2017/2018 Short Dance Rhythm Announced | Golden Skate

2017/2018 Short Dance Rhythm Announced

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
The ISU had decided upon a Short Dance rhythm for the Olympic season... Latin American dances (including Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, ChaCha, Meringue, Salsa, and Bachata). Senior level teams are required to skate the Rhumba pattern (though they can use any of the formentioned rhythms), while the required pattern for Junior teams is the ChaCha Congelado.

What do you think of this selection? I'm quite excited for it - I love Latin American music! I think there should be a good amount of variety as well, and the general public loves Latin American music - perhaps this will result in more people watching the Ice Dance event at the Olympics?

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Thank you for the information, but, to be honest, I am disappointed. I hoped the required rhythm for seniors in the Olympic season was going to be Argentine tango or another tango. And for me personally the Rhumba SDs in the 2011/2012 season were the most boring of all the SDs so far.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
very happy... that's exactly what i was hoping for ;) yup rhumba can be dull... but they only need to use the pattern.... samba, mambo, cha cha cha could lead to very exciting and spectacular SDs... I think that teams will aim for faster rhythms and spectacular choreography for the Olympic year and we certainly will have a better show
than 2011-2012

Layback11

Record Breaker
Ack, the Shibs just got 89% less likely to medal :cry:

Ruslena, H/D and V/M should slay this one, though. Looking forward to their interpretations of this dance. :yes:

Marta25

Medalist
I`m looking forward to it. :) I love Latin American dances and I`m also glad it`s not again a CD, that the teams can mix with Waltz. I also think that teams like Ruslena and H/D are going to slay this. It`s not so good for a team like P/I though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^^ i think weapo will nail it too .... P/I will probably not qualify for worlds/ogames

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
SD results pretty much determines the final placement these days. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Rhumba pattern looks very simple on paper. I was hoping to get a more intricate required dance pattern for the Olympic year.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Ack, the Shibs just got 89% less likely to medal :cry:

I don't think so. Tango generally requires sexual chemistry. Latin can just require fun.

My favorite Latin performer last time around was Luca Lanotte. He was the only one that had the hip movement.

In any case, a Latin combo--outside the rhumba--will require fast footwork and moving out for all the teams. So I'm happy.
(Let's not overdo the screechy whistle music, though. The SD at Junior Worlds in 2015 had my head ringing by the end of it).

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
I was hoping for a tango SD, so I'm a bit disappointed. I like the rhumba, but I'm not a big fan of most of the other Latin dances (they bore me really fast). I think for the Shibs is not that bad.... I'm curious to see what Chock/Bates and Pap/Ciz will do (I fear Madison totally overshadowing Evan, and Guillaume overshadowing Gabi). It's great for the old veterans :biggrin: WeaPo, Cappellini/Lanotte and V/M will be amazing (and very steamy probably).

I honestly hope all the bad luck related to Latin dances and the Olympics ended in Torino because that famous evening was really a nightmare

sarama

Medalist
I think P/C could nail it too. This rhumba is from 2011 and I'm looking more at Gabriella than Guillaume
2011 JGP Tallinn SD

They nailed the rhumba there for sure! It's so nice to look back at the skaters when nobody cared about them and realise how good they already were (and cute).... I'm looking forward to see what they'll produce 6 years later (I'm sure they will be way better dressed, this year they had A+ costumes)

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I can't help but come up with names in the case that a current team's partial step sequence gets adapted to a pattern dance. Chocka Batechata (Chock/Bates); Shib Salsa (Shibs); Cizzling Papa Samba (Papadakis/Cizeron), etc.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I love Latin music mix, but have rarely seen ice dancers really good at that.

But I'm somewhat relieved the SD is not jive that I don't enjoy. The Jive OD for Nagano was a hot mess.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't think so. Tango generally requires sexual chemistry. Latin can just require fun.

My favorite Latin performer last time around was Luca Lanotte. He was the only one that had the hip movement.

In any case, a Latin combo--outside the rhumba--will require fast footwork and moving out for all the teams. So I'm happy.
(Let's not overdo the screechy whistle music, though. The SD at Junior Worlds in 2015 had my head ringing by the end of it).

LOL Yes there was rather an epidemic of White Boy Hips last time around.

Well you know the Olympic season SD is ALWAYS going to be an upbeat "fun" rhythm/pattern to counter the tendency to Ingmar Bergmanesque levels of FD Uber! Trauma! Dramahhhhhhhhh! that teams seem to feel they need to do in order to win (they think it's Much More Artistic and Important or something silly like that). I would rather they had gone with a different set pattern than rhumba (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz),but it is what it is.

Let's hope they keep the sequins to a minimum this time around or yes I fear another splatfest a la Torino.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
LOL Yes there was rather an epidemic of White Boy Hips last time around.

Well you know the Olympic season SD is ALWAYS going to be an upbeat "fun" rhythm/pattern to counter the tendency to Ingmar Bergmanesque levels of FD Uber! Trauma! Dramahhhhhhhhh! that teams seem to feel they need to do in order to win (they think it's Much More Artistic and Important or something silly like that). I would rather they had gone with a different set pattern than rhumba (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz),but it is what it is.

Let's hope they keep the sequins to a minimum this time around or yes I fear another splatfest a la Torino.

What is supposed to mean "Ingmar Bergmanesque levels of FD Uber"? :laugh2: Super serious about our global events or human madness?

As soon as I saw the news, I instantly recalled the forgettable Olympics plagued by splatfest, so I'm not the only one. :laugh:

Astrid56

Final Flight
I was hoping for a tango SD, so I'm a bit disappointed. I like the rhumba, but I'm not a big fan of most of the other Latin dances (they bore me really fast). I think for the Shibs is not that bad.... I'm curious to see what Chock/Bates and Pap/Ciz will do (I fear Madison totally overshadowing Evan, and Guillaume overshadowing Gabi). It's great for the old veterans :biggrin: WeaPo, Cappellini/Lanotte and V/M will be amazing (and very steamy probably).

I honestly hope all the bad luck related to Latin dances and the Olympics ended in Torino because that famous evening was really a nightmare

I don't think Evan will get overshadowed by Madi. He's a strong partner - equally expressive and competent. Here's their first ever Short Dance (as an Ice-Dance team) performing a combination of Rhumba and Samba. I think this will be a very good dance style for them playing up their strengths and personality _ https://youtu.be/F8MfA0wRy0E

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm actually quite excited! I bet there will be at LEAST one dance team who'll use songs from the "Rio" soundtrack or "Let's Get Loud" by J-Lo.