2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance

Barb

Record Breaker
I don´t want nobody retire, I prefer some teams change country. My impossible dream would be the Shibs competing for Japan.
Carreira/Ponomarenko can to compete for Russia?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I don´t want nobody retire, I prefer some teams change country. My impossible dream would be the Shibs competing for Japan.
Carreira/Ponomarenko can to compete for Russia?

Or Canada, since Christina's a Montreal-born skater.

As for Rachel and Michael, their reactions after the FD were priceless <3

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Shibutanis are not going to skate for Japan. If they wanted to do that, they would have done it while still juniors, like the Reeds.

Sure, Ponomarenko could skate for Russia. But he would have to sit out a season or two (IDR the exact time requirement) at a critical time. Furthermore, the US would have the right to put brakes on a release. And Russian coaching in ice dance isn't exactly the world standard :dumb:.

C/P are doing great right where they are, so why give it up?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I really don't think any of the US dancers will retire after the Olympics next year. Unless of course they end up winning the Gold and then they should take it and run!

But I am not sure they will all stay in the game until 2022, too many variables (training costs, injury, etc.).

Right now the US Ice Dance world is amazingly deep and as a fan, I am going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

I think the beauty of how skating is structured is that even if you don't go to Worlds, you still have opportunities via Grand Prix and Challenger Series. I think the key thing for these teams is to figure out ways to keep growing from year-to-year and to seize an opening when they come.

I do think there will be a bit of a redevelopment period in the junior level as the people left, other than Carriera/Pomerenko and Lewis/Bye, are very very young. The Greens, Gunther/Wein, Gropeman/Sommerville...plus the Novice teams moving up.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want to see 1 or 2 of the top teams retire after 2108. It's not like Canada where they would need V/M or W/P to hang around to help keep 3 spots US Dance not only has much more depth in Seniors but Juniors coming up too.

Ah, the old "make room" argument.

Not me. I don't want anyone to step down from their perch. I want the young guns to knock them off of it.

If they can't do that, then they don't deserve to stand on it.

Barb

Record Breaker
The Shibutanis are not going to skate for Japan. If they wanted to do that, they would have done it while still juniors, like the Reeds.

Sure, Ponomarenko could skate for Russia. But he would have to sit out a season or two (IDR the exact time requirement) at a critical time. Furthermore, the US would have the right to put brakes on a release. And Russian coaching in ice dance isn't exactly the world standard :dumb:.

C/P are doing great right where they are, so why give it up?

I know, that is because I said my ¨impossible dream¨

And obviously when I said C&P skate for Russia, I am thinking about they continue training with Igor. But yes, the most probable is nobody is changing countries, good luck with that, just look at how is doing H/B and they were jr. world champions. And nobody should be asking retirements, everyone must to win their spot.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
The Shibs will never skate for Japan because they are American citizens, born and raised in America and are in their twenties and probably feel fully American, and are ambassadors and spokespeople for Team USA and now the State Department. They are as American as can be with a respect and pride for their Japanese heritage.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know, that is because I said my ¨impossible dream¨

And obviously when I said C&P skate for Russia, I am thinking about they continue training with Igor. But yes, the most probable is nobody is changing countries, good luck with that, just look at how is doing H/B and they were jr. world champions. And nobody should be asking retirements, everyone must to win their spot.

At least Hayawek/Baker are still skating together, and are doing well with their beautiful programs. Their successor as JW champions Yanovskaya/Mozgov had one senior season in the GP and bombed. I don't know what Mozgov is doing, but Yanovskaya is now skating for Hungary.

gmyers

Record Breaker
At least Hayawek/Baker are still skating together, and are doing well with their beautiful programs. Their successor as JW champions Yanovskaya/Mozgov had one senior season in the GP and bombed. I don't know what Mozgov is doing, but Yanovskaya is now skating for Hungary.

Russia didn't give mozgov and popova a chance at nationals! They were Denied wild card they should have received.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think the beauty of how skating is structured is that even if you don't go to Worlds, you still have opportunities via Grand Prix and Challenger Series. I think the key thing for these teams is to figure out ways to keep growing from year-to-year and to seize an opening when they come.

I do think there will be a bit of a redevelopment period in the junior level as the people left, other than Carriera/Pomerenko and Lewis/Bye, are very very young. The Greens, Gunther/Wein, Gropeman/Sommerville...plus the Novice teams moving up.

hello :)

I fully agree - it is all about constant, rightly directed progress and seizing opportunities given by each season, especially in Ice Dance with such depth and diversification like US has now. Really nothing to complain about, just lots to enjoy!:cheer:

I'd really like to see all US current top 3 going forward after 2018 OG, especially Shibutanis, but we'll see how it will unfolds. On the other hand, I desperately want Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc to break through and get into the top game.

Juniors look interesting and promising, I hope both Parsons siblings and Lorraine and Quinn will have a strong senior season debut and will make an impression as this will be a perfect timing to enter senior scene in my opinion with that 'change of guards' between Olympic quads. I just hope for a great material next season for them and not being discouraged to Lorraine and Quinn by weaker Junior Worlds recent result.

I think that as Men field is getting really crowded with various type of greatness in US, Ice Dance looks really strong too - all teams, top seniors and upcoming junior teams, are capable of high scores and top placements.

blancanieves

On the Ice
Considering the age, probably H/D, but actually only C/B have said they plan continue after Korea.

None of the top three would be too old to continue in ice dance post 2018. But, I'm curious why you figured Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell would apparently age out and not Alex Shibutani. They're the same age. Also, Evan Bates is two years older than all of them.

Barb

Record Breaker
None of the top three would be too old to continue in ice dance post 2018. But, I'm curious why you figured Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell would apparently age out and not Alex Shibutani. They're the same age. Also, Evan Bates is two years older than all of them.

Alex is 25 and Madison and Zack 26. But I was considering the team. Maia is 22 yo, usually the couple retire together. And Evan said he plan continue.

Really it is not like I think they are too old to compete, I think that Maia is very young to retire.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Madison Hubbell had surgery for a torn hip labrum two years ago. That might make her hesitant to continue for another quad.

aka_gerbil

On the Ice
Alex is 25 and Madison and Zack 26. But I was considering the team. Maia is 22 yo, usually the couple retire together. And Evan said he plan continue.

Really it is not like I think they are too old to compete, I think that Maia is very young to retire.

Zach Donohue: January 8, 1991
Madison Hubbell: February 24, 1991
Alex Shibutani: April 25, 1991

Zach is 3 1/2 months older than Alex. Madi is 2 months older. Basically, they're all the same age.

Madison Hubbell had surgery for a torn hip labrum two years ago. That might make her hesitant to continue for another quad.

3 years ago, not 2. She has reiterated multiple times now that she's fully recovered from the injury and surgery.

If anything, I think h/d would be more inclined to continue since they're just now starting to see some real success. They're knocking on the door to the top group, so why would they quit when they are so close?

blancanieves

On the Ice
All teams assess the state of their finances, personal priorities, health, etc. continually and the start of a new quad is one of those pivotal moments.

Who knows what decisions will be made, but I don't necessarily assume that a couple has to retire together. Sure, longevity makes teams stronger, but familiar faces in new team configurations can be unexpectedly great sometimes. We'll see.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Happy to say that ice dance seemed to be the marquee discipline on today's three-hour Worlds recap show on NBC (the broadcast network, as opposed to NBCSN).

The show ended with five FDs: Chock/Bates; Shibs; Papadakis/Cizeron; Virtue/Moir; Hubbell/Donohue.

I think NBC understandably is setting the stage for the Olympics and making a point of trying to familiarize any casual viewers with U.S. skaters and U.S. storylines that most likely will be part of the network's coverage of the 2018 Games.
I don't want to jinx anyone, but among U.S. skaters, the three ice dance couples and their rivalry are among the safest bets.

(The NBC recap broadcast started with free skates from five ladies: Wagner, Chen, Medvedeva, Daleman, Osmond.
Then free skates from four pairs: Scimeca Knierim/Knierim; Tarasova/Morozov; Savchenko/Massot; Sui/Han.
Then free skates from [surprisingly, IMO] only four men: Hanyu; Chen; Uno; Fernandez. No Brown and no Jin this time [although their free skates previously had been shown in NBC's Helsinki coverage]. [And no Chan.])

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Happy to say that ice dance seemed to be the marquee discipline on today's three-hour Worlds recap show on NBC (the broadcast network, as opposed to NBCSN).

The show ended with five FDs: Chock/Bates; Shibs; Papadakis/Cizeron; Virtue/Moir; Hubbell/Donohue.

I think NBC understandably is setting the stage for the Olympics and making a point of trying to familiarize any casual viewers with U.S. skaters and U.S. storylines that most likely will be part of the network's coverage of the 2018 Games.
I don't want to jinx anyone, but among U.S. skaters, the three ice dance couples and their rivalry are among the safest bets.

(The NBC recap broadcast started with free skates from five ladies: Wagner, Chen, Medvedeva, Daleman, Osmond.
Then free skates from four pairs: Scimeca Knierim/Knierim; Tarasova/Morozov; Savchenko/Massot; Sui/Han.
Then free skates from [surprisingly, IMO] only four men: Hanyu; Chen; Uno; Fernandez. No Brown and no Jin this time [although their free skates previously had been shown in NBC's Helsinki coverage]. [And no Chan.])

:hap57: Finally they are understanding it!!

eta. What a pity that this coincided with the worst performances of C/B and H/D :scard8:

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
:Finally they are understanding it!!

eta. What a pity that this coincided with the worst performances of C/B and H/D

Yes. Last year;s Worlds would have been so much better for introducing NBC's audience to this amazing field of athletes. But that's the reality of sports.

I had a pretty strong feeling Evan was going to stay in. So many people were assuming he would get out, but I've never heard of him mentioning an interest in doing anything else.

As someone up above said, I think all the teams will reassess their goals after the Olympics. Dance is a long lived sport. There is no reason any of these U.S. teams could not continue to compete another quadrennium. If they reach their goals or have other ones to chase, they may decide to move on. They have a much deeper field of upcoming young contenders to hold off than many dance teams around the world. But the current top three U.S. teams are all from a younger competitive generation than Virtue & Moir, Cappellini & Lanotte, Weaver & Poje, and Bobrova & Soloviev. The teams have good role models. I find it ironic that people assume the "young Russian teams," "young Italian team," and "new Spanish teams" will stay in, but assume the U.S. dancers will get out. Guignard & Fabbri are older than all the U.S. dance teams. Elena & Nikita are the same ages as Maia & Alex. Hurtado & Khaliavin--in the same age bracket as the U.S. dancers. If you are fighting to stand on top the U.S. dance podium right now, you have the competitive stuff. That's certain.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

ABOUT DAMN TIME AMERICA ! This is your best discipline BY FAR !
And it's also the best discipline among the 4 :rolleye: :biggrin:

Nathan13

Medalist
Ice Dance in the US is amazing right now, but after 2018 it's going to be even more ridiculously amazing. The Parsons, McNamara and Carpenter, and eventually Carriera and Ponomarenko, plus presumably all of the top 3, plus Hawayek and Baker.