Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17 | Golden Skate

Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17

The Finn

Record Breaker
These are my personal predictions for Russian JGP team for season 2016-17.

Ladies
Polina Tsurskaya - 2 events
Alisa Fedichkina - 2 events
Elizaveta Nugumanova - 2 events
Alisa Lozko - 2 events
Stanislava Konstantinova - 2 events

Anna Tarusina - 1 or 2 events
Anastasia Gubanova - 1 or 2 events
Sofia Samodurova - 1 or 2 events

Men
Dmitri Aliev - 2 events
Alexei Erokhov - 2 events

Petr Gumennik - 1 or 2 events
Roman Savosin - 1 or 2 events
Ilya Skirda - 1 or 2 events

Pairs (Russia has unlimited amount of spots at Saransk, so, hopefully they will name minimum of 6 pairs at Saransk)
Anastasia Mishina / Vladislav Mirzoev - 2 events
Amina Atakhanova / Ilia Spiridonov - 2 events
Ekaterina Borisova / Dmitry Sopot - 2 events
Alina Ustimkina / Nikita Volodin - 2 events

Albina Sokur / Roman Pleshkov - 1 or 2 events
Lina Kudryavtseva / Timofei Kuznetsov - 1 or 2 events
Maria Bogoslovskaya / Denis Khodykin - 1 or 2 events
Alexandra Polishchuk / Alexander Gallyamov - 1 or 2 events
Anastasia Melnikova / Alexander Simenenko - 1 or 2 events

Ice dance
Alla Loboda / Pavel Drozd - 2 events
Anastasia Shpilevaya / Grigory Smirnov - 2 events
Anastasia Skoptsova / Kirill Aleshin - 2 events
Sofia Polishchuk / Alexander Vakhnov - 2 events
Sofia Shevchenko / Igor Eremenko - 2 events

Evgenia Lopareva / Alexei Karpushev - 1 or 2 events
Maria Marchenko / Egor Pozdnyakov - 1 or 2 events
Vitaliya Sokolova / Stanislav Novozhilov - 1 or 2 events
Varvara Chekmeneva / Daniel Ragimov - 1 or 2 events

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
I think Tarusina and Samodurova have better chance than Konstantinova. I think they may get two and Konstantinova may get just one. Unless all of them get one and the second spot will be given only those with the highest results.

And from pairs, I don't think some of those you named have any chance to get even one event. There is only 12 spots for pairs, the tops three pairs from nationals will definitely get two, Ustimkina-Volodin have a pretty good chance for two and Poluyanova-korotkov will get one. That leaves three spots... And there will be possibly some pairs that you didn't mention. Vygalova may start competing with her new partner (or not so new now), Bobrov again swapped partners, so we will see how good/bad his new partnership is. There were also pairs that didn't compete at the nationals because of injury and in the past they were relatively decent. Not brilliant, but better than some of those you mentioned. Foka-kostarev, Chuzhanova-Mintsev, Panfilova-Selkin (newly eligible)... I am willing to bet that the last three pairs you named won't get anything at all, not 1-2.

Last edited:

stryke

On the Ice
Ladies
Tsurskaya - 2 events
Fedichkina - 2 events
Nugumanova - 2 events
Lozko - 2 events
Samodurova - 2 events
Tarusina - 2 events

Sakhanovich - 1 event
Gubanova - 1 event
Konstantinova - 1 event

Men
Dmitri Aliev - 2 events

Petr Gumennik - 1 or 2 events

Is Gubanova in pairs no longer competing?

The Finn

Record Breaker
There is only 12 spots for pairs,

Just like I mentioned at the OP Russia has unlimited amount of spots for pairs at JGP Russia. It would be really stupid mistake made by Russia not to take full advantage of that fact.

I am willing to bet that the last three pairs you named won't get anything at all, not 1-2.

You can bet all you want. All of them were not only totally new pairs but totally new pair skaters last season. They were single skaters before last season. So, naturally their pair elements weren't great last season but one can do wonders with one full season of pair skating training which is what they have had when they will have their test skating events. Besides, I would rather see these new girls, who can jump, getting a JGP spot than some of the known girls who can't.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Is Gubanova in pairs no longer competing?

Her partner isn't eligible for juniors. I was kind of expecting them to split up because they have no future in seniors but as far as I know they are still paired up.

hanca

Record Breaker
Just like I mentioned at the OP Russia has unlimited amount of spots for pairs at JGP Russia. It would be really stupid mistake made by Russia not to take full advantage of that fact.

The question is whether they will want to make another Russian nationals out of the JGP event. Last year, if we don't count the Russian pairs, at the JGP events there were only as few as 5-6 pairs from other countries than Russia. So after Russia uses their three spots at the JGP in Russia, they will have to think carefully how many additional pairs they will let compete. My guess will be one or two (some of the weaker or new pairs), not more, because they will not want Russia to have there more competitors than the total of competitors from other countries.

The Finn

Record Breaker
The question is whether they will want to make another Russian nationals out of the JGP event. Last year, if we don't count the Russian pairs, at the JGP events there were only as few as 5-6 pairs from other countries than Russia. So after Russia uses their three spots at the JGP in Russia, they will have to think carefully how many additional pairs they will let compete. My guess will be one or two (some of the weaker or new pairs), not more, because they will not want Russia to have there more competitors than the total of competitors from other countries.

It makes no difference if there are fewer international teams than what there are Russian teams. And Russian Fed most definitely shouldn't punish Russian pairs for the fact that there may not be many international teams at that competition. I am pretty sure that there won't be many international pairs competing not only for geopolitical reasons but also because other federations know that due to the very high level (and possible high amount) of Russian pairs they will not be getting many points no matter who they send.

The way I see it is that because JGP Russia is the 2nd event where pairs will compete that would be a great opportunity for Russian fed to field many new pairs in front of international judges. After seeing how they do they can give the best of those pairs a 2nd event. That is how I would do but knowing Russian fed they might not even know that they have the right to enter more than 3 pairs at that competition.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Polina Tsurskaya - 2 events
Alisa Fedichkina - 2 events
Elizaveta Nugumanova - 2 events
Alisa Lozko - 2 events
Sofia Samodurova - 1 or 2 events
Anna Tarusina - 1 or 2 events

Anastasia Gubanova - 1 or 2 depending on her test skates
Stanislava Konstantinova - seniors ? or 1 event

voolfee

On the Ice
Ladies
Tsurskaya - 2 events
Gubanova - 2 events
Konstantinova - 2 events
Fedichkina - 2 events
Nugumanova - 2 events
Lozko - 2 events
Tarusina - 2 events
Samodurova - 1 event

Men
Dmitri Aliev - 2 events
Alexandr Samarin - 2 events
Petr Gumennik - 2 events
Georgiy Kunitsa - 1 or 2 events
Artem Kovalev - 1 or 2 events

The Finn

Record Breaker
Men
Dmitri Aliev - 2 events
Alexandr Samarin - 2 events
Petr Gumennik - 2 events
Georgiy Kunitsa - 1 or 2 events
Artem Kovalev - 1 or 2 events

Russia has only 1 entry per JGP event for Men. Although Russia will most likely get a lot more spots since it seems highly unlikely that Israel would use all their spots. Israel didn't use all their spots last year even though they had half the spots they have now and they had Samohin.

By the way, I think Samarin will most likely move to seniors.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Regarding Pairs, I think Duskova/Bidar or Oganesian/Bardei should not fear Russian Pairs. They should end up on podium and qualify for JGPF anyway. Even if there will be 6 Russian Pairs. I actually wish there would be, I love Pairs, the higher level, the better.

And I hope to see Konstantinova in some early event, her doing well, and Russia sending her to second one :)

The Finn

Record Breaker
Regarding Pairs, I think Duskova/Bidar or Oganesian/Bardei should not fear Russian Pairs. They should end up on podium and qualify for JGPF anyway. Even if there will be 6 Russian Pairs. I actually wish there would be, I love Pairs, the higher level, the better.

Duskova/Bidar will move to seniors.

Oganesian/Bardei will be at the JGP but I highly doubt that Ukraine will send them to Saransk.

The Finn

Record Breaker
You maybe right about Oganesian/Bardei, but not about Duskova/Bidar. They clearly said in this article they want to do JGP Series: http://www.goldenskate.com/2016/05/anna-duskova-martin-bidar/

I recall reading at this site that they were planning to move to seniors but apparently that wasn't the case. Anyway, Junior Worlds I can totally understand but I don't get why they still attend to the JGP. Makes no sense since they are at the level where they can fight evenly with the best non-Russian european senior pairs. Excluding one German pair.

Anyway, I am sure that if they indeed will attend to the JGP then naturally their 1st event will be their home event. I dobt that their 2nd event would be Saransk but rather JGP Germany or maybe JGP Estonia.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I recall reading at this site that they were planning to move to seniors but apparently that wasn't the case. Anyway, Junior Worlds I can totally understand but I don't get why they still attend to the JGP. Makes no sense since they are at the level where they can fight evenly with the best non-Russian european senior pairs. Excluding one German pair.

Anyway, I am sure that if they indeed will attend to the JGP then naturally their 1st event will be their home event. I dobt that their 2nd event would be Saransk but rather JGP Germany or maybe JGP Estonia.

I don't know why they don't move fully senior too. They would get two GP for sure, and as you said, they are on level high enough to compete with most of the Pairs. And they would make better money for sure, but it's their decision, maybe they are not ready yet? I agree they would do JGP in Czech Republic for sure, and you're probably right they would rather do Germany than Russia, it's way closer to them. But I think it would be epic if they competed in Saransk alog Russian Pairs :biggrin: I hope to see more Atakhanova/Spiridonov this season. I was disspaointed they didn't do well enough on Nationals to qualify to Junior Worlds.

The Finn

Record Breaker
I hope to see more Atakhanova/Spiridonov this season. I was disspaointed they didn't do well enough on Nationals to qualify to Junior Worlds.

They did qualify but she had an injury about a week before Junior Worlds and they couldn't go.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
They did qualify but she had an injury about a week before Junior Worlds and they couldn't go.
Sorry, my mistake. Russian juniors were plagued by injuries before and during JWC :(

The Finn

Record Breaker
Poluianova/Korotkov and Ivanova/Khakimov splitting up has created some space for new pairs to make their JGP debut this upcoming season.

Sokur/Pleshkov, assuming they are still skating together, have a great chance to get 2 JGP events.