Iconic jump combination | Golden Skate

Iconic jump combination

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Since we have been talking about "Iconic costumes" lately I decided to talk about some other iconic elements in figure skating. Many skaters do common combinations like 2A+3T, 3Lz+3T, XXX+2T+2Lo etc., but there are some others who have their own combo pattern. For example,

Plushenko/Shoma - +1Lo+3F

Mao - +2Lo+2Lo, she did mostly with a 3F, but she also did with a 2A and 3Lo

Irina Slutskaya - +2Lo+1Lo+2S/3S, :shocked:

And i remember there was a skater who did a 4T+3T+3T and I am very sorry that I forget his name, could anyone remind me please?

And we try to avoid those jumps too far from now in the 70s where there were combos like 1A+1Lo+1/2Lo+1S+1Lo+1Lo... because that is basically freestyle jumping

Whoelse has a unique combo?

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Shoma - +1Lo+3F, he has done a 2A and a 3A with this pattern

No. This combination is NOT unique to Shoma. It was first done in competition by the King himself, ad-libbed into a free skate that was not going to plan, on Olympic ice, no less. And done with a triple Axel at the start, not a double!

Plushenko was also, of course, the mastermind of the 4T-3T-2Lo and 4T-3T-3Lo. There are none in the world to match his jumping prowess, before or since.

Last edited:
And i remember there was a skater who did a 4T+3T+3T and I am very sorry that I forget his name, could anyone remind me please?

Was it Kevin van der Perren?

The trouble with this combination is that now you face Zayak problems, having done two triple toes already.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Nothing can be compared with Boyang Jin's 4 lutz + 3 toe since none ever have challenged the iconic jump combination so far.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure how many others have done this combo because none come to mind but Maria Sotskova's 3f-1lo-3s gets her a ton of points. She does it in the second half too so I think the BV is like 11.20 pts or something like that.

https://youtu.be/meXadOQpIJ0?t=2m9s

Last edited:

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
No. This combination is NOT unique to Shoma. It was first done in competition by the King himself, ad-libbed into a free skate that was not going to plan, on Olympic ice, no less. And done with a triple Axel at the start, not a double!

Plushenko was also, of course, the mastermind of the 4T-3T-2Lo and 4T-3T-3Lo. There are none in the world to match his jumping prowess, before or since.

I have not seen Plushenko's Salk Lake FS before (maybe I have but have forgotten), thanks for the correction :)

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Yuzuru did a "3Lo+1Lo+3S" on the fly for the first time after missing the "1Lo+3S" on a 3A combo at Autumn Classic. I'm not sure whether this is a unique combo :think:
Well Slutskaya did not a three jump combination as Yuzuru did at Autumn Classic, but in competitiom she used to do what today should be called a "four jump combination", with the first jump and then a 2 Lo, then a half Lo and at the end the double or triple Salchow. At the time she was competing this combination was called a sequence because the half loop was considered as an euler and not as a true jumping element, and three jump sequence were allowed. I remember Carolina Kostner did a 2A-1/2Lo-2S-1Lo in Torino that was called as a sequence.
about Carolina, I think not many ladies do 3F-3T-2Lo combo as she was doing in the early years of her career. That surely is an iconic jumping combination for her if you see her entire career, surely not for the actual Caro.
I would call iconic the 3Lz-3Lo of Miki Ando too: a very tricky combination that many have tried but I think no ladies has ever had the consistency to complete this combo in competition Ando had in her career.

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Well Slutskaya did not a three jump combination as Yuzuru did at Autumn Classic, but in competitiom she used to do what today should be called a "four jump combination", with the first jump and then a 2 Lo, then a half Lo and at the end the double or triple Salchow.

Thank you for the explanation, I didn't realised it was a "four jump combination" :biggrin:

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Here's the EMPRESS doing 2A-1Lo-3Sal 30 years ago
https://youtu.be/T4oZ-Judbac?t=11

The current girls with eked out 1Lo-3Sal should get -2 to -3 most of the times. With flow and speed, it's a nice combo. Without flow and speed, it's just so sloppy. Like Sotskova and Pogo.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Kevin Reynolds is doing 4T-3T-3L in his programs but he is still not as in shape as he used to be so it should be more stable and fully rotated next year :) let's hope

kiches

Final Flight
While he's never done it in competition, I think Yuzuru's 4T-3A(-3A-3A) he used to do a lot in shows is pretty iconic. Also that 4Lo-3A he threw in during the end of 2015 WTT exhibition.

Now that I think about it, the spread eagle-3A/4S-spread eagle is something he's now known for, particularly this past season, although the transition in/out is what makes it amazing rather than the jump and it's not in combination.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I saw this combo in person at Worlds in 2001 and as a Maria B. fan. It scared the daylights out of me. Unfortunately for Irina, The rest of her program did not go well and she ended up losing to Michelle after defeating her throughout most of the 2000/2001 season.

3-Sal, 3-looop, Double Toe: Irina at Worlds 2001 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19hw2YT22e0

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How about Tara's 3Lo-3Lo? It was her staple, and it's still pretty rare (of course, this is due to the UR issues that have arisen with CoP). I think the majority of us would associate that combo with her.

It's also infamous because it attributed to her hip problems.

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
I'm not sure how many others have done this combo because none come to mind but Maria Sotskova's 3f-1lo-3s gets her a ton of points. She does it in the second half too so I think the BV is like 11.20 pts or something like that.

https://youtu.be/meXadOQpIJ0?t=2m9s

Javier Fernández has been doing that combination since the fall of 2012 - wonder if it has been used by others before? Plus he has that neat spread eagle entry into 3Lo (which he has also tried for a 4lo before) which saw daylight in 2011. I think I've seen other guys try and do it, but without success...

Add: Got curious and did a bit of checking - not too far into the history though - random checks before 2007... Google told me that Evan Lysacek did it in his junior career at least (2003 or so). Since Javi started doing that in 2012, Takahito Mura, Denis Ten and Max Aaron have at least tried it at some point. Plus some guys do the same combo, but with 2S.

E

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru did a "3Lo+1Lo+3S" on the fly for the first time after missing the "1Lo+3S" on a 3A combo at Autumn Classic. I'm not sure whether this is a unique combo :think:

Kailani Craine did this combination in her free skate at Four Continents this season.

gkelly

Record Breaker
IIRC, the first time I saw 3F+1Lo+3S was by Kristina Oblasova when she won 2001 Junior Worlds, but that performance is not online.

Would definitely include Jill Trenary's one-foot axel/triple salchow combination. I don't think I've ever seen another prominent skater do this combo.

https://youtu.be/-UojG3Bf3ng?t=39s

Definitely I first associate that combo with Trenary as being "iconic" for her.

A few other examples:

Michael Chack (good quality, with double toe)

Nicole Bobek

Krisztina Czako

I know I've seen it from Michael Slipchuk as well, but I couldn't find an example online.