2016 Rio: Opening ceremonies | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2016 Rio: Opening ceremonies

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And while I'm on a rant about NBC's personality driven coverage... what EXACTLY do they expect Johnny and Tara to bring to their coverage? ...

Per NBC :):
"Lipinski and Weir will work together on NBC’s coverage of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, as they explore the rich culture, sights, sounds and, of course, fashion, of Rio."
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...the-xxxi-olympiad-from-rio-de-janeiro-brazil/

... Do either of them have some hidden sports insights into summer sports that I don't know about? ...

You are among those who are completely missing the point of their role for NBC in Rio.

They are figure skating analysts because they have expertise in figure skating.
In Rio, they will not be analysts of any summer sports. I myself do not plan to go out of my way to see content from Tara and Johnny, but there is no reason to complain about their lack of expertise in summer sports.

BTW, for anyone wondering about Tanith White:
For Rio coverage, she will be based in Stamford, Conn., as a host for NBC Sports Digital.​

ETA:
"Tracy Wilson returns to NBC Sports Group’s Olympic coverage as a rugby and sportsdesk reporter for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games."
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/bio/tracy-wilson-2/ (Yes, the ice dancer Tracy Wilson.)​
[Her role for rugby is reporter -- not to be confused with play-by-play or analyst.]​

Last edited:

Naya

On the Ice
i missed the argentinian booing... CBC went on break right before...

It was a discreet booing, followed by applause. The same happened with Russia. By coincidence Argentina and Russia's flag bearers were very tall dudes and both olympic champions - basketball player Luis Scola and volleyball player Sergey Tetyukhin.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i heard the russian one but i am so tired of talking about it that i omitted it ... the big one was from Temer, the interim president... that was awkward....
It was a discreet booing, followed by applause. The same happened with Russia. By coincidence Argentina and Russia's flag bearers were very tall dudes and both olympic champions - basketball player Luis Scola and volleyball player Sergey Tetyukhin.

alebi

Medalist
What, no comment about Tonga's flagbearer in this thread? :love:

noteworthy!

I liked this Ceremony. For once it was not about the power, the grandeur of the hosting country but it was about something belonging to all of us: the defence of the Earth, the nature. A simple message but so much inspiring. And the Olympic cauldron is a spectacular reminder of the sun. Truly beautiful!

On a more frivolous note, I liked traditional/exotic dresses like Cameroon, Burundi, Cook Islands and many Oceanian countries have worn! Aww and Ghana!! All those beautiful fabrics *__* LOVE LOVE

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I liked the ceremonies a lot. A good mix between history, culture and politics presented in a clever way. Both fun and thought-provoking. And what a nice way to present the national anthem: a man with a guitar and a chorus of all ages. Lovely song.

Good idea to draw attention to global warming. Frightening maps showing how coasts and cities are threatened by melting ice. Rio among the cities.

Colorful tricycles and children with plants as a nice start to each nation. 206 nations + one independent group with 10 refugees from South Sudan, Syria, Kongo-Kinshasa and Ethiopia, representing 65 million escaping humans. 11 000 athletes participating in the games. Each one planting a seed. 207 sorts of seeds to grow in 'the athletes forrest’ in Deodoro :)

What, no comment about Tonga's flagbearer in this thread? :love:
:laugh:

Marta would have been a nice choice, as it would have shown how far Women's Football has come on in people's conscious. And would have been a brilliant way of recognising all she has achieved in the sport. But it was never going to happen.

The second match for Brazil's women's footballers is only about 24 hours after the Opening Ceremony. And it's against Sweden. So, they need all their players to be on the ball. In fact, I would say none of the women's footballers (from any team) were even allowed to go to the Opening Ceremony.
CaroLiza_fan

Of course you are right. Would just have been so cool.
ETA WOW and there she was carrying the olympic flag :hap85: Marta :luv17:

Hmm US athletes look like they're wearing the Russian flag.

LOL, and the Russian athletes wearing the US flag’s stripes :biggrin:

Last edited:

padme21

On the Ice
The opening ceremony would have been great if NBC hadn't ruined it with the terrible coverage!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I liked this Ceremony. For once it was not about the power, the grandeur of the hosting country but it was about something belonging to all of us: the defence of the Earth, the nature. A simple message but so much inspiring. And the Olympic cauldron is a spectacular reminder of the sun. Truly beautiful!

Very well said and I couldn't agree more.

statmam

On the Ice
The Olympic spirit personified: the martial arts athlete who switched to archery after an accident left her partially paralyzed. Wow...

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Per NBC :):
"Lipinski and Weir will work together on NBC’s coverage of the 2016 Rio Olympic Games, as they explore the rich culture, sights, sounds and, of course, fashion, of Rio."
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...the-xxxi-olympiad-from-rio-de-janeiro-brazil/

You are among those who are completely missing the point of their role for NBC in Rio.

They are figure skating analysts because they have expertise in figure skating.
In Rio, they will not be analysts of any summer sports. I myself do not plan to go out of my way to see content from Tara and Johnny, but there is no reason to complain about their lack of expertise in summer sports.

BTW, for anyone wondering about Tanith White:
For Rio coverage, she will be based in Stamford, Conn., as a host for NBC Sports Digital.​

ETA:
"Tracy Wilson returns to NBC Sports Group’s Olympic coverage as a rugby and sportsdesk reporter for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games."
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/bio/tracy-wilson-2/ (Yes, the ice dancer Tracy Wilson.)​
[Her role for rugby is reporter -- not to be confused with play-by-play or analyst.]​

I have plenty of reason to complain. Every second of television coverage wasted on Johnny and Tara will be time not spent covering the actual Olympic Games.

NBC really sucks. However, the good news is that I think I've learned how to get BBC coverage, and my understanding is that they don't do nearly as much fluff. NBC is essentially non-stop fluff with a little bit of sports tossed in for flavor.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have plenty of reason to complain. Every second of television coverage wasted on Johnny and Tara will be time not spent covering the actual Olympic Games. ...

If of any interest/"consolation" ;), NBC is live streaming "all competition sessions across all 34 sports — for authenticated pay TV subscribers via TV Everywhere." A total of 4,500 streaming hours.
"For the first time, NBC Olympics will stream the coverage of all nine NBCUniversal Olympic networks ....
If a competition event is not televised by one of the nine networks, every second of competition will once again be streamed online through NBC Olympics’ utilization of the feeds provided by the host broadcaster, Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS). Many of the feeds will include both English- and Spanish-language commentary."

Not every person in the U.S. is a pay TV subscriber. I am not.
But I give NBC credit that its streaming is exhaustive for the vast numbers who are.

BTW, more about Tanith's role in NBC's digital programming:
Gold Zone, which returns for its third Olympics, will again deliver the ultimate lean-back experience. Hosts Andrew Siciliano, host of NFL Red Zone, and Tanith White, a 2006 Olympic silver medalist in Ice Dancing, will guide viewers to the best live action happening at a given moment, from a U.S. judoka fighting for gold to an overtime thriller in basketball, and all venues in between.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If of any interest/"consolation" ;), NBC is live streaming "all competition sessions across all 34 sports — for authenticated pay TV subscribers via TV Everywhere." A total of 4,500 streaming hours.
"For the first time, NBC Olympics will stream the coverage of all nine NBCUniversal Olympic networks ....
If a competition event is not televised by one of the nine networks, every second of competition will once again be streamed online through NBC Olympics’ utilization of the feeds provided by the host broadcaster, Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS). Many of the feeds will include both English- and Spanish-language commentary."

Not every person in the U.S. is a pay TV subscriber. I am not.
But I give NBC credit that its streaming is exhaustive for the vast numbers who are.

BTW, more about Tanith's role in NBC's digital programming:
Gold Zone, which returns for its third Olympics, will again deliver the ultimate lean-back experience. Hosts Andrew Siciliano, host of NFL Red Zone, and Tanith White, a 2006 Olympic silver medalist in Ice Dancing, will guide viewers to the best live action happening at a given moment, from a U.S. judoka fighting for gold to an overtime thriller in basketball, and all venues in between.

That was a tremendous help! My ability to stream BBC is limited. However, the NBC sports app is on my Roku, and I got it set up this morning.

I can now livestream events, go back to events I've missed, look ahead to upcoming events... all without the fluff. I watched the US Men's gymnastics qualfication, and it was excellent. Interrupted only briefly every now and then with a Coke commercial, and then right back to knowledgeable commentary and viewing. The commentators were three people who knew what they were talking about.

If you're a fluff fan, they also have the fluff provided, and you can click it to your heart's desire.