Who are you in your skating dreams? | Golden Skate

Who are you in your skating dreams?

andromache

Record Breaker
Since I've been inspired by gkelly's choreographer/music post, I too have decided to stray into the realm of fiction for stuff we can discuss!

I don't know about everyone else, but as a kid who fantasized about being a champion figure skater (and couldn't afford lessons past Basic 7), I fantasized A LOT about who I'd be as a figure skater. A champion ladies skater, duh!

But seriously, those of us who aren't nationally/internationally competitive figure skaters, what if you were? What if you were the ideal age to be nationally/internationally competitive as a senior-level figure skater, had tons of talent and even the training to back it up...who would be as a skater? And think a little bit beyond everything positive about yourself or who you'd want to be--consider your weaknesses too, your personality. If you're not daring as all get-out, don't lie to yourself and say you'd be a pairs girl! Or if you're a total diva-man, don't say you'd be a pairs or ice dance guy!

What kind of skater would you be? What would you be known for? Known for choking at major events? For your total rock-solid consistency? An awesome jumper with terrible basics (or vice versa?) Think about who you are and how what makes you you would be expressed in the body of a champion skater, basically!

(This is kind of a weird post, I guess, but has the potential to be fun??)

As much as I fantasized about being a singles skater as a kid, I would be a terrible singles skater. The spotlight being on me and me alone makes me crazy anxious; plus, I don't have what it takes to be a gutsy pairs diva. So I'd be an ice dance lady! I think the lack of jumps would help me out (otherwise I'd be a MAJOR choker a la Gracie Gold.) Plus, I'm a perfectionist who doesn't mind doing repetitive, subtle stuff that other people usually call boring. So I think I would get a lot of satisfaction out of a perfectly well-executed pattern. Who needs triple jumps??

I do tend to struggle with my expressiveness, or with pasting a smile on my face and faking it when I should. That would be skating fans' biggest critique; but I'd be more successful with one of the rare diva-men like Cizeron, as he would take some of the pressure to give face off of me. Second biggest complaint from fans would be all the warhorses. I'm a sucker for warhorses.

And I'd be straight-up Meagan Duhamel in the K&C, super competitive and analyzing every little thing about the performance to make sure it's even better next time.

Oooooh, to make this even better, maybe we can play a game where the next poster tells the poster above them which skater they sound most like??? Sort of an organic "which figure skater are you?" personality test? Just an idea, to make this ridiculous discussion idea even more ridiculous!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
my heart would like to be patrick but i guess i'd be more like guillaume :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
I would be a singles skater, no question. I'm a bit of an attention hog, so the all-eyes-on-me factor of singles suits me.

A bit random, but as a musician, I audition well, so I think I would be pretty consistent. As a skater, I'm an okay jumper and a pretty good spinner but the thing I'm inexplicably great at is footwork, so I think that would be one of my strong points too. Layback spins have always been my one of my best elements, so I might be known for flexibility. And I am very dramatic (possibly too much so) when it comes to expression, so maybe that too?

If I could do triples :laugh: (lol, as if), I would probably be known for consistency, dramatic interpretation, a great layback, and my step sequences. So essentially, of the current field, I would probably be most like Satoko Miyahara. :agree:

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
stop pre-rotating ugh :laugh2:
I would be a singles skater, no question. I'm a bit of an attention hog, so the all-eyes-on-me factor of singles suits me.

A bit random, but as a musician, I audition well, so I think I would be pretty consistent. As a skater, I'm an okay jumper and a pretty good spinner but the thing I'm inexplicably great at is footwork, so I think that would be one of my strong points too. Layback spins have always been my one of my best elements, so I might be known for flexibility. And I am very dramatic (possibly too much so) when it comes to expression, so maybe that too?

If I could do triples :laugh: (lol, as if), I would probably be known for consistency, dramatic interpretation, a great layback, and my step sequences. So essentially, of the current field, I would probably be most like Satoko Miyahara. :agree:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I've never imagined of becoming an elite skater even in a dream because I'm too poor at any sport. :laugh:

If possible, I rather opt to become a famous choreographer capable of making programs to experimental music or a sport commentator used to be a mid or bottom tiered skater with a so-so competitive career but with a really nice voice vying enough with the British Eurosport commentators.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Who am I in my skating dreams???? It varies. First, I'm never a skater. I'm usually Married to either Maria Butyrskaya from Russia or Jennifer Robinson from Canada. Or, I'm coaching Patrick Chan or the recently retired Joshua Farris. That's literally it! Those are the only skating dreams I've ever had. As a singer, my dreams are usually about meeting Stevie Wonder whom I've never met. I had a recurring dream about Marrying Michael McDonald after meeting him in Santa Barbara when I was in High School.

He's dreamy you guys. His eyes are very Blue and he was the nicest, most humble famous person I'd ever met. I wish I could figure out how to make this picture a bit larger but, this will have to do. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=A16...a42b235b&w=141&h=209&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Who am I in my skating dreams???? It varies. First, I'm never a skater. I'm usually Married to either Maria Butyrskaya from Russia or Jennifer Robinson from Canada. Or, I'm coaching Patrick Chan or the recently retired Joshua Farris. That's literally it! Those are the only skating dreams I've ever had. As a singer, my dreams are usually about meeting Stevie Wonder whom I've never met. I had a recurring dream about Marrying Michael McDonald after meeting him in Santa Barbara when I was in High School.

He's dreamy you guys. His eyes are very Blue and he was the nicest, most humble famous person I'd ever met. I wish I could figure out how to make this picture a bit larger but, this will have to do. https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=A16...a42b235b&w=141&h=209&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0&r=0

Go into Google Images, and drag a copy of the photo into the search box. Then, when the results come up, click on "All sizes" beside the thumbnail.

Doing this, I was able to find a bigger version for you:

http://www.icelebsdb.com/CelebImages/4/39401/Images/Image_1.jpg

It's still not massive, but at least it's an improvement.

While in the search results, I noticed that this is the photo that IMDB use on Michael's page. So I went there, and they give the credit for who took the photo - Steve Granitz at WireImage. If you go to that site, you can find an even bigger version... but it's got a massive watermark across his mouth.

http://www.wireimage.co.uk/celebrit...19958,109519957,109519955,109519954,109519951

But, at least I tried.

That photo you linked to is from 2000. And I'm afraid that he doesn't look like that any more. He now looks more like an older version of a cross between Merrill Osmond and George Lucas. Which is ironic, because although he is a year older than Merrill, he is a lot younger than George.

Here is a photo of Michael taken in March:

http://www.wireimage.co.uk/celebrit...69450,516869446,516869444,516869436,516869432

But he was some singer/musician in his day! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a super-cool idea, Andromache. Congratulations! I don't have time to do it right now, but I'm looknig forward to later!

As much as I fantasized about being a singles skater as a kid, I would be a terrible singles skater. The spotlight being on me and me alone makes me crazy anxious; plus, I don't have what it takes to be a gutsy pairs diva. So I'd be an ice dance lady! I think the lack of jumps would help me out (otherwise I'd be a MAJOR choker a la Gracie Gold.) Plus, I'm a perfectionist who doesn't mind doing repetitive, subtle stuff that other people usually call boring. So I think I would get a lot of satisfaction out of a perfectly well-executed pattern. Who needs triple jumps??

I do tend to struggle with my expressiveness, or with pasting a smile on my face and faking it when I should. That would be skating fans' biggest critique; but I'd be more successful with one of the rare diva-men like Cizeron, as he would take some of the pressure to give face off of me. Second biggest complaint from fans would be all the warhorses. I'm a sucker for warhorses.

And I'd be straight-up Meagan Duhamel in the K&C, super competitive and analyzing every little thing about the performance to make sure it's even better next time.

Oooooh, to make this even better, maybe we can play a game where the next poster tells the poster above them which skater they sound most like??? Sort of an organic "which figure skater are you?" personality test? Just an idea, to make this ridiculous discussion idea even more ridiculous!

You would be .... TA DA! Meryl Davis, with your ability to portray a character: i.e. be someone else, not you, in your programs! and therefore ease the pressure. Meryl with a Meagan D. 'tude in K&C. :laugh: Charlie is your diva-man, a dream partner.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Go into Google Images, and drag a copy of the photo into the search box. Then, when the results come up, click on "All sizes" beside the thumbnail.

Doing this, I was able to find a bigger version for you:

http://www.icelebsdb.com/CelebImages/4/39401/Images/Image_1.jpg

It's still not massive, but at least it's an improvement.

While in the search results, I noticed that this is the photo that IMDB use on Michael's page. So I went there, and they give the credit for who took the photo - Steve Granitz at WireImage. If you go to that site, you can find an even bigger version... but it's got a massive watermark across his mouth.

http://www.wireimage.co.uk/celebrit...19958,109519957,109519955,109519954,109519951

But, at least I tried.

That photo you linked to is from 2000. And I'm afraid that he doesn't look like that any more. He now looks more like an older version of a cross between Merrill Osmond and George Lucas. Which is ironic, because although he is a year older than Merrill, he is a lot younger than George.

Here is a photo of Michael taken in March:

http://www.wireimage.co.uk/celebrit...69450,516869446,516869444,516869436,516869432

But he was some singer/musician in his day! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks CaroLiza,

That's definitely him and you're right. He looks exactly like George Lucas. I met him in the 80's when he was recording the song"Sweet Freedom". It didn't start out as a huge hit until it was selected for the "Running Scared" Movie Soundtrack. You can see the late Gregory Hines and Billy Crystal in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-xetxYwyak

By The way, have a listen to the theme song from the Movie. It could be good for Keegan whom, I'm still hoping will have a breakout season and make the podium at Nats.

Running Scared By Fee Waybill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmr1osDSeBg

Last edited:

desertskates

Medalist
Good topic :)
I would definitely be a singles lady, I could never forgive myself if my mistake caused someone else to miss out on achieving their goal.
I'm a big fan of warhorse music, and I'd want to be fierce and have attack like Ashley and Anna. But when I let my own skating creep into my head, I'm definitely a Li Zijun. Delicate, with very little attack. Technically solid, but not tearing it up on the performance side. Maybe a bit nervous, and always super sparkly!

Last edited:

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Good thread! Once ago I truly imagined a super-skater from Russia:) It was when Petushkova was a representative, if that's important. I thought of a blond girl with super spins and amazing jumps. So our thoughts are material:agree:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I would be a singles skater- I'm too introverted to want to be around someone else all the time.

I would hope to be like someone like Carolina Kostner and have great skating skills and artistry. Maybe the jumps wouldn't always be there and there would definitely be some meltdowns but the good moments would be great.

And hey, maybe it's hard to pre-rotate that 1Lz-1T but I'm pretty fantastic at under-rotating that stupid axel (when I actuall stand up on my attempts this far).

Layback11

Record Breaker
I would be a singles skater- I'm too introverted to want to be around someone else all the time.

I would hope to be like someone like Carolina Kostner and have great skating skills and artistry. Maybe the jumps wouldn't always be there and there would definitely be some meltdowns but the good moments would be great.

And hey, maybe it's hard to pre-rotate that 1Lz-1T but I'm pretty fantastic at under-rotating that stupid axel (when I actuall stand up on my attempts this far).

Same! Stupid axels...:no: Definitely not my favorite.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
In my dreams I am of course a consistent elite skater. :laugh: But given my love for famous pieces of classical music, I would most probably also be a skater that would skate to a different warhorse piece every year and make everyone in here groan in agony. :laugh:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Since I'm female but I have no interest in ice dance, & I hate the sexist attitudes toward singles ladies in general (obsession w/the superficial, rarely allowed to push the envelope), I guess...Aliona Savchenko.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'd be a pairs skater, I've always wanted to know what it feels like to do pairs lifts! How do they balance and change positions?! How does it feel to be thrown in the air?!

Also because I'm 5'10, and the last time I was under five feet tall I was probably nine years old. :laugh: Oh, to experience the world at a petite height!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Since I'm female but I have no interest in ice dance, & I hate the sexist attitudes toward singles ladies in general (obsession w/the superficial, rarely allowed to push the envelope), I guess...Aliona Savchenko.

I guess you must be very confident then and have no body fat so you could wear that pink panther outfit . LOL. We have to have fun.