Level 4 Layback without Biellmann | Golden Skate

Level 4 Layback without Biellmann

Binkie

Spectator
Hi! I've wondered recently if it was possible that you can get a level four on a layback WITHOUT a biellmann.
So far the combination for that I've seen is

-Difficult Entry
-8+ Rotations
-Difficult Variation
-Difficult Variation

If I could get some responses on if this is actually possible, other ways to get the level 4, and/or references, that would be great!

Thanks! :D

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmm, let me think...

- difficult entry - let's say an illusion, seems to be the popular one.
- 8 revs - speaks for itself really
- difficult variation 1: I'm pretty sure a change from side to back or vice versa is considered one of these
- difficult variation 2: increase in speed (ala Brooklee Han)

coucou84

On the Ice
My first reaction was Alaine Chartrand. I believe she's the only one doing a forward edge on her haircutter.
You can also get a level for going from sideways to layback or vice versa, but it needs to be a clear change.
So someone can do like Illusion entry, into a sideways spin, change to layback, grab their skate into a haircutter and hold it for 8 rotations.

twirlingblades

Medalist
When they added the 8+ revolution level, you can pretty easily do a level four layback as long as you have distinct positions.

vlaurend

Final Flight
1. Difficult entry
2. 8 revolutions in position
3. Change to sideways lean
4. Haircutter

Ideally, she could do 8 revolutions in haircutter position, which would be two features at once.
Or if she speeds up the spin during the 8 revolutions, that's also 2 features at once. I love how Helgesson does a change of edge at the end of hers to get the 4th feature! Brilliant!

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
Actually, it's really (almost) impossible to get 8 and clear increase of speed at the same time, at least consistently. To get 8 revs as a feature, you are not to change the position in any way (so no moving foot or arms) and clear increase of speed in a layback comes from pulling the arms in and (often times) the free leg down/in.

I do mine with the biellmann, but you could also do:
-Difficult Entry: Mine is an illusion but you could also do traveling turns.
-Side-to-Back
-Haircutter
-Hold a position for 8
Hope this helps!đź’—