Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Considering the age, probably H/D, but actually only C/B have said they plan continue after Korea.
    None of the top three would be too old to continue in ice dance post 2018. But, I'm curious why you figured Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell would apparently age out and not Alex Shibutani. They're the same age. Also, Evan Bates is two years older than all of them.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by blancanieves View Post
    None of the top three would be too old to continue in ice dance post 2018. But, I'm curious why you figured Zach Donohue and Madison Hubbell would apparently age out and not Alex Shibutani. They're the same age. Also, Evan Bates is two years older than all of them.
    Alex is 25 and Madison and Zack 26. But I was considering the team. Maia is 22 yo, usually the couple retire together. And Evan said he plan continue.

Really it is not like I think they are too old to compete, I think that Maia is very young to retire.
    Last edited by chapis; 03-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Custom Title

0 Not allowed!
    Madison Hubbell had surgery for a torn hip labrum two years ago. That might make her hesitant to continue for another quad.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    Alex is 25 and Madison and Zack 26. But I was considering the team. Maia is 22 yo, usually the couple retire together. And Evan said he plan continue.

Really it is not like I think they are too old to compete, I think that Maia is very young to retire.
    Zach Donohue: January 8, 1991
    Madison Hubbell: February 24, 1991
    Alex Shibutani: April 25, 1991

Zach is 3 1/2 months older than Alex. Madi is 2 months older. Basically, they're all the same age.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Madison Hubbell had surgery for a torn hip labrum two years ago. That might make her hesitant to continue for another quad.
    3 years ago, not 2. She has reiterated multiple times now that she's fully recovered from the injury and surgery.

If anything, I think h/d would be more inclined to continue since they're just now starting to see some real success. They're knocking on the door to the top group, so why would they quit when they are so close?

On the Ice

1 Not allowed!
    All teams assess the state of their finances, personal priorities, health, etc. continually and the start of a new quad is one of those pivotal moments.

Who knows what decisions will be made, but I don't necessarily assume that a couple has to retire together. Sure, longevity makes teams stronger, but familiar faces in new team configurations can be unexpectedly great sometimes. We'll see.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3