New beginnings for Russia’s Maria Sotskova | Golden Skate

New beginnings for Russia’s Maria Sotskova

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For World Junior silver medalist Maria Sotskova of Russia, the 2016-17 season means a lot of new beginnings. Not only is the skater moving up to the senior ranks, but has changed coaches. Previously coached by Svetlana Panova, the skater, unhappy with the training situation at the rink near her home, turned to Elena Vodorezova and now trains in the famous CSKA Moscow club.

More

Sotskova describes her character as “stubborn.”

“I’m always getting what I want,” admitted the four-time Russian national junior medalist. “Even if it doesn’t work out right away, I will continue to work on it to make it happen. I’m not prepared to give up.”

Sotskova has been assigned to Trophee Bompard in Paris, France, and to NHK Trophy in Sapporo, Japan, for her debut on the senior Grand Prix of Figure Skating.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I love this girl. I feel she could be a dark horse amongst the Russian ladies leading up to the olympics.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I really liked her since her first year in JGP. Although she is not the top favourite among current Russian ladies, she has already accomplished a lot. Being so tall and keeping her jumps working, mental toughness... If she didn't grow so much, she would have shown more power in her ss.

boskil

Match Penalty
I like her skating and just LOVE her personality: very communicative and thoughtful in interviews, ambitious and down to earth, at same time always smiling, kind and welcoming.
But, man! She is getting really tall! Have obviously nothing against next Russian supermodel on skates (hi Lena:love:), but some of those jumps were already scratchy this season... :scratch2:
https://pp.vk.me/c633423/v633423212/2f0d4/r4bURkbANQg.jpg

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, Tsurskaya is tall too and it didn't harm her jumps last season. We will have to wait and see.

euroskate

Final Flight
I like her skating and just LOVE her personality: very communicative and thoughtful in interviews, ambitious and down to earth, at same time always smiling, kind and welcoming.
But, man! She is getting really tall! Have obviously nothing against next Russian supermodel on skates (hi Lena:love:), but some of those jumps were already scratchy this season... :scratch2:
https://pp.vk.me/c633423/v633423212/2f0d4/r4bURkbANQg.jpg

this Picture is missleading. Patrick is rather small and she is wearing high heels.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
According to their ISU bios, both Maria and Patrick are 5 foot 7, so they're the same height. Difference is, Patrick is done growing, whereas Maria still has time left to gain a few more inches. :yes:

Interestingly enough, that means Maria is taller than Polina T. Who knew?

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Maria is 16 years old and I think she will not grow much taller than her current height.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tsurskaya hasn't gone all the way through puberty yet. There are changes to come that could be more disruptive than height.