). But getting them for the first time post adolescence . . . not a lot of evidence that that's happening for most guys.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I guess the next time Brian gets interviewed someone can ask him about the quad Salchow. My guess is that they want to get him used to doing at least one for when he's on the JGP (in 2018-2019). The triple Axel has been there since last year. He can do it, why should he not? For many novice and junior men getting a 3A is a big priority. You can't say you've 'got' all your triples without it. I don't have inside knowledge of what goes on at the Cricket, but seeing videos of stroking classes featuring all levels of skaters I think it's safe to say they also emphasize things other than jumps. And seeing as he has all his triples, Stephen's got to be working on other stuff too.

Getting back to the topic, does anyone know the final results in junior pairs?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
My theory:

Because the evidence implies that if you wait too long, you can't get the big jumps. You can get them back after you lose them. (Post adolescence and sometimes post injury). But getting them for the first time post adolescence . . . not a lot of evidence that that's happening for most guys.

Because, pound for pound, quads are hugely rewarded competitively in comparison to other elements. Orser would not be interested in him otherwise...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Because, pound for pound, quads are hugely rewarded competitively in comparison to other elements. Orser would not be interested in him otherwise...

I don't mean to keep derailing the thread and would prefer to discuss this in his fanfest but I think there are some misconceptions about this kid. When Stephen first started at the Cricket, he was still working on his triples. He first attempted a triple Lutz in competition at 2014 Thornhill Summer Skate after he had started training at The Cricket (source). If you look at protocols for his earlier competitions you'll see doubles and the simpler triple jumps. The Cricket itself posted videos of him landing a 3A and 4S after he'd been there at least one season. Brian took him on because of potential, just like he does any of the skaters who don't have huge accomplishments prior to starting there.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jacob Simon's Skate Detroit vlog:
07/26/16
00:07:04
http://web.icenetwork.com/video/topic/61816542/v972512983 (viewable without an IN subscription)​

I always enjoy Jacob's videos :popcorn:, and this one is no exception. It has some informative behind-the-scenes stuff as well as fun shots. A good mix.

Especially liked the parts from the post-comp USFS camp for pairs -- including some "sneaky ... :)" (Jacob's word and emoticon) footage of lessons with Frank Carroll.
Jacob mentioned that Yuka Sato and Pasquale also were teaching at the camp.

Last edited:

russianbratz

Match Penalty
My theory:

I think this is it. If you learn the jumps early, you get that muscle memory early on, and you avoid injury later on.