Ashley Wagner's coaching/choreography | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's coaching/choreography

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Re-watched Ashley's Oct. 2015 TSL interview yesterday. I was struck by several things she talked about for this season that she had a plan for and that, as we see in retrospect, worked well for her. She's so self-aware and smart!:love:

1. Ashley has always been an independent person, but she realized at 2015 Worlds ("in the exact same situation that I've found myself in so many times") that she needed to rely more on others to help her alleviate stress. She said in this interview, "I realized that I need to start letting other people help me out ... not just doing everything by myself because that's comfortable." Over the next season, she reached out to Adam when she had doubts (notably after GPF SP); and she trained before comps at the Olympic Ctr. in Colorado, where she could be an athlete 24/7.

2. Coach: Ashley always gives Rafael credit for improving her technique (and he gives her credit; he said once she was the first skater he'd taught who was willing to work so hard to change her technique in her twenties). But further, there's a clip where Raf asks her: "Why do you want to make me happy? .... You need to be happy for yourself .... I'm here to help you." He struck me as insightful and brave if not blunt. Also, it made me think about the unique student/coach situation in figure skating. The figure skater (or parent) hires the coach to be her/his boss! And it must be trickier because it's Ashley hiring him, not her parents. In hockey, for one example, the team mgmt. hires the coach so it's completely different.

3. Choreography: Ashley said that in the coming year (2015-16) she was making sure to meet with Shae-Lynne regularly so that Shae could vary the transitions in the program, to keep Ashley interested, and to make sure that Ashley kept at the transitions rather than sort of letting some of them go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=artNPmPC1u8

It's amazing how they had this interview, same sponsor with Puritans Pride as Ashley, went to her rink and got interviews, and they still had the nerve to throw her under the bus to the public with her injury right before Worlds. I'll never forget or give them any attention again.

ssffww

On the Ice
It's amazing how they had this interview, same sponsor with Puritans Pride as Ashley, went to her rink and got interviews, and they still had the nerve to throw her under the bus to the public with her injury right before Worlds. I'll never forget or give them any attention again.

I am a huge Ashley fan, but i don't feel reporting an athlete is injured, when it's the truth, is throwing them under the bus. It's a journalists job. I'm not sure why Ashley went out of her way to conceal it. She was quite open about it a the TCC.

Last edited:
Its a judged sport. None of the other sports-outlets reported it for a reason, they weren't given that info by Ashley's team of people. It was by eye-witness "insider-gossip" reports to them from people they know, that turned out to be true. Jenny knows the drill, judges are human and are even taking notes during practice sessions. There's a breach of trust there. It wasn't their place to do that, it was only done to gain themselves attention and push for Mirai to be on the team.

How did reporting that news benefit Ashley? (Puritans pride sponsored) in no way at all, whatsoever. And she still broke the medal drought, even with that distraction before the event.

Not cool no matter how it's argued. It's not about whether it was right info, it wasn't their place to do it and screw with how she's potentially judged before the event. The perception "she's not at her best" would've been there had her injury been made into a huge deal, for all we know the judges may have had that on their mind in the SP.. Her PCS should've been higher.

I don't think Ashley has given them the time of day since then, so that's all I need. It's not about the skaters best interests, it's all about getting attention and viewers.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I feel like Ashley is doing everything right to maximize her results, given her abilities. The jumps, especially the 3-3, don't come very naturally for her and she is somewhat limited in her artistic range. However, she fights for every landing and picks programs that showcase her strengths.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Its a judged sport. None of the other sports-outlets reported it for a reason, they weren't given that info by Ashley's team of people. It was by eye-witness "insider-gossip" reports to them from people they know, that turned out to be true. Jenny knows the drill, judges are human and are even taking notes during practice sessions. There's a breach of trust there. It wasn't their place to do that, it was only done to gain themselves attention and push for Mirai to be on the team.

How did reporting that news benefit Ashley? (Puritans pride sponsored) in no way at all, whatsoever. And she still broke the medal drought, even with that distraction before the event.

Not cool no matter how it's argued. It's not about whether it was right info, it wasn't their place to do it and screw with how she's potentially judged before the event. The perception "she's not at her best" would've been there had her injury been made into a huge deal, for all we know the judges may have had that on their mind in the SP.. Her PCS should've been higher.

I don't think Ashley has given them the time of day since then, so that's all I need. It's not about the skaters best interests, it's all about getting attention and viewers.

You're right. I wish J/D would stick with just the interviews, since they're good at that. The gossip, innuendo, etc. is stupid but not harmless.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel like Ashley is doing everything right to maximize her results, given her abilities. The jumps, especially the 3-3, don't come very naturally for her and she is somewhat limited in her artistic range. However, she fights for every landing and picks programs that showcase her strengths.

Ashley's a natural performer. She has, in spades, the ability to convey emotion to the audience through music, movement, and expressiveness. That's her forte, and that's also what makes figure skating a beautiful, affecting sport. Not just a difficult sport.

ssffww

On the Ice

That makes a lot of sense. Hadn't thought about the fact that it was based upon observations at practice.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley's a natural performer. She has, in spades, the ability to convey emotion to the audience through music, movement, and expressiveness. That's her forte, and that's also what makes figure skating a beautiful, affecting sport. Not just a difficult sport.

I find her extroverted but her movement seems a bit robotic at times. She also visibly pumps herself up before some of the difficult jumps, and I find that a bit distracting. However, her programs don't require subtlety so that's why I think they play to her strengths. She doesn't try to be something she's not.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I find her extroverted but her movement seems a bit robotic at times. She also visibly pumps herself up before some of the difficult jumps, and I find that a bit distracting. However, her programs don't require subtlety so that's why I think they play to her strengths. She doesn't try to be something she's not.

I completely agree with this comment. I wish Frank would take a lesson from Ashely's playbook when it comes to giving Gracie characters that she can portray in a more natural and relaxed fashion.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I completely agree with this comment. I wish Frank would take a lesson from Ashely's playbook when it comes to giving Gracie characters that she can portray in a more natural and relaxed fashion.

Ashley had to be assertive to get the choices and choreography that would both challenge her and suit her personality. She went through some struggles in that regard.

I can see Gracie being able to be open with Lori about what she wants. Hey, maybe it already happened for these next programs.

I'm excited to see Ashley's programs, her LP choice to "Exogenesis" isn't the kind of theme I was expecting her to do (and honestly that's a good thing, it'll be a fresh and unexpected look for her). Any mention of her SP yet?

It's amazing to think that the season is already almost here! (Woohoo) Japan Open can't come soon enough

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ashley had to be assertive to get the choices and choreography that would both challenge her and suit her personality. She went through some struggles in that regard.

I can see Gracie being able to be open with Lori about what she wants. Hey, maybe it already happened for these next programs.

I hope you're right, I really do. With josh's recent retirement, I really need to my gal Gracie to finish the job that she got halfway done last year.

noskates

Record Breaker
I like Ashley more when she isn't trying to be some sex kitten. And I agree that she does look a little robotic at times and I've always chalked that up to her intense training and maybe an inability to feel free on the ice. I think she was able to accomplish that at Worlds this year and....look at the results. She was wise to seek help with her tension and nerves because they've usually shown up in her performances. I think Shae-Lynn will probably be an excellent choreographer for her. Can't wait to see her new performances.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I like Ashley more when she isn't trying to be some sex kitten. And I agree that she does look a little robotic at times and I've always chalked that up to her intense training and maybe an inability to feel free on the ice. I think she was able to accomplish that at Worlds this year and....look at the results. She was wise to seek help with her tension and nerves because they've usually shown up in her performances. I think Shae-Lynn will probably be an excellent choreographer for her. Can't wait to see her new performances.

You may be on to something there. Perhaps having to do all these difficult jump combinations is a burden on her. They certainly don't come as easy for her as they do for most of the top other women, and I'm sure the 3-3 sequence and late lutz are on her mind the entire long program. However, knowing how much she struggles with the combos made her worlds performances all the more satisfying to watch.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am a huge Ashley fan, but i don't feel reporting an athlete is injured, when it's the truth, is throwing them under the bus. It's a journalists job. I'm not sure why Ashley went out of her way to conceal it. She was quite open about it a the TCC.

Are we referring to the injury Ashley sustained while performing at the Skate Niagara ice show in late February?

andromache

Record Breaker

Weren't you involved in making videos for TSL not too long ago? Something here seems a little like something personal.

Anyway. TSL had a brief Ashley interview at Worlds, IIRC. And she won a silver medal, so I think everyone won!

There are bits of gossip and rumors that go around in literally every sport. Just because skating is pretty doesn't mean it should be a on a pedestal. Athletes keep things quiet, those things get out because people want to talk about them. :confused2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I haven't listened to the video yet, but when she retires from competition after 2018, I hope to see her interview about her past coaches and choreographers including John Nicks and Phillip Mills. That would be interesting. :)

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't listened to the video yet, but when she retires from competition after 2018, I hope to see her interview about her past coaches and choreographers including John Nicks and Phillip Mills. That would be interesting. :)

Ashley talks about them both at length in her 2-part TSL interview in summer of 2013. As usual, she is honest about her own feelings while also praising them both and thanking them for all they did for her. Sorry I can't get the link for you right now. I watched it again a couple days ago, it's worth the time.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ashley talks about them both at length in her 2-part TSL interview in summer of 2013. As usual, she is honest about her own feelings while also praising them both and thanking them for all they did for her. Sorry I can't get the link for you right now. I watched it again a couple days ago, it's worth the time.

Thanks, I'll look into the 2013 interview as well. :)