Iconic jump combination | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Iconic jump combination

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
At the risk of incurring the wrath of those that would argue over the definition of the word "iconic" as per a previous thread, a jump combination that is iconic to me was Eric Millot's 3Lo3Lo. It was the first time I'd ever seen it done successfully and can't recall seeing it again until Tara's. I love it as a combination and I'm glad it is something to remember Eric for!

I remember his awesome tango LP!!!!:bow:

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
No it isn't, since he executed it better than anyone else up to that point in history. Nor was it "just another" since nobody but Plushenko had done it up until that point, only doing it with 3Axel and from the wrong edge, and the last time being 9 years prior.

It wasn't unplanned. That was always his ideal planned combination in a 2 Quad + 2 Triple Axel program, since it was the only way to legally do a Triple-Triple combo after having already used the Triple Toe in combination with the Quad.

Plushenko's plan to do it is why Yagudin started doing 3Axel+1Lo+3Sal. It was definitely very exciting and famous, though. Which is why it was such a let-down in 2013 when Alexander Johnson became the first person since Plushenko to do it, and actually did it from the correct edge, but received no additional points at all since the current scoring system doesn't reward especially difficult jump combinations and sometimes even punishes people for them (difficult jump combinations are harder to control and thus will likely get a lower GOE score).

Maybe I'm wrong but Lysacek had 3A-Lo-3F combination, too.

Plushenko could land in 4T-2lo, and in 4S in competition.. Probably if Yagudin didn't retire Plushenko used those jumps and combinations, but he did not have to use them because he was so far from the others technically..

Plushenko 3A-3t-3lo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3VXXcVhIRs&t=2m40s

Last edited:

gkelly

Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure that Plushenko did 3Lz+1Lo+3F in competition before he did the 1Lo+3F with the axel at the Olympics.

Probably 2001 NHK, but I can't find it online.

Obviously he had been practicing these kinds of combinations and didn't just decide to try it for the first time in the middle of a competitive program.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mao Asada's 3 axel-2 toeloop. not any other lady had done that.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Mao Asada's 3 axel-2 toeloop. not any other lady had done that.

Tonya had in SA 1991, And Midori in 1991, too. However, their styles are very different.
Ironically, when I think of Mao and her jumping combinations, her 3F+3Lo is the first that I think of. Idk if it's actually iconic or not, but I tend to think of that combination more so than her 3A combination (but if we were talking about solo jumps it would be the 3A).

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Half loop and 1Lo is the same thing.

and Elena Radionova and Anna Pogorilaya have been doing this combination at least a year before Ashley has been doing it. As impressive as it is it's not unique or iconic

No need to scold me about its not being unique or iconic. I responded to someone else's post, who listed the combo in this thread as Yuzuru's at (the last?) Autumn Classic.

I like Ashley's performance of this combination much better than Elena's or Anna's. There's the added fillip that she first put it in her program at the "advanced" age of 23. :luv17:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
It wasn't unplanned. That was always his ideal planned combination in a 2 Quad + 2 Triple Axel program, since it was the only way to legally do a Triple-Triple combo after having already used the Triple Toe in combination with the Quad.

My bad I was reading the thread from the beginning from karne's post on the first page. Point still stands, it's iconic because he did it first.

No need to scold me about its not being unique or iconic. I responded to someone else's post, who listed the combo in this thread as Yuzuru's at (the last?) Autumn Classic.

I like Ashley's performance of this combination much better than Elena's or Anna's. There's the added fillip that she first put it in her program at the "advanced" age of 23. :luv17:

I'm not scolding you? I never said that Elena or Anna's is better than Ashley's, just that this combination is actually moderately common and not really attributed to any skater.

Last edited:

KweenAsada

On the Ice
I always liked Irina Slutskaya's triple salchow/triple loop. As a Michelle Kwan rider, I can finally admit it. LOL!

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Among the ladies... Can anything beat Tara Lipinski 3Lo-3Lo? Well, a 3Lz-3Lz or even a 3F-3Lz definitely could. O,o

Could a skater actually have a 3F or a 3Lz as the end of a combination without a 1Lo? Because they would be landing on their right skate, which they need for the toepick. But I'm not a skater so I'm not sure :shrug:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Tonya had in SA 1991, And Midori in 1991, too. However, their styles are very different.
Ironically, when I think of Mao and her jumping combinations, her 3F+3Lo is the first that I think of. Idk if it's actually iconic or not, but I tend to think of that combination more so than her 3A combination (but if we were talking about solo jumps it would be the 3A).

I have never seen Midori skate in person. However, I have seen Tonya and Kristi Yamaguchi skate together at Skate America in 1991. I think because Tonya was such a big jumper that people forget that she was also a very good performer. Her music was a bit frightening but, she really did have a good feel for the music. Especially "Europa" the section before the ZZ Top ending. How you go from Robin Hood, to Europa, to ZZ Top, I'll never now.

Last edited:

pETEs (Sasha Fan)

Match Penalty
Could a skater actually have a 3F or a 3Lz as the end of a combination without a 1Lo? Because they would be landing on their right skate, which they need for the toepick. But I'm not a skater so I'm not sure :shrug:

Some time ago I watched a video on yt of a Lz-Lz, so I assume it is possible yet extremely difficult, because the skater should be "ambidextrous" and have the ability to make the first 3Lz in one direction and the second in the other. It is sort of a "fantasy combo", yet it'd be sensational to see it for real, since seems to be possible.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Spinning each jump in opposite directions maybe :bow:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No. A change of edge makes it a sequence and not a combo. The only way it could be done is if the skater can do 3Lz in both directions, but that would be extremely difficult. 3F would be impossible because it requires a change of edge.

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Spinning each jump in opposite directions maybe :bow:

Might not be such a wild idea! During practice sessions at worlds this year, Satoko was putting in a reasonable effort at a double flip in the opposite direction to her normal jumping direction. If she was ever able to steady that and put it in at the end of a triple lutz - THAT would be iconic! I'd love to see any bonus implications for the IJS of oppositely rotated jumps, especially in combination. Doesn't seem likely we'll see it but who would have guessed but a few years ago that the only quads we'd not have seen landed in competition as yet were the loop and the axel?
:confused2::shocked:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Hmm...I remember Tsurskaya doing a 3lz-1lo-3f but I can't seem to find a link to the video....

gkelly

Record Breaker
Might not be such a wild idea! During practice sessions at worlds this year, Satoko was putting in a reasonable effort at a double flip in the opposite direction to her normal jumping direction. If she was ever able to steady that and put it in at the end of a triple lutz - THAT would be iconic!

No, lutz can takeoff directly from the landing of another jump, in the opposite direction.

Flip would take off in the same direction as the first jump, but the skater would have to land the preceding jump on the back inside edge of the "wrong" foot -- or put a single loop landed on the back inside of the other foot, i.e., a half-loop, in between two multirevolution jumps.

I'd love to see any bonus implications for the IJS of oppositely rotated jumps, especially in combination.

My recommendation would be that the jump rotated in the opposite direction would get a bonus to the base value of 1.0 per revolution, or 0.5 per half revolution, to account for axels and downgraded jumps.

And for sequences with two multirev jumps that rotate opposite directions with other hops in between, the two highest value jumps get 80% base value plus the opposite-direction jump would get the reverse direction bonus.

Then it would be up to the tech panel to identify which jump was in the skater's bad direction. Might not be obvious especially if the reversing combination were the first jump element in the program.

I don't think we'd see this with two triples any time soon, but if there's enough of a bonus we might see single axels or doubles in the bad direction combined with a double axel or triple.

And then if it becomes popular, someday a naturally ambidextrous might manage to combine triples both ways.