Who are your favorite Russian skaters? | Golden Skate

Who are your favorite Russian skaters?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am grateful to mother Russia for so many skaters. Historically it seems the great Olympic Champions under the Soviet system are who I recall first being very mesmerized by Rodnina and Zaitsev who were the first I recall seeing and I think it was a world.championship? When the music went off and they still skated in perfect unison. They were so athletic, she was so powerful a skater.

After that I guess Katia and Sergei caught my eye at the Olympics where I was much more interested in the Brians. They were softer, more beautiful and what they became is still my idea of the perfect pair. I think most people might be most grateful to the system for this particular pair who will forever be young and beautiful.

One other pair I really enjoyed was the best pair I think Moskvina taught- Anton and Elena. I think Anton was so expressive -he was a good actor on the ice. And this two Golds Olympics was great because I think Sale and Pelletier were amazing and could compete with the best Russia had to offer.

There are other disciplines. Which skaters from this amazing culture have you loved the most?

Last edited:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Grishuk & Platov
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Alexei Yagudin
Miskutionok & Dimitriev
Marina Anissina
Adelina Sotnikova

annzee703

Rinkside
My favorite Russians are Mishkutenok & Dimitriev, and my current favorite: Nikita Katsalapov (he could skate alone as far as I'm concerned--love his style!)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
mine were /are

yagudin
mishkuteniok/dimitriev
usova/zhulin
kulik
slutskaya
kavaguti/smirnoff

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
Ladies: Slutskaya, Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva.
Men: Yagudin, Plushenko. Oh God, how could I have forgotten Ilia Kulik?!
Pairs: Gordeeva and Grinkov, Mishkutenok and Dimitriev, Stolbova and Klimov

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Anyone coached by Tamara Moskvina. They have something special that no other skaters, Russian or no, have ever had. Something that feels uniquely Russian but that only Moskvina can elicit.

Gordeeva/Grinkov, Yagudin, Plushenko. Plus, I really love Yulia, Evgenia, Adelina, Elena, and Anna. (Current ladies sans Liza. Sorry Liza, but you're just missing the intricacy to your skating that makes the rest of the Russian ladies so good). But I guess none of them belong on this list of all time faves juuuuust yet--well, except maybe for Adelina since she has OGM.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
All time would be Slutskaya.

Current- Anna P. When she is on, she's amazing.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Dance: currently, I love Ilinykh/Zhiganshin, Sinitsina/Katsalapov (yes, BOTH! :biggrin:), and Shpilevaya/Smirnov.

Pairs: I was a big fan of Volosozhar/Trankov during the Olympic season and right after that but...they've been kind of boring me lately. :slink: I like Tarasova/Morozov (GET THEM SOME GOOD PROGRAMS ALREADY! THEY ARE YOUR FUTURE) and Astakhova/Rogonov. And Stolbova/Klimov when they're on, but...that is not all that often. :slink:

Ladies: I really love a lot of them. Elena and Yulia are on my top-five list of favorites (yes, I keep a mental list :laugh:), but I also love Adelina and Maria, and Evgenia has grown on me a lot lately. In juniors, I adore Alisa Fedichkina :luv17: and Liza Nugumanova (she's so SMOL! :love:), and Polina Tsurskaya is growing on me (it seems that all the #TeamTutberidze skaters are, lol).

In the "Mysteriously Disappeared Due To Injuries On Which Little Was Released" category, I watched Alexandra Proklova's 2013-14 JGPF performances recently and I LOVED them. I'm so sad that she's gone AWOL :cry:. Anyone know if she is planning to come back to competition?

Men: uh...Adian Pitkeev?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Are you going to ask about favorite skaters of other countries that have produced more than one notable skater? :)

All-time level only. Although I have currently several favorites, I reserve my assessment on them until Pyeongchang or Beijing Olympics is over.

Yagudin, Abt
Mishkutenok/Dimitriev, Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze
Platov only
Slutskaya

mrrice

Record Breaker
I swear I've answered this question a thousand times and my answer remains the same.

Evgeni Plushenko and Maria Butyrskaya. It will never change. :bow:

If we're going by looks... Anton Sikharulidze and Alexander Abt :love: Maria wins all the catergories for me.

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina Rodnina. An unmatched competitive record. I cannot imagine it ever being repeated.

3 Olympic Gold Medals. 10 World Championships. 11 European Championships.

You simply could not tear your eyes away when she skated. While my favorite pair is still Protopopovs, Irina Rodnina (with two different partners) completely transformed the pairs discipline.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
Moiseeva/Minenkov they had the magic :love:
Usova /Zhulin
Klimova/Ponomarenko

Gordeeva/Grinkov
Mishkutenok/Dimitriev

Alexei Yagudin, Ilia Kulik, Ilia Klimkin
Irina Slutskaya

Now:
Kavaguti/Smirnov
Astakhova/ Rogonov
Dima Aliev- Hoping he stops being headcase

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalopov, when they skated together.
When I first saw them live, I was blown away by their speed across the ice and their presence, they were really something special, real stars, I couldn't get enough of them!

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Slutskaya
Plushenko
Gordeeva / Grinkov
Kavaguti / Smirnov (Yes, she's Japanese. But, they represent Russia)

Plushenko and Slutskaya were the first skaters that caught my eye in their respective categories. And the first that I supported. So, they will probably always be my favourites. (Don't worry, mrrice. I like Butyrskaya a lot too!)

That said, I like nearly all of the Russian Ladies skaters of recent years. There's only really one that I don't like and, although a lot of you will know already who that is, I'm not naming her here as I don't want to take this thread down that road.

I also like a lot of the Ice Dancers of recent years. Especially Elena Ilinykh (never mind selling the programme to us; she could sell snow to the Eskimos!) But, I am still realtively new to this category. So I don't know who my absolute favourite Russian Ice Dancers would be yet.

As for Pairs, I prefer the old style beautiful skating. Which is why I love Yuko and Sasha. And which is why I hope they can stay injury free and put up a good fight for a place in the team for Pyeongchang.

But, Katia and Sergei were something special. I may not have started watching Pairs skating until a good few years after Sergei's death, but with going back and watching videos of them. Wow!

CaroLiza_fan

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The big favourites have been so far:

Rodnina with both partners
Gordeeva & Grinkov
Urmanov
Kulik
Butirskaya
Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze
Anissina (with Peizerat)

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
Hmm, good question, since I like soooo many of them.

I think Evgeni Plushenko, because he is the person that really got me into figure skating, when I first witnessed him skating in the Eurovision Song Contest. :laugh: Ever since I have always rooted for him.
As for ladies, it has to be Elena Radionova, she just has the it factor for me and has been my favourite since she went senior last year. I remember that before and during Sochi Olympics, when I was a more regular follower of figure skating and Adelina Sotnikova was the next big thing in Russia, she was my favourite Russian lady. I still hope she can make it back to the top. ;)

Last edited:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Protopopovs
Irina Rodnina (amazing!)
Katia & Sergei
Ilia Kulik
Alexander Abt
Irina Slutskaya
Elena & Anton
Bechke & Petrov
Mishketnok & Dmitriev
Kazakova & Dmitriev
Klimova & Ponomorenko
Usova & Zhulin
Krylova & Ovsiannikov
Kavaguti & Smirnov
Mikhail Kolyada
Liza T.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The King himself, of course, Plushenko always.

And Artur, and Liza, and from the past, Ilia and Sasha, and for the future, Mikhail and Evgenia...