2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm a bit surprised that this thread is not as active as those for the U.S. Men or U.S. Ladies skating although dance is arguably the most competitive discipline for Americans to earn Olympics and World medals than the others. Fan fests and event pages do serve well for individual teams or their outings at such events but when we talk about the general trend, power swifts between dancers or coaches, or competitiveness, this kind of thread would be a good place for discussion with a wide range of perspective.

So far, junior teams are impressive on JGP series. M/C and the Parsons kept doing well respectively, but also C/P improved a lot.

I was impressed by Madison and Evan's SD at Nebelhorn, while I didn't warm with H/D's routines at Lombardia last week. I didn't get connected with Madison and Evan until yesterday and had more soft spots for H/D. However, with the routine, C/B may change their image successfully and attract people who previously have no interest in them. They seem to be willing to take a risk to step up to the upper level.

I'm a bit surprised that this thread is not as active as those for the U.S. Men or U.S. Ladies skating although dance is arguably the most competitive discipline for Americans to earn Olympics and World medals than the others. Fan fests and event pages do serve well for individual teams or their outings at such events but when we talk about the general trend, power swifts between dancers or coaches, or competitiveness, this kind of thread would be a good place for discussion with a wide range of perspective.

I'm also surprised that this thread hasn't blown up yet like the others have. It feels a bit strange to be getting in so early...:slink:

The foremost question in my mind, with U.S. ice dance, is whether or not the Shibutanis will be able to defend their national title this year. And although I'm not into making predictions, I will say that I think Chock/Bates and Hubbel/Donahue have left an opening for them to do that. In my mind, the emotional honesty of the Shibs' performance last year was what really set them apart from the others, and this year I don't think the other top teams are really challenging themselves in that area -- at least not so far.

As always with Chock and Bates, I see a lot of emoting on her part in the FD, but I can't grasp what the emotional arc of the performance is. I really do try to like their performances, but every time I've watched them since 2014-15, I just get this sense that they are never able to forget about the judging panel and lose themselves in the music. On the other hand, I think it's clear that Chock enjoys being "bad to the bone" in their SD. I just worry that the FD doesn't leave room for her to open up in the same way.

With Hubbel and Donahue, I really want to see them do well, and I do think they have the ability to place higher at nationals, but I just don't think they did themselves any favors with this FD. To me, it's pure schmaltz. I gather from the music they've chosen that the dance is supposed to be about falling/being in love, but the program is so emotionally one-note that I just don't believe it. Love involves a range of emotions, positive and negative: the thrill of finding someone and the fear of losing them again, the ecstasy of each moment of connection and the corresponding knowledge that these moments are fleeting, etc, etc... Whereas with this dance, although there are a few hints of more turbulent emotion at the very beginning, for the most part it's lyrical ecstasy, followed by slow ecstasy, followed by up-tempo ecstasy. I just... :noshake: Again, it doesn't seem emotionally honest to me.

But of course, I hope both teams will prove me wrong! I want to see all of the American teams stretching themselves and performing at their best. I am rooting for the Shibutanis to win again, but I want them to earn that title the way they did last year.

humbaba

Final Flight
So far, the Shibutanis are MIA this season. It's odd for a team that has always been so active in promoting themselves.

Nathan13

Medalist
I hope that the Parsons and/or M/C compete in Seniors at Nationals. I want to see how they stack up against the other top US teams...

olayolay

On the Ice
Chock/Bates's FD to 'Under Pressure' is so confusing to me. What's the story supposed to be? What's the emotion of the piece supposed to be? What's with the weird music cut? Do they realize the lyrics of the song are actually kind of angsty? Why is she smiling and grinning so much? What is he trying to convey at all?

But at least it's kind of an interesting mess. Hubbell/Donohue and Hawayek/Baker's FDs are completely and utterly forgettable.

chameleon

On the Ice
I hope that the Parsons and/or M/C compete in Seniors at Nationals. I want to see how they stack up against the other top US teams...

It's much harder to compete both junior and senior in ice dance because you have to learn a whole new SD as well as making the free longer and adding another lift. You generally don't see teams both unless they are either from a country that requires it from their top juniors(like Canada) or the dance program in their country is so small it's both worth their time to do both and they can afford to split their attention like that. And with M/C's less than stellar performance today they need to focus on being clean at JGPF.

I liked both of Chock/Bates' programs more on rewatch, especially the free. I liked the SD right away, but I was initially a little confused about the FD. They might want to adjust a little so the programs are easier to get into, but there's some really interesting stuff in both programs that I hope they keep.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Chock/Bates's FD to 'Under Pressure' is so confusing to me. What's the story supposed to be? What's the emotion of the piece supposed to be? What's with the weird music cut? Do they realize the lyrics of the song are actually kind of angsty? Why is she smiling and grinning so much? What is he trying to convey at all?

But at least it's kind of an interesting mess. Hubbell/Donohue and Hawayek/Baker's FDs are completely and utterly forgettable.

Hawayek/Baker's FD is completely and utterly stamped on my memory. ;) I personally like their SD more though.

As for H/D...well, since they moved to Montreal, I kind lost my interest in them. I hope they find their own identity in their dance.

I don't think Chock/Bates will keep the FD as intact considering that they revised their programs over the season.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Among the top U.S. dancers, the Shibutanis' programs are still a mystery except their choice of music.

They are just listed as substitutes for Finlandia Trophy to be held in this week. I hoped to see their program until Skate America, but that would not happen I guess.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Three US teams (all from WISA) competed at the NRW Ice Trophy this weekend in Germany. Caroline and Gordon Green skated in Advance Novice (Caroline won't be ISU Junior eligible until next season), as well as Eliana Gropman/Ian Somerville and Emma Gunter/Caleb Wein in Junior.

Results page: http://www.lev-nrw.org/docs/event/1548/index.htm

Green/Green won all three Advanced Novice segments (2 Pattern Dances + Free Dance) for a total of 93.05, which is almost 20 points above the silver medalists.

- Killian Pattern Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BFog-h92nE
- Blues Pattern Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDbV4UofZDc
- Free Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meLgDZpL8vA

Color me impressed, wow. Can't wait to see them on the JGP next season!

Gropman/Somerville placed 6th in the SD and 3rd in the FD, for 5th overall with a total of 126.37, which is a new PB (not sure if this comp counts for ISU PBs). They were only about 2 points out of bronze!

- Short Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PiOB0npuc

Interesting music cuts (a mix of two New Kids on the Block songs and a Backstreet Boys song, via their ISU profile)

- Free Dance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PiOB0npuc

Ian is a bit more than a year older than Gordon Green and Eliana is at least 2.5 years older than Caroline. Yet if I hadn't looked up their birthdays on ISU profiles/WISA's website, I totally wouldn't be able to tell.

I liked their FD. The first set of twizzles was pretty good. The slower sections of the music felt a bit weird to me.

Gunter/Wein placed 8th in both the SD and FD for a total of 116.06, and ended up 7th overall. Their score is also a new PB.

Gunter/Wein FD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSYZlDKewJU

I like their music because it sounds like it comes from my Pandora station.

Gunter/Wein's SD isn't posted at this time.

Aqua Lady

On the Ice
I really, really want to see Madi and Zach soar. Along with Virtue and Moir, I believe they have the best connection/chemistry among all dance teams right now. I LOVE their FD this season. I think it's an incredibly stunning program. Technically, they are getting better and better each time they compete. I wish to see them in the World or Olympic podium someday. As for Junior teams, I think Carreira and Ponomarenko have a lot of potential. I'm gonna be definitely watching them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Rachel and Michael Parsons :yay:.

If I am not mistaken, they are the first-ever siblings to win Junior Worlds as ice dancers :cool:.

It has been on my mind that siblings are at the top of U.S. ice dance both at the junior and senior level.
So for now at least, the sibling relationship is not holding back either the Parsons or the Shibs.

Anyway ... I cried :sad4: with happiness :dance2: for the Parsons today.
They always seem very supportive of each other, and I esp. was touched that right after coming off the ice after their SD, Rachel immediately turned to her brother for an extra-long hug.

When watching ice dance, I tend to watch the male partner as much as (or even more than) the female, but I do find it hard to take my eyes off Rachel's radiance.
(Meant as a compliment to her and not as a criticism of Michael.)

[As an aside, she has been a good sport on social media this week when the CBC at least twice has made the mistake of using a photo of the Parsons to promote coverage of the Pairs :eek: competition.]

Congratulations to Christina and Anthony for the bronze.
(BTW #1: She has been blogging from Taipei for IN.
(BTW #2: As a purple-lover, I appreciated the color scheme :luv17: of their FD costumes. Bonus points from me for his purple velvet pants :yes:.)

And lots of hugs to Lorraine and Quinn :ghug:. I hope they will come back strong next season.

Last edited:

olayolay

On the Ice
Really curious to see who retires after 2018 between the Shibs, Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue because US ice dance is getting crowded. Three junior world champions with Hawayek/Baker, McNamara/Carpenter, and the Parsons sibs. Probably four by this time next year considering how Carreira/Ponomarenko placed in Taipei. There just aren't enough spots for 2022.

Barb

Record Breaker
olayolay;1668952[B said:
]Really curious to see who retires after 2018 between the Shibs, Chock/Bates and Hubbell/Donohue because US ice dance is getting crowded[/B]. Three junior world champions with Hawayek/Baker, McNamara/Carpenter, and the Parsons sibs. Probably four by this time next year considering how Carreira/Ponomarenko placed in Taipei. There just aren't enough spots for 2022.

Considering the age, probably H/D, but actually only C/B have said they plan continue after Korea.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really don't think any of the US dancers will retire after the Olympics next year. Unless of course they end up winning the Gold and then they should take it and run!

But I am not sure they will all stay in the game until 2022, too many variables (training costs, injury, etc.).

Right now the US Ice Dance world is amazingly deep and as a fan, I am going to just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I really want to see 1 or 2 of the top teams retire after 2108. It's not like Canada where they would need V/M or W/P to hang around to help keep 3 spots US Dance not only has much more depth in Seniors but Juniors coming up too.