2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating | Golden Skate

2016-17 State of Canadian Ladies Skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
what do you guys expect to see for the 16/17 season from the canadian ladies?

This is an interesting question. What I think and What I hope are two different things. I'd love to see kaetlyn Osmond regain her form and her Title. However, I really like the way that Gabby Daleman performed at Worlds this year and believe that she will win nationals. if Alaine Chartrand can get her Triple Axel working, they could all be a factor anywhere they go. I really like all 3 of these Ladies and my biggest hope is that they skate well when it counts.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
A fascinating, if wildly unpredictable, question!

Kaetlyn Osmond and Alaine Chartrand have both had excellent outings at summer competition; conversely, though, Alaine bombed her other event spectacularly. We've yet to see Gabby Daleman. Veronik Mallet isn't looking too great; Kim Decelles is in pretty good form.

On the junior side: I'm liking Emily Bausback and Aurora Cotop a lot-both have potential, although their content could use upping (not sure if Cotop does all triples, although her 2A-3T is a stunner, and Bausback doesn't have a 3-3 in the SP). They both have very strong presentation. Olivia Gran is quite promising as well. Megan Yim is a lovely skater, but wildly inconsistent.

Who knows how it'll all shake out...:popcorn:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks for making this thread!

The Decelles twins have had strong performances this summer under the guidance of Yvan Desjardins. I expect them to improve.

Kaetlyn's SP was ok at Wildrose (overmarked IMO, that PCS...), but that FS was tough to see. She is going to have to get to the point where her triples are happening consistently. And she needs a 3-3 in the SP.

Alaine was terrible in Philly, then quite alright at Minto. If she gets those kinds of results internationally she could potentially finish top 10 at Worlds. Her biggest issue is consistency, from what I understand. She can be brilliant, like at Canadian Nationals 2016, or head case, like the FS at Rostelecom 2015. Also, I worry about the travelling she does. A little less nomadism would give her body a rest and help her put down some roots. At least, maybe for the Olympic season she can try it out. Her main coaches are in the GTA, after all.

Gabby is going to be interesting. She's been working on a Rippon 3Lz-3T. If she can get that in her programs and have some strong skates then I see Gabby as the lady in the team event at the Olympics. The one thing that concerns me is the arthritis she's developed. I feel for her, and hope she can hang on for 2 seasons injury-free.

The junior ladies can be great or terrible so I can't say. The BC girls are the obvious leaders of the pack, but I wouldn't count out Aurora. She gets some beautiful height on her jumps. I think she needs to develop a bit more though.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nothing to add to Mango's post from me ;) says it all...

i don't think Alaine is putting the 3A in her programs anymore... from looking at protocols, it wasn't there... any words on this?

I love Kaetlyn but not sure about puccini for her... and I don't know why she doubled almost all her jumps... Gabby impressed me a lot at worlds. I didn't expect her to stick around so well with the other top ten ladies... I would have even placed her a couple ranks higher....

So... who is ready for another crazy nationals?

withwings

On the Ice
Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that Kaetlyn has to change her training environment, she has to train together with other top level skaters. I am sure her coach is great but, perhaps, something is missing. Just my humble opinion.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
perhaps... you are right... i don't know... what really surprised me with Kaetlyn this year is her choice of music for the SP... Piaf? again? and I am not sure what to think about the LP packaging yet... no idea...
Perhaps I am wrong, but it seems to me that Kaetlyn has to change her training environment, she has to train together with other top level skaters. I am sure her coach is great but, perhaps, something is missing. Just my humble opinion.

this being said, gosh i hope she has a great season! She is such a wonderful skater!

Skatergal101

On the Ice
I did not know Gabby had arthritis, wow!
It's going to be an interesting year for sure - IMO Osmond can be the best of the 3, her skating is just so much more than Alaine and Gabby, but we shall see I guess!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Gabby was the most consistent last season. If she can keep the momentum going with more clean programs in a row, I can see her getting her national title back.

However, if it's true that Alaine is ditching the 3A, I'm hoping for a better season than last year from her as well. The 3A really got to her head and it seemed to become a "do or die" situation every long program where she's focus so much on landing the 3A, and when it didn't happen, she fell apart every time. Winning nationals was great! I wish she could've skated like that at 4CC and worlds too.

Kaetlyn... Gurrrl, you perform like no one else. Stop doubling your jumps! *cries*

blue_ice

On the Ice
Let's admit that Canada doesn't have anyone compatible to Japaneese, Russians or Americans (and Koreans in junior) in ladies field.
Unfortunately. Osmond is artistic, but no jumps, Chartrand unstable, Mallet has potential, but jumps are not world class,Quebec girls need stabilty. Daleman can jump but no artistry or charisma, dull skater.
Aurora Cotop? Still junior, no 3+3 and didn't do well in last competitions Detroit and Luxemburg. Great potential but lucks technique.
Emily Bausback and Tamura skate like juniors, need lots of work on artistry and skating skills.
Clean Chartran will beat clean Daleman. Wish them both luck!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IMO, Mallet, who will be 22 in November, should have reached her "potential" by now. She doesn't have either a consistent 3z or 3t+3t, and if she doesn't have them by now, she is unlikely to get them later.

I don't agree that Daleman is dull, without charisma. I saw her live at Worlds, where she finished 8th (same as Osmond in 2013), and she had loads of pizzazz in both SP and FS. Gabby is 18 and has plenty of time to develop further.

OTOH, Chartrand looked like a deer in the headlights at Worlds, and skated like one, too. It's a good thing if she's putting that 3a on hold. Considering the extra deduction points for more than two falls, it's become too costly to try exotic jumps in competition. Somehow, though, she doesn't seem to believe in herself as much when she is not prepared to try it---hence her half-hearted efforts at 4CC and Worlds.

I saw Kaetlyn's FS and I agree La Boheme doesn't really suit her. Her music is using two Mimi arias with Musetta's waltz in the middle. The beginning is Mimi's first meeting with Rodolfo and her aria about herself "Mi chiamano Mimi", and the last part is Mimi's death aria as she succumbs to TB. IMO, Kaetlyn would do better with an extended version of Musetta's Waltz and leave out Mimi altogether. Kaetlyn is far more like the flirtatious, strong-willed Musetta than the gentle, tragic Mimi.

I wouldn't be overly concerned with the doubles at Wild Rose as Kaetlyn may have been concentrating more on the overall choreography than on the execution of the jumps. Clearly she was completely comfortable with the SP, as that was done flawlessly. BTW, I also thought the Piaf medley was reminiscent of the La Vie En Rose SP from last season.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Thanks 4everchan. :thank:

I think everyone who's watched any skating in at least the past season knows the Canadian ladies don't outrank the top Japanese, Russians, or Americans. Though Gabby did rank higher than Mao in the SP. (Questionable PCS there too...) If in doubt, please review the results of the 2016 World Figure Skating Championships.

Aurora just won the novice title this year. This is her first season as a junior. She just turned 14. Aurora is special in that she went from juvenile straight to novice. No time at the pre-novice level. Kinda like skipping a grade in school. There are some senior ladies who are struggling to do a 3-3, so if she can get a stable one as a junior, she'll be on her way. She needs to skate like a junior right now because she is one.

Emily Bausback and Sarah Tamura are also juniors so there is nothing calamitous about them skating as such. Emily is 14 and Sarah 15 and both have time to develop further with Joanne McLeod. She did guide Emily to learn all her triples in 8 months.

It'll be interesting to see who, if anyone, steps up on the JGP. St. Gervais is in two weeks and Olivia Gran should be there.

Gabby not only has arthritis, but also plantar fasciitis & tendinitis in her right foot.

If Gabby were dull, I don't think she'd ever finish top 10 at Worlds. But she did. She gets huge height and distance on her jumps. She's sassy skating to tangos. Maybe not everyone's cup of tea, but the judges aren't displeased.

Have you all seen the clip from Alaine's FS at Minto?

Skatergal101

On the Ice
My problem with Gabby is that, she only ever skates to tango type music. She needs to expand what she is skating to, to stand out, IMO.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I shudder to think Bausback and Tamura are being guided by Joanne McLeod. McLeod previously "guided" Mira Leung to no avail. She doesn't teach proper axel technique, which you can see in Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten. Fortunately, Nam Nguyen's parents got him away from her before she was able to teach him bad habits!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
she taught sandhu... look at his gorgeous 3A ;)

honestly, Mira was an odd case.... and I wouldn't base any judgment on Joanne based on Mira.... Sandhu and Mira were her first elite skaters.... She managed to make out of Kevin a great quad guy... let's wait before judging her... I have a feeling that she has grown as a coach with her own students growing...
I shudder to think Bausback and Tamura are being guided by Joanne McLeod. McLeod previously "guided" Mira Leung to no avail. She doesn't teach proper axel technique, which you can see in Kevin Reynolds and Jeremy Ten. Fortunately, Nam Nguyen's parents got him away from her before she was able to teach him bad habits!

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
My problem with Gabby is that, she only ever skates to tango type music. She needs to expand what she is skating to, to stand out, IMO.

Didn't she skate to Vivaldi's Four Season in the 2014-15 season? Her SP last season is a jazz piece by the way.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kevin URs many of his jumps, quads included (URs were also a problem with Mira) and he gets edge calls on his lutz.

Sandhu was just an all around better skater, although a somewhat inconsistent one. He was talented enough to survive McLeod's inadequate teaching skills.

As you say, Mira was probably a lost cause because of her interfering mother. But Kevin might have turned out to be a much more successful skater with a better coach. And Jeremy Ten, too.

One of the problems with McLeod's coaching was that when her students didn't get high scores from the judges, she criticized the judges. This is not a good example to set for young skaters, because they need guidance as to how to improve their skating. If they disregard the judges' opinions and just do as their coach says, their scores won't improve.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
well, i hear what you say. I have a suggestion : can we wait and see ? HAHA...
Kevin URs many of his jumps (also a problem with Mira) and he gets edge calls on his lutz.

Sandhu was just an all around better skater, although a somewhat inconsistent one. He was talented enough to survive McLeod's inadequate teaching skills.

As you say, Mira was probably a lost cause because of her interfering mother. But Kevin might have turned out to be a much more successful skater with a better coach. And Jeremy Ten, too.

blue_ice

On the Ice
she taught sandhu... look at his gorgeous 3A ;)

honestly, Mira was an odd case.... and I wouldn't base any judgment on Joanne based on Mira.... Sandhu and Mira were her first elite skaters.... She managed to make out of Kevin a great quad guy... let's wait before judging her... I have a feeling that she has grown as a coach with her own students growing...

Speaking of Joanne MacLeod , I have great respect for her work, she can teach jumps from scratch and be a top coach at the same time. Often we see top coaches taking someone else's credit. Would we have Nam without her? Or Roman Sadovsky without his childhood coaches? Or Gracie without Alex? Joanne is an awesome jump coach :love: who can actually produce and teach how to jump.
Canadian coaches, take a note!
Stop drinking coffee and start to work!