2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016-2017 State of U.S. Ice Dance

Weathergal

Medalist
Ice Dance in the US is amazing right now, but after 2018 it's going to be even more ridiculously amazing. The Parsons, McNamara and Carpenter, and eventually Carriera and Ponomarenko, plus presumably all of the top 3, plus Hawayek and Baker.

I would add Pogrebinsky / Benoit to that list. They had a pretty good debut as seniors this year! I think they show a lot of promise!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would hope to be honest at least one or two of the top teams retire in the next few years if only because the field is going to just keep getting more crowded. I don't see why Evan would want to go to 2022 is 3 Olympics not enough for him? Canada has the exact opposite problem if V/M and W/P retire after 2018 there is only G/P left and no teams after them right now that could probably finish in the top 15.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I would hope to be honest at least one or two of the top teams retire in the next few years if only because the field is going to just keep getting more crowded. I don't see why Evan would want to go to 2022 is 3 Olympics not enough for him? Canada has the exact opposite problem if V/M and W/P retire after 2018 there is only G/P left and no teams after them right now that could probably finish in the top 15.

It's very true that Canada has a lot less depth in dance right now compared to the United States. There are a couple of teams coming up who are youngish (Soucisse/Firus) and young (Lajoie/Lagha) who I like. It'll be fun to see them and some of the young American teams at 4CC next season.

Nathan13

Medalist
I would add Pogrebinsky / Benoit to that list. They had a pretty good debut as seniors this year! I think they show a lot of promise!

I completely forgot about them, which is ironic because I'm a fan :slink: That makes eight teams that are all worthy of international teams, and 5 out of 8 have already broken 100 in the FD (and the other three surely will once they turn senior) :reye:

zebobes

Final Flight
Watching world team trophy this weekend gave me an idea, and I want to make a prediction: I think all three US ice dance teams will get an Olympic medal. Two will get it from the team event, the third like Sotnikova will be so motivated that they will medal in the individual ice dance event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicfan80

Medalist
Watching world team trophy this weekend gave me an idea, and I want to make a prediction: I think all three US ice dance teams will get an Olympic medal. Two will get it from the team event, the third like Sotnikova will be so motivated that they will medal in the individual ice dance event.

I do think that both the Shibs and Chock/Bates could end up doing the team event. I don't think Hubbell & Donohue will be very happy to be skating at the 2018 Olympics in the ice dance competition - and that's it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think there will be more great teams than just listed above. Just wait.

So do I. How did our Juniors do this season. I seem to remember liking the Parsons' quite a bit this year. Don't we have 3 spots for next season?

larat

On the Ice
I think the beauty of how skating is structured is that even if you don't go to Worlds, you still have opportunities via Grand Prix and Challenger Series. I think the key thing for these teams is to figure out ways to keep growing from year-to-year and to seize an opening when they come.

I do think there will be a bit of a redevelopment period in the junior level as the people left, other than Carriera/Pomerenko and Lewis/Bye, are very very young. The Greens, Gunther/Wein, Gropeman/Sommerville...plus the Novice teams moving up.

I think we just might see some more interesting Juniors this year who are strong enough to challenge C/P and L/B

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
So do I. How did our Juniors do this season. I seem to remember liking the Parsons' quite a bit this year. Don't we have 3 spots for next season?

Our juniors finished 1st (Parsons) & 3rd (Carreira & Ponomarenko) & 7th (McNamara & Carpenter) at Junior Worlds and 1st (Parsons), 3rd (McNamara & Carpenter), and 4th (Carreira & Ponomarenko) at the JGPF, and 1st at JGP Japan (Parsons), 1st at JGP Germany (Parsons), 1st at JGP Czech Republic (McNamara & Carpenter), 1st at JGP Slovenia (McNamara & Carpenter), 2nd at JGP France (Carreira & Ponomarenko), 2nd at JGP Russia (Carreira & Ponomarenko), 3rd at JGP Estonia (Lewis & Bye), 1st, 2nd, & 3rd at Lake Placid International (Parsons, Lewis & Bye, Gropman & Somerville), 1st, 2nd, 3rd at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (McNamara & Carpenter, Carreira & Ponomarenko, the Greens). And the Greens, who were not age eligible for international juniors yet, finished 1st in advanced novices at the NRW Trophy & Bavarian Open. We also had novice teams finish 2nd (Elders) and 3rd (DelCamp & Gart) at the Bavarian Open. Our top 3 junior teams are currently in the top 24 in the World on the ISU Season's Best list for ice dance. The Parsons and McNamara & Carpenter are also top 24 on the ISU World Standings List.

How do you think our juniors did? ;)

Those were the medals & major international placements. Gunter & Wein & Gropman & Somerville also went to one event each on the JGP. Lewis & Bye went to another JGP event prior to the one in which they medaled. And Efimova & Petrov competed in the junior division at the Bavarian Open. I believe G&W and G&S also went to the NRW trophy.

Last edited:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Our juniors finished 1st (Parsons) & 3rd (Carreira & Ponomarenko) & 7th (McNamara & Carpenter) at Junior Worlds and 1st (Parsons), 3rd (McNamara & Carpenter), and 4th (Carreira & Ponomarenko) at the JGPF, and 1st at JGP Japan (Parsons), 1st at JGP Germany (Parsons), 1st at JGP Czech Republic (McNamara & Carpenter), 1st at JGP Slovenia (McNamara & Carpenter), 2nd at JGP France (Carreira & Ponomarenko), 2nd at JGP Russia (Carreira & Ponomarenko), 3rd at JGP Estonia (Lewis & Bye), 1st, 2nd, & 3rd at Lake Placid International (Parsons, Lewis & Bye, Gropman & Somerville), 1st, 2nd, 3rd at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships (McNamara & Carpenter, Carreira & Ponomarenko, the Greens). And the Greens, who were not age eligible for international juniors yet, finished 1st in advanced novices at the NRW Trophy & Bavarian Open. We also had novice teams finish 2nd (Elders) and 3rd (DelCamp & Gart) at the Bavarian Open. Our top 3 junior teams are currently in the top 24 in the World on the ISU Season's Best list for ice dance. The Parsons and McNamara & Carpenter are also top 24 on the ISU World Standings List.

How do you think our juniors did? ;)

Those were the medals & major international placements. Gunter & Wein & Gropman & Somerville also went to one event each on the JGP. Lewis & Bye went to another JGP event prior to the one in which they medaled. And Efimova & Petrov competed in the junior division at the Bavarian Open. I believe G&W and G&S also went to the NRW trophy.

Very impressive. Though to be fair, third at JGPF and especially seventh at Worlds is a big disappointment for McNamara/Carpenter considering they were the defending JW champs. Hopefully they have a solid debut senior season. Making 4CC is a good goal for both them and the Parsons. The other two teams likely to be fighting for the three 4CC spots are P/B and H/B.

Nathan13

Medalist
Very impressive. Though to be fair, third at JGPF and especially seventh at Worlds is a big disappointment for McNamara/Carpenter considering they were the defending JW champs. Hopefully they have a solid debut senior season. Making 4CC is a good goal for both them and the Parsons. The other two teams likely to be fighting for the three 4CC spots are P/B and H/B.

U.S. has a good shot at a podium sweep at 4CC with the likes of those teams.

chameleon

On the Ice
I'm fairly confident in America's chance for a podium sweep at 4CC, whoever ends up making the team. There are three former junior world champs battling it out for that team, and one of them might very well be bumped off by P/B. And by this time next year we may very well have a fourth junior world champ to join in the fray after the Olympics. Its truly a golden age for American ice dance.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
This is basically a miracle.

Gosh, yes! Seven teams deep at the senior level.

For twenty-two years, the U.S. did not have a Junior World Champion team in ice dance.

Today, we have three all moving up into seniors within this quadrennium. Miracle is absolutely the correct term. And a lot of hard work.

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
This is basically a miracle. I remember the days when US Ice Dancers were considered the joke of the entire event...

It's incredible!

This reminds me to light a candle for pairs.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm fairly confident in America's chance for a podium sweep at 4CC, whoever ends up making the team. There are three former junior world champs battling it out for that team, and one of them might very well be bumped off by P/B. And by this time next year we may very well have a fourth junior world champ to join in the fray after the Olympics. Its truly a golden age for American ice dance.

Oh, for the 2018 4CC? Definitely. That means such skaters would be unfortunately left out for the section for the Olympic and Worlds, but US dance teams will be so crowded with many up and coming talents. It will be as much fierce as Russian and Japanese ladies.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Transitions are hard. I expect bumpy roads and plenty of heartbreak along the way. But these junior teams have the speed. And they skate close. And they're different. It could be a great fight. This year. Or the next year. Or eight years down the road. Athletes from today's top three U.S. senior teams have been fighting it out since the U.S. finished 1st, 2nd, and 4th at Junior Worlds back in 2009.

Last edited:

chameleon

On the Ice
I'm almost more interested in seeing who makes the 4CC team and manages to win 4CC. Its normally a consolation prize, but this season a worthy team is going to be left off. I hope McNamara/Carpenter shake off this past season and go on the attack again. They absolutely have the skills to rebound, but the field is deep and they need to regain their consistency.

This season will be a big chance for the juniors. With M/C, Loboda/Drozd, and Parsons all aging out, there's a lot more room on the podiums, especially in the US. I'd tentatively put my money on Carreira/Ponomarenko, Lewis/Bye, and the Greens being the world team, but this is the summer to really make a push to improve and surprise in the fall. I look forward to seeing how things shake out in a more open field.