Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Predictions for Russian JGP team 2016-17

The Finn

Record Breaker
Why just those you named? Why not Konstantinova, or Tsurskaya, or Feditchkina, or Lozko? Why do you think they will not want to send one of their better skaters? They can't send them all to junior worlds, so they may as well use the one who won't go to have an extra competition.

Because traditionally they haven't send their best girls to this competition. Last time they send Proklova who was a competitive skater but not a TOP skater. In 2013 they send Stavitskaia who also was a competitive skater but not a TOP skater. The same thing will happen this time also, so, no Tsurskaya or Fedickina.

The Finn

Record Breaker
Lots of JGP debutants this season.

Ladies (7): Zagitova, Tarusina, Gubanova, Lozko, Nugumanova, Konstantinova and Samodurova.
Men (5): Skirda, Savosin, Erokhov, Kovalev and Kunitsa. Savosin has skated at the JWC already but he has never skated at the JGP.
Pairs (3): Akhanteva/Kolesov, Boikova/Kozlovskii and Poluianova/Selkin. With her previous partner Poluianova skated at the JGPF last season.
Ice dance (3): Lopareva/Karpushov, Ushakova/Nekrasov and Kuts/Mikhailov

Changes in assignments are possible of course.

The Finn

Record Breaker
About ladies' assignments.

JGP France
Alina ZAGITOVA (1st), Anna Tarusina WD

JGP Czech
Ladies: Anastasiia GUBANOVA (1st), Alisa LOZKO (1st)

JGP Japan
Ladies: Alisa FEDICHKINA (1st), Sofia SAMODUROVA (1st)

JGP Russia
Ladies: Stanislava KONSTANTINOVA (1st), Alisa LOZKO (2nd), Elizaveta NUGUMANOVA (1st)

JGP Slovenia
Polina TSURSKAYA (1st), Alina ZAGITOVA (2nd)

At the moment it looks like Anna Tarusina is most likely injured and she won't make her JGP debut this season. And to be honest even if she would be fit to skate it really wouldn't make sense to give her a 2nd event now because she can't make it to the final and she would take a spot from someone who might if given a chance to skate a 2nd event.

So, obviously Alina will get a 2nd event but I highly doubt it will be the one where Polina will skate also. Assuming Polina is OK to skate at the 5th and 7th event then those are the ones where Alina will not be skating. I would expect that Gubanova, Nugumanova, Lozko, Fedichkina and Tsurskaya will also get a 2nd event. That would leave Konstantinova and Samodurova with one event only. However, as we have seen already a lot can happen between last season and this season which makes predicting pretty difficult.

Last edited:

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, Lozko should make sure she wins next week, otherwise she may find out that she is not going to the event in Russia.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Well, Lozko should make sure she wins next week, otherwise she may find out that she is not going to the event in Russia.

who is the other russian next week, Gubanova ?
I think Lozko has a chance, Gubanova wasnt that consistent at the end of last season, unless she regained her top form back.

The Finn

Record Breaker
who is the other russian next week, Gubanova ?
I think Lozko has a chance, Gubanova wasnt that consistent at the end of last season, unless she regained her top form back.

Yes, Nastia will be there. Both of Nastia's programs at test skate event were clean and based on the fact that she replaced Konstantinova at JGP Czech soon after the test skates would indicate that she was very good at the test skate event.

sneakers

Match Penalty
Yes, Nastia will be there. Both of Nastia's programs at test skate event were clean and based on the fact that she replaced Konstantinova at JGP Czech soon after the test skates would indicate that she was very good at the test skate event.

I hope she has regained her good form back, no doubt if she is clean she will score higher than Lozko,
Gubanova just really needed to fix those mule kick in some of her jumps. Her skating skills and speed is already nice.

hanca

Record Breaker
I didn't want to imply that I believe that Lozko is better than Gubanova. I think potentially either of them can beat the other one, depending on how they skate. Until last season Gubanova was clearly better and Lozko was an average skater, but last season Lozko stepped up and Gubanova started struggling, so now it can be either of them on the top. What I meant when I said that Lozko should make sure she wins, Russians can't give every skater two spots. Even if Mikhailova and Guliakova don't get any spot, there is still eight or nine skaters that will share the remaining 13 spots. So the strategy probably will be to give them one spot each and then the winners will get second spot. Lozko is booked for her second event, but if Gubanova beats her, I wouldn't be surprised if they sent Gubanova instead of Lozko.

sneakers

Match Penalty
I'm also excited for the dynamic Sofia Samodurova, she has the most stable technique amongst the Mishin girls. I think she can beat Fedichkina this season.

bosskil

Match Penalty
Hold your horses! :mad:

Aren't you forgetting someone? Last year placements of Stanislava "The Russian Amazon" Konstantinova:
2 (188.03)
1 (195.24)
1 (183.68)
1 (197.89)
8 (169.55)
1 (191.86) - Tallin Trophy (junior international)
1 (169.01) - Leo Scheu Memorial (junior international)
2 (174.94)
4 (168.04)
3 (175.75)
1 (173.38)

Only one event for girl with such resume and Olympic eligibility?! :roll5:

The Finn

Record Breaker
She didn't do very well at the test skating which hurt her chances a little. She will open her season next week and we will know more after seeing how she does. She definitely has her chanches but Alina Z has set pretty high standards for the rest of the girls.

hanca

Record Breaker
Tsurskaya, Feditchkina, Konstantinova, Lozko, Nugumanova, Gubanova, Samodurova and Zagitova. Eight ladies.

I am not counting Mikhailova and Guliakova, who were submitted by the Russian federation as substitutes for JGP. In my view they are not as good as the others I named, so I hope the federation won't waste the spots. I don't count Tarusine either, because it seems that her season (or at least first half of the season) is over.

Eight ladies and 13 spots left. Zagitova should definitely get second spot, so that's seven ladies left for 12 spots.
As I see it, the federation can either give six skaters two spots (and then one skat will be completely without), or five skaters two spots plus two skaters one spot.
Now, who is the one who would be left out? Or which two skaters should get only one spot?

The three skaters competing at JGP in Russia are disadvantaged. Even if all three of them skated clean and scored very, very high, there is only one first place and one second place, so logically one of them will finish third, even if she skated great. So that one probably won't get her second spot. And I am guessing one of those who place second in their first spot will not get their second spot either. That shows how important it is to win their first event. In the second one, they can afford to be second, but not in the first one. That's tough!

sneakers

Match Penalty
She didn't do very well at the test skating which hurt her chances a little. She will open her season next week and we will know more after seeing how she does. She definitely has her chanches but Alina Z has set pretty high standards for the rest of the girls.

who's skating with her next week ? Samodurova ?

sneakers

Match Penalty
The three skaters competing at JGP in Russia are disadvantaged. Even if all three of them skated clean and scored very, very high, there is only one first place and one second place, so logically one of them will finish third, even if she skated great. So that one probably won't get her second spot. And I am guessing one of those who place second in their first spot will not get their second spot either. That shows how important it is to win their first event. In the second one, they can afford to be second, but not in the first one. That's tough!

yes, bringing 3 high standard juniors in JGP Saransk , one might miss qualifying in JGP Final
hopefully the 3rd skater is lower tier like Mikhaylova or Guliakova

stryke

On the Ice
They wouldn't be sending Gubanova to the second event if she wasn't ready. We should see her in top form.

hanca

Record Breaker
yes, bringing 3 high standard juniors in JGP Saransk , one might miss qualifying in JGP Final
hopefully the 3rd skater is lower tier like Mikhaylova or Guliakova

I don't think Mikhailova or Guliakova get any event, otherwise too many of the high level skaters will end up with one event only, or someone from the very good skaters doesn't get any event at all. Russia can't afford to give an event to a lower level skater.

bosskil

Match Penalty
Yep, all what you're saying seems logical. Stasya must have had weak test skates... :(
Now she has to win over at least two of: Shiraiwa, Lozko and Nugumanova to get another event. Tough.

Last edited:

oleada

Record Breaker
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2016/jgpsladies.htm

Based off the standings, it looks like Fedickina and Nugumanova for the JGP EST. (for now, at least)

ETA: For pairs, Ustimkina/Volodin, Borisova/Sopot and Atakhonova/Spiridonov (talk about a loaded field, plus the Ukrainian team ); Gummenik & Aliev for men, Loboda/Drozd and Lopareva/Karpushov for dance.

Last edited:

The Finn

Record Breaker
http://www.isuresults.com/events/jgp2016/jgpsladies.htm

Based off the standings, it looks like Fedickina and Nugumanova for the JGP EST. (for now, at least)

ETA: For pairs, Ustimkina/Volodin, Borisova/Sopot and Atakhonova/Spiridonov (talk about a loaded field, plus the Ukrainian team ); Gummenik & Aliev for men, Loboda/Drozd and Lopareva/Karpushov for dance.

Not Lopareva/Karpushov but Skoptcova/Aleshin.