Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17

hanca

Record Breaker
Poluyanova-Korotkov, Foka-Kostarev, and Panfilova-Selkin have all split up. Poluyanova is now skating with Selkin.

OMG, I didn't expect Panfilova/Selkin. I thought they had some potential. Foka/Kostarev also had a good chance of getting JGP event, especially when Ivanova/Khakimov split up.

Surprisingly, we haven't heard about Gubanova/Sintsov splitting up yet. Considering how bad her jumps are, it would be kinder to give her a few more years in juniors to have time working on it. Surely they don't expect doing well in seniors?

Last edited:
Gubanova/Sintsov have also split up. So many junior pairs have split since the end of the season!
OMG, I didn't expect Panfilova/Selkin. I thought they had some potential. Foka/Kostarev also had a good chance of getting JGP event, especially when Ivanova/Khakimov split up.

Surprisingly, we haven't heard about Gubanova/Sintsov splitting up yet. Considering how bad her jumps are, it would be kinder to give her a few more years in juniors to have time working on it. Surely they don't expect doing well in seniors?

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, it is pretty certain that those splits will help some pairs get spot at JGP.

My guess is that those three pairs will definitely get two:
Amina Аtakhanova /Ilia Spiridonov
Anastasia Mishina / Vladislav Mirzoev
Ekaterina Borisova /Dmitriy Sopot

I think it is pretty likely that Alina Ustimkina /Nikita Volodin will also have two. Especially now when some of those who could have got one are no longer together.

I thought Elena Ivanova//Tagir Khakimov and Anastasia Poluyanova/Stepan Korotkov would get at least one, and if they do well they would get second one. So now when those pairs split up, suddenly those spots are available. (I think the weaker pairs may want to buy them a box of chocolates).

Then there were pairs - Maria Chuzhanova/Denis Mintsev and Daria Foka/Evgeni Kostarev, who did not compete at either of those two nationals, but definitely had better results than those unknown new pairs. So those in my view had a chance of getting one....but as Foka/Kostarev split up, that's another spot available. Unless Chuzhanova is going through puberty or either of them are injured, I think Chuzhanova/Mintsev have a chance of getting one, depending on the results of test skates. I was surprised that they didn't get one this last season, because they didn't do that bad the season before.

From newly eligible pairs, Albina Sokur/Roman Pleshkov seem to be the strongest. They have now pretty decent chance getting one (and if they do well, maybe even second one). (Panfilova/Selkin also looked promising but split up!)

Then there will be a big group of newly created pairs and pretty high chance that some of them could grab one spot. Some of them have a partner that is new to pairs and some of them may take longer to gel, but in the past there were pairs that competed at JGP in their first season together (e.g. Daria Beklemishcheva/Maxim Bobrov, Kamila Gainetdinova/Sergey Alekseev), so it can be done.

Anastasia Poluyanova/Maxim Selkin
Maria Vygalova/Vladislav Lysoy - will they compete? It will be his last eligible season.
Elizaveta Botiakova/Maxim Bobrov (I think she is new to pairs)
Elena Ivanova/ Nikita Rachmanin (he is new to pairs)
……………/Tagir Khakimov
Appollinnaria Panfilova/……………
Daria Foka/…………………
…………../Evgeni Kostarev
………… /Stepan Korotkov
Kamila Gainetdinova/.......... if she found a partner. This will be her last junior eligible season.

I don't think that those couples below are going to get a spot, unless they dramatically improve over the summer. They are relatively new to pairs (or at least were last season), so they may have potential, but I don't think they will be good enough yet.
Alexandra Polishchuk/ Alexandr Galyamov
Anastasia Melnikova/Alexander Simenenko
Maria Bogoslovskaya/Denis Khodkin
Lina Kudriavtseva/ Timofei Kuznetsov
Lyudmila Molchanova/Leo Sozonenko She is on icepartner search!

hanca

Record Breaker
Gubanova/Sintsov have also split up. So many junior pairs have split since the end of the season!

Wow, did something happen in Tiukova/Tiukov's group? It seems that except of Borisova/Sopot, everyone else has split up!

Tiukova/Tiukov's group from last season:
Borisova/Sopot - still together
Gubanova/Sintsov (split up, but it is understandable, he aged out and she is not ready for seniors)
Ivanova/Khakimov - split up, she left the group, Khakimov with whom???
Poluyanova/Korotkov - split up, now it is Poluyanova/Selkin, Korotkov with whom???
Panfilova/Selkin - split up, now it is Poluyanova/Selkin, Panfilova with whom???
Kudriavtseva/Kuznetsov - not sure if together or split up, but Kudriavtseva went to Pavlova's group. So maybe Kuznetsov is available, or maybe he went with her.

So that leaves us with Panfilova and Gubanova, who can be matched with Khakimov or Korotkov, or either of them could leave the group and go to skate with Kostarev (from Foka/Kostarev).

Tiukova could also invite Foka to skate with Khakimov or Korotkov. However, she needs to bear in mind that this will be last junior eligible season for Korotkov, whereas Panfilova has still 6 years of junior eligibility, so Korotkov may not be the best partner for her because in a year time they would have to split up again. Khakimov and Kostarev still have three years of junior eligibility, so they may be better for Panfilova.

Gubanova still has three years of junior eligibility. She probably won't be a good partner for Korotkov either because she will need more than a year to work on her jumps.

I wonder why Ivanova left the group and started skating with pair beginner. If she waited for a while, she would now have her pick of available partners.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
OMG, I didn't expect Panfilova/Selkin. I thought they had some potential.

I didn't. Well, he might have some potential but she doesn't because her jumps are just like Nastia Gubanova's.

Pair skating isn't all about jumps but one has to have a better jumps than she does before I can see any potential on the skater/pair. Nastia Gubanova did pretty well in juniors despite identical jumps with Panfilova but I never saw potential there either.

The Finn

Record Breaker

Any news about Elizaveta Zhuk / Egor Britkov?

I ask because I would like her to get a new partner because Egor is a very poor jumper. Zhuk could be very competitive skater when she becomes eligible for JGP but she needs a lot better partner.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I think it is pretty likely that Alina Ustimkina /Nikita Volodin will also have two. Especially now when some of those who could have got one are no longer together.

There is no way they are not getting two JGP events. Assuming they aren't having serious problems during summer they will be very competitive pair at the coming season. And I mean JGPF level competitive. If anaything they are moving up in the Russian rankings not down.

Then there were pairs - Maria Chuzhanova/Denis Mintsev and Daria Foka/Evgeni Kostarev, who did not compete at either of those two nationals, but definitely had better results than those unknown new pairs. So those in my view had a chance of getting one....but as Foka/Kostarev split up, that's another spot available. Unless Chuzhanova is going through puberty or either of them are injured, I think Chuzhanova/Mintsev have a chance of getting one, depending on the results of test skates. I was surprised that they didn't get one this last season, because they didn't do that bad the season before.

The reality is that Chuzhanova/Mintsev have never scored above 150 points in domestic competitions despite the fact that they have skated together for many seasons. In contrast some of the new pairs scored similar scores at their very first pair skating season. There is a huge difference in pairs potential here. Chuzhanova/Mintsev never really had it but some of the new pairs most definitely have a great potential.

From newly eligible pairs, Albina Sokur/Roman Pleshkov seem to be the strongest. They have now pretty decent chance getting one (and if they do well, maybe even second one). (Panfilova/Selkin also looked promising but split up!)

I would be surprised if they don't get two. Never saw any promise on Panfilova/Selkin due to her lack of jumping ability.

Then there will be a big group of newly created pairs and pretty high chance that some of them could grab one spot.

Anastasia Poluyanova/Maxim Selkin
Maria Vygalova/Vladislav Lysoy - will they compete? It will be his last eligible season.
Elizaveta Botiakova/Maxim Bobrov (I think she is new to pairs)
Elena Ivanova/ Nikita Rachmanin (he is new to pairs)
……………/Tagir Khakimov
Appollinnaria Panfilova/……………
Daria Foka/…………………
…………../Evgeni Kostarev
………… /Stepan Korotkov
Kamila Gainetdinova/.......... if she found a partner. This will be her last junior eligible season.

The only one that might get one JGP event is Poluianova/Selkin but then again some pairs can develop very quickly. Anyway, the highly promising new pairs like Kudryavtseva/Kuznetsov and Bogoslovskaya/Khodykin most defintely have the upper hand here but only if they will have a good and injury free summer.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I didn't. Well, he might have some potential but she doesn't because her jumps are just like Nastia Gubanova's.

Pair skating isn't all about jumps but one has to have a better jumps than she does before I can see any potential on the skater/pair. Nastia Gubanova did pretty well in juniors despite identical jumps with Panfilova but I never saw potential there either.

I wouldn't judge Panfilova's jumps from last season. She was only twelve, there was still time to fix it. If she manages to fix it in the future, she could be great. But maybe she needs different coaches than Tiukova-Tiukov, because all of their skaters have the same problems.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
The only one that might get one JGP event is Poluianova/Selkin but then again some pairs can develop very quickly. Anyway, the highly promising new pairs like Kudryavtseva/Kuznetsov and Bogoslovskaya/Khodykin most defintely have the upper hand here but only if they will have a good and injury free summer.
I don't think that one can say with certainty who from the newly created pairs will be good. For example, if Gainedtinova found a new partner and wanted to use her last year at junior level (supposing that he is still eligible), they would have a huge advantage over those other newly created pairs, because they could have been formed even let's say six months ago. So they might have had more time to work on it. Similarly, if Vigalova with her new partner spent time working on her jumps, we could see a completely new skater. A year out of competition can change skater a lot. We don't know what she has done within that year (training wise)- she could have been getting daily jumping lessons. All she needs is one or two triples, so it is not as if we want something unachievable.
Similarly, you seem to have written off skaters from those pairs who split up, but with the right partner, well one never knows. What about, let's say, Foka/Khakimov? How can you say with certainty that they wouldn't progress fast? Or Gubanova/Khakimov? Yes, Gubanova's jumps suck, but if she managed with her previous partner to get to JGPF, with the same bad jumps, she may manage it again. She won't be good enough to be in Russian junior top three, but she could definitely be good enough to get a JGP event.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
I wouldn't judge Panfilova's jumps from last season. She was only twelve, there was still time to fix it. If she manages to fix it in the future, she could be great. But maybe she needs different coaches than Tiukova-Tiukov, because all of their skaters have the same problems.

Sure but that is a big if and at the same time there are a lot skaters who already have good or even great jumps. I just see more potential on those who already have a pretty good jumps.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I don't think that one can say with certainty who from the newly created pairs will be good.

There are no certainties here. I just see more potential in some skaters than what I see in others but most definitely there are no certainties. For example I haven't mentioned Daria Lobova / Daniel Parkman even though Mozer thinks pretty highly of them. I don't think they will make it to the JGP this season since they haven't even competed yet but then again they are from Mozer's group and she thinks pretty highly of them, so, maybe they might. Still, I don't think they will but nobody can be certain of that.

hanca

Record Breaker
There are no certainties here. I just see more potential in some skaters than what I see in others but most definitely there are no certainties. For example I haven't mentioned Daria Lobova / Daniel Parkman even though Mozer thinks pretty highly of them. I don't think they will make it to the JGP this season since they haven't even competed yet but then again they are from Mozer's group and she thinks pretty highly of them, so, maybe they might. Still, I don't think they will but nobody can be certain of that.
A part of me wishes that Gubanova paired with let's say Khakimov and managed to gel quickly enough that they would get two events. Just to show you that she can, despite your predictions. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she will ever go anywhere in seniors unless she gets triples, and the chance of getting them is decreasing with every year. On the other hand, we are here making predictions on who will get a JGP event, not who will be the best Russian junior pair. Even though her jumps are bad, I can see her being good enough getting at least one JGP event. Jumps are important, but at the same time, they are just two elements within the FS. If her other elements will be very high quality, at junior level she may be able to make up the points on other elements. She won't be able to get away with bad jumps on senior level, but she did manage to qualify to junior worlds twice, and once place fourth!

hanca

Record Breaker
Interesting choice for the ladies (first JGP event). I would think there are ladies that deserve event more than Mikhailova and Zagitova. If they are not careful, they will run out of spots and some of the good ones won't be able to have two events.

The Finn

Record Breaker
The way I see it is that because JGP Russia is the 2nd event where pairs will compete that would be a great opportunity for Russian fed to field many new pairs in front of international judges. After seeing how they do they can give the best of those pairs a 2nd event. That is how I would do but knowing Russian fed they might not even know that they have the right to enter more than 3 pairs at that competition.

Russian Fed named only 3 pairs to their home event. Don't know if they even knew they could have named more pairs.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Currently named skaters.

JGP France
Men: Roman SAVOSIN (1st event), Ilia SKIRDA (1st)
Ladies: Anna TARUSINA (1st), Alina ZAGITOVA (1st)
Ice dance: Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV (1st), Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO (1st)

JGP Czech
Men: Dmitri ALIEV (1st), Roman SAVOSIN (2nd)
Ladies: Anastasiia GUBANOVA (1st), Alisa LOZKO (1st)
Pairs: Amina ATAKHANOVA / Ilia SPIRIDONOV (1st), Daria FOKA / Mihail DOMNIN (1st), Anastasia POLUIANOVA / Maksim SELKIN (1st)
Ice dance: Evgeniia LOPAREVA / Alexey KARPUSHOV (1st), Arina USHAKOVA / Maxim NEKRASOV (1st)

JGP Japan
Men: Alexey EROKHOV (1st), Artem KOVALEV (1st)
Ladies: Sofia SAMODUROVA (1st), Anna TARUSINA (2nd)
Ice dance: Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV (2nd), Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV (1st)

JGP Russia
Men: Petr GUMENNIK (1st), Alexander SAMARIN (1st), Ilia SKIRDA (2nd)
Ladies: Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA (1st), Alisa LOZKO (2nd), Elizaveta NUGUMANOVA (1st)
Pairs: Aleksandra BOIKOVA / Dmitrii KOZLOVSKII (1), Ekaterina BORISOVA / Dmitry SOPOT (1st), Anastasia MISHINA / Vladislav MIRZOEV (1st)
Ice dance: Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD (1st), Sofia SHEVCHENKO / Igor EREMENKO (2nd), Anastasia SKOPTCOVA / Kirill ALESHIN (1st)

There are 6 spots left.

In pairs Mishina/Mirzoev (2nd), Borisova/Sopot (2nd), Atakhanova/Spiridonov (2nd) and Ustimkina/Volodin (1st and 2nd) will take 5 spots, so, there are only one open spot left.

In Men Aliev (2nd), Samarin (2nd), Erokhov (2nd) and Gumennik (2nd) will take 4 spots, so, there are 2 more open spots left.

If Polina is OK to skate then the remaining spots will go to Fedichkina (1st and 2nd), Tsurskaya (1st and 2nd), Nugumanova (2nd) and Gubanova (2nd). If Polina can't skate then two more skaters can have a 2nd event, likely Konstantinova and Samodurova.

In ice dance Loboda/Drozd (2nd), Shpilevaya/Smirnov (2nd) and Skoptcova/Aleshin (2nd) will take 3 spots. Lopareva/Karpushov is also likely to get a 2nd event.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I wonder who Russia is going to send to EYOF this season. The eligible skaters must have been born between July 1, 2000 and June 30, 2002. A lot of top quality skaters would be eligible but obviously Russia isn't going to send their very best skaters.

So, who could Russia send?

Zagitova - If Zagitova doesn't have a huge breakthrough season she could be the one.
Mikhailova - She is at the national reserve team. I could definitely see that she is someone Russian Fed will consider.
Mitrofanova - She is good enough to win and she isn't going to get a JGP spot this season, so, maybe she will be send to this competition.
Kurakova - She too is good enough to win and she isn't going to get a JGP spot this season.

There aren't really that many options for the guys.
Petr Gumennik
Artem Kovalev

hanca

Record Breaker
I wonder who Russia is going to send to EYOF this season. The eligible skaters must have been born between July 1, 2000 and June 30, 2002. A lot of top quality skaters would be eligible but obviously Russia isn't going to send their very best skaters.

So, who could Russia send?

Zagitova - If Zagitova doesn't have a huge breakthrough season she could be the one.
Mikhailova - She is at the national reserve team. I could definitely see that she is someone Russian Fed will consider.
Mitrofanova - She is good enough to win and she isn't going to get a JGP spot this season, so, maybe she will be send to this competition.
Kurakova - She too is good enough to win and she isn't going to get a JGP spot this season.

There aren't really that many options for the guys.
Petr Gumennik
Artem Kovalev

Why just those you named? Why not Konstantinova, or Tsurskaya, or Feditchkina, or Lozko? Why do you think they will not want to send one of their better skaters? They can't send them all to junior worlds, so they may as well use the one who won't go to have an extra competition.

Last edited: