Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes: A look back | Golden Skate

Kwan, Lipinski, and Hughes: A look back

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well three different skaters - different body types and all sensational at a young age.

What I wanted to focus on was the huge difference in popularity between Kwan and the two young Oly gold medalists. Much discussion over the years because Kwan had longevity.

I was thinking about how both these skaters seem to exit from amateur skating with a phenomenon I can only call -- the price of beating Americas sweetheart -Michele Kwan. I saw Tara in an interview in her grand home talk about the press not liking her and that she was treated poorly by some people- it was never said if it was the older skaters on tour with SOI or the SOI brass- but Tara did say she had never been so poorly treated in her life. I recall she became a very good pro as she grew up and I enjoyed her pro skates. I think she was wise to quit after her meteoric rise and she won all there was very quickly and she had good reasons to turn pro. Unfortunately we did not get to see such a young phenom defend her title and had she maintained her jumps I think it would have been amazing to see these 3 Americans - and Irina- go after that gold in Salt Lake. Tara Sarah and Michelle were real competitors. None of them had a reputation for being intimidated by other skaters.

Recall young Sasha in her debut at seniors in Nationals and then two very good skates in 2002 before she was really on the international map. I think she could have won the bronze had she had the cred with the judges. But if Tara had competed- I wonder how she would have been judged had she continued on as Sarah did? Was Sarah hedged harshly? I thought so. Maybe she should have received higher marks.

But here is my point. People acted like Sarah's and Tara's successful and history making combos were a fluke and that Michelle was so much better artistically. She was the American favorite at both Olympics and I recall much vitriol directed at Tara and then Sarah because they fairly beat Michelle Kwan. Kwan was more humble and her personality sweet and I think her Asian delicate beauty set her apart. I don't ever recall Michelle saying anything that annoyed skating fans and her little girl sweetness was noticed in Norway when all eyes were on Tonya and Nancy. Neither of who people liked and the press really skewered Nancy for really minor remarks. She did not get love from the press either despite her leg being assaulted. It was strange how they jumped on her for nothing- our girl- while toasting the poor waif like orphan- until she started sabotaging her own life and image. How responsible was the press for taking Tara then Sarah down a peg? Or were we skating fans whomswelled in huge numbers after the whack responsible for hating all things not Michelle. Tara was cocky I read. Peggy intoned with something different in her voice that Sarah post 2002 was a different skater. Hmmm I thought.

I know Sarah took advantage of so many opportunities and wasn't trained and her looks changed - she put on weight. My only memory of her subsequent bid at Nationals and Worlds the following year was i thought she was judged harshly. I haven't watched those skates in a while but I can't help but think both these Olympic gold medalists paid a price for being a bit cocky at times but they beat Michelle and skating fans did not want that in either Olympics. At least not we American fans. I don't know how the rest of the world covered it.

What are your feelings about the backlash and dislike Tara got from the press and her older SOI peers that seemed to push her away from skating for more than a decade. And was Sarah Hughes scarred in a way when people said her gold was a fluke because she never won a national or world title? Could her unfinished skating career in her mind have possibly derailed her from finding where she wanted to be career wise? I read they had a support group kind of - Olympic athletes whomachieved. I got the impression Sasha and Sarah belonged to this elite little group.

To me both these people beat Michelle Kwan fairly at those Olympics but they paid a price and never became beloved like Peggy and Dorothy and earlier stars like Tenley Albright ans Carol Heiss.
I think they felt hurt because neither one has ever talked about the fact Michelle was beloved so quickly and they were not. Quite the opposite really in retrospect. Actually I think Tara did mention in that long ago interview at her beautiful southern beach home that the press liked Michelle a lot.

I think lastly Sarah did her self a disservice by competing when she really wasn't totally focused post Salt Lake. I got the impression she was angry at her scores and felt they were unfair. I recall very low harsh scores and she flounced out of K and c with Robin at her heels. These memories float back.

For those with better memories of the scoring at the Nationals in 2003 and worlds how did you see Sarah by then against a very prepared Michelle Kwan who won her 5th world title I believe.

Thoughts about the cost paid by beating the Kween? Was it a real thing or am I being overly sensitive to how both were treated when they deserved more respect given the achievement at such young ages...

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What I wanted to focus on was the huge difference in popularity between Kwan and the two young Oly gold medalists. Much discussion over the years because Kwan had longevity.

I was thinking about how both these skaters seem to exit from amateur skating with a phenomenon I can only call -- the price of beating Americas sweetheart -Michele Kwan. I saw Tara in an interview in her grand home talk about the press not liking her and that she was treated poorly by some people- it was never said if it was the older skaters on tour with SOI or the SOI brass- butbTara did say she had never been poorly treated in her life.

Do you have a link for the interview, or was it on a TV network? I'd like to see it.

I read a book (or maybe saw an interview?) years ago in which Tara said that when she joined SOI, the problem was that she didn't have any age peers. She said Katia Gordeeva would play ball with her, and Katia said that the same thing had happened to her, when she was on tour and only 15 or 16, everyone was older than she; and even Sergei hung out with other friends. Katia was left lonely, away from home.

It may be that Tara is now able to talk more freely about the experience. She was lucky that she'd never been treated poorly up to that time, but she was home schooled and tutored. I do feel for her, because that is not a fun thing to happen at any age; it hurts, and it must have been a shock. To be OGMedalist, on top of the world, and then so sad. :sad21:

I'm out of time right now, but I want to mull over the question of your thread.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well All I recall is Tara on the couch. She was young sitting in her mansion. There are a few tapes perhaps on letissia skates but it's summarized in her Wikipedia biography. The press didn't like Tara or her mother and Tara was well aware Kwan was media darling. Christine Brennan's book Inside Edge is revealing as to how journalist skating insiders saw Tara as opposed to Michelle. Tara had so many haters back in the day. I think it was jealousy mostly.

I must say looking at that mansion what kind of money did she make on SOI? It is an incredible property. She should get married there. Perfect place.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Ok dork alert!!!!!!!! Sorry youngin's but, older people, do you remember when Tara was on the show "Still Standing?" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oRFD5LZ6sc

All of my "industry" friends knew that I was into skating and they all called me. However, NOTHING compares to Rudy's appearance on "Will And Grace"

Last edited:
However, NOTHING compares to Rudy's appearance on "Will And Grace"

Unless it's Michelle Kwan on The Simpsons:

http://67.media.tumblr.com/af42c53f81c01017a2dd351bb7cb83a4/tumblr_n47ysiLEAI1rjwynao1_1280.jpg

Or on Arthur the Aardvark:

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-s...13/1/11/17/enhanced-buzz-610-1357944533-2.jpg

About Tara, there were quite a few articles and interviews back then about how she felt lonely and homesick because all the SOI cast were a decade or more older than she. Reportedly, she made sort of a breakthrough when she did a duet with Scott Hamilton where they were two clowns mirroring each other. The routine went over well and she and Scott bonded better, after which she had a happier time in the show.

I wish I could find a photo that was once published showing Brian Boitano, Michelle, and Tara on the COI bus traveling between shows. They were all sound asleep, with Michelle leaning on Brian's shoulder and Tara leaning way over on Michelle. :love:

Speaking of skaters on TV, I just saw Kristi Yamaguchi on Celebrity Family Feud. One of the questions was, "We asked 100 married men. Fill in the blank: Sometimes I think my wife is going to ______ me to death." Kristi's dad said, "love." Kristi's husband said, "spank." They were both up there. Kristi won $25,000 for her Always Dream Foundation.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
Well All I recall is Tara on the couch. She was young sitting in her mansion. There are a few tapes perhaps on letissia skates but it's summarized in her Wikipedia biography. The press didn't like Tara or her mother and Tara was well aware Kwan was media darling. Christine Brennan's book Inside Edge is revealing as to how journalist skating insiders saw Tara as opposed to Michelle. Tara had so many haters back in the day. I think it was jealousy mostly.

I must say looking at that mansion what kind of money did she make on SOI? It is an incredible property. She should get married there. Perfect place.

And not only does she own that mansion in SC, she also owns homes in LA AND Manhattan.

noskates

Record Breaker
From what my old brain can remember, there were many documented incidents where Tara acted like a spoiled child, threw tantrums and treated her mother like a slave. I believe her father stayed in their home town to work while Mom went with Tara to train. Perhaps that is what some people remember versus the fact that Michelle was always the ultimate professional even at an early age. Who knows.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It seems like this thread was created to almost blame Michelle for Sarah, Tara, and Sasha not becoming bigger stars. The tone seems to be a bit...goading people to condemn Kwan, to put it mildly. I know that's not your intention, but it seems there's some harboring of resentment for the difference in popularity and legacy Kwan has to the other skaters you listed.

IMO, they all had the same opportunities to capture the public attention, but Kwan had popularity that was unprecedented for a non-OGM winning figure skater. I think for a while, her name was spoken with the same sort of name recognition as other big American athletes in bigger/more popular sports. I remember articles from mainstream sports media saying her name in the same breath as Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Karl Malone, Tiger Woods, a budding Serena/Venus Williams, etc. What helped was that Kwan kept going in high-level, Olympic-level skating and dominated (did not place lower than 2nd in major competition from 1995-2003 and then lower than third in 2004), and she wasn't controversial, and her skating simply resonated with a lot of people (both hardcore fans and casual watchers). That said, she had her fair share of detractors too and periods where the media turned on her (like during her slumps, Frank split, later career stagnation (especially from some hardcore Sasha fans who wanted her out of the way), controversial Torino selection where probably faced the highest level of unpopularity, etc.).

I guess you have a point though about Tara feeling overshadowed by Michelle, despite winning the OGM. Case in point: Tara's mom made a huge public scene in front of journalists on the White House lawn during a post-Nagano event when she found out Michelle Kwan was chosen as Picabo Street's replacement to give then President Clinton the Team USA Olympic jacket. She thought it was yet another slight to Tara. I can't help but think Pat Lipinski's resentful attitude towards Michelle wasn't an isolated incident and probably fed into Tara's feelings towards her rival. Such as during the post-Nagano LP press conference, a journalist asked Tara if she liked Michelle, probably trying to fan the flames of the rivalry. There was an uncomfortable pause and Michelle piped up "I like you Tara" which broke the awkward silence but didn't go unnoticed. Despite Tara being more well-spoken and not prone to talking in abstract terms the way Kwan could, Kwan was media savvy and conscious of her role in the public. Maybe a part of the Lipinskis' feelings were attributed to feeling as if Kwan's success or any success she had was at the expense of Tara, which IMO, is the wrong attitude outside of direct competition. From this thread, it seems you buy into that as well and further apply it to Sasha and Sarah.

Interesting to note, a lot of this stuff was used as ammo during the horrible Tara/Michelle online fan wars. If you thought Yuna Kim v. Mao Asada fans were dirty or if any online fan war is bad now, it's nothing compared to the Tara/Michelle wars. Those were really bad and seriously nasty.

Oh well, at least Tara and Michelle seem to get along now. In a recent Tweet, Tara said she heard her name being screamed at some airport, and Tara turned to see who was calling her and it was Michelle and said that they embraced each other.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well I liked all three- wasn't in fan wars. My point was have others thought there was a price to be paid for beating the favorite girl? I think it is a clear yes. Sarah was marked so lowly in 2003 it was like the judges sent a message to her. Or two messages. What do you feel about how the Oly Gold medalist was treated? I heard she did not fulfill her COI contract because she was supposed to skate last and it did not happen.

Both these ladies should have been celebrated from fans to USFSA brass for winning the gold. I think they were sidestepped in history- only Kwan makes the greatest lists seldom Lipinski nor Hughes. Just observing. I think they both made history and were phenoms.

Yet no one seems to remember them s such.

Last edited:

Spiral

Final Flight
If I remember right, I thought Hughes was judged rather harshly at Worlds the year following the OG, but not at Nationals where she won silver. So I think it was the international judges rather than the US ones or USFSA that wanted to send her a message, not because she beat Kwan at OG, but because she won OG without having ever won Worlds or GPF - she wasn't even a National champion. I thought it was unfair to Hughes, but personally I also thought that it was easier for her to win OGM than it would have been for Kwan, Slutskaya or even Cohen, because Hughes was 4th after the SP and didn't hope to win, plus she was the third number on the US team, so there wasn't anywhere as much pressure on her as on the other ladies. I think that's why a fair number of people thought her win was a fluke, and why the international judges turned against her the following year. I'm not saying she didn't deserve to win, or that the judges' reaction was justified, but I don't think it had anything to do with her beating Kwan specifically.

As for the fans, I think figure skating fans generally don't love skaters for their medals, or even their technical prowess, but for how their skating makes them (fans) feel. I'm sure most people will agree that artistically Kwan was far superior to both Hughes and Lipinski, even if they could do combos she couldn't. Cohen was artistic, but inconsistent, so she had fans, but not as many as Kwan. Keep in mind that people don't choose which performances to remember.

Reg. the attitude towards Lipinski at SOI, I remember her saying that she began experiencing problems with her hip soon after the OG and couldn't do that much technically, and that there was some resentment towards her because of that, which I thought very unethical of the SOI management.

Reg. the attitude towards her by USFSA and consequently by the US sports press, Brennan wrote in her book that USFSA wanted her to stay after Nagano, while she didn't even go to the following Worlds (in the US!), and so they went with Kwan, who was the future of the US ladies fs and wouldn't have thought to miss the home Worlds (or any Worlds, I think).

However, I don't really feel sorry for either Hughes or Lipinski, because they both benefited enormously from their OGMs, and could really do what they wanted with the rest of their lives. So I'm happy for them: they achieved a lot in sport and can achieve everything they're capable of in their post-sports careers.

Last edited:
…and [Michelles's] skating simply resonated with a lot of people.

And she lived her whole life as if a child were watching. Still does.

Interesting to note, a lot of this stuff was used as ammo during the horrible Tara/Michelle online fan wars. If you thought Yuna Kim v. Mao Asada fans were dirty or if any online fan war is bad now, it's nothing compared to the Tara/Michelle wars. Those were really bad and seriously nasty.

Maybe not, though. In the days of "Terrorworld" (Tara World), the fan wars seemed to be between children who delighted in thinking up elaborate schemes to kidnap or murder Michelle on the day before a competition, etc.

The disputes between Asada fans and Kim fans were more along the lines of re-fighting World War II, getting revenge for the treatment of Comfort Women, debating which country, Japan or Korea, was the scum of the earth, and things like that.

skateluvr said:
I heard she did not fulfill her COI contract because she was supposed to skate last and it did not happen.

COI was a commercial enterprise. Michelle was money in the bank. Tom Collins was not required to stoke anyone's ego or assuage anyone's hurt feelings. Skate, cash your paycheck.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Well I liked all three- wasn't in fan wars. My point was have others thought there was a price to be paid for beating the favorite girl? I think it is a clear yes. Sarah was marked so lowly in 2003 it was like the judges sent a message to her. Or two messages. What do you feel about how the Oly Gold medalist was treated? I heard she did not fulfill her COI contract because she was supposed to skate last and it did not happen.

Both these ladies should have been celebrated from fans to USFSA brass for winning the gold. I think they were sidestepped in history- only Kwan makes the greatest lists seldom Lipinski nor Hughes. Just observing. I think they both made history and were phenoms.

Yet no one seems to remember them s such.

In the post-Olympic COI tour, Sarah certainly closed the show and was used in all the advertisement material. The USFS tried promoting Sarah (they promoted her since at least 1999) when she signed up to do Skate America in the 2002-2003 season, but she dropped out last minute and Kwan became the last minute replacement. After her SLC, Sarah was certainly a media darling for a while. A lot of media outlets showcased her, Rosie O'Donnell did a video montage of Sarah's golden moment and highlighted Irina, Sasha, and Michelle making mistakes, she made a lot of appearances, and even did a pro-am competition where she was considered a headliner. But she disappeared from the skating soon-after to do other endeavors and thus from the public spotlight. Kwan, who had a long career before Sarah won gold and who Sarah looked up to, continued for another Olympic run. That kept Kwan in the news. Let's face it, a skater's career during that and this period is all about Olympic-level competition and less about post-competition tours and advertisements. It's not the same setting as Fleming, Hamill, or even Yamaguchi. Same thing in gymnastics. Gabby Douglas had renewed interest, negative and positive, once she made appearances in high-level competition again. Nastia and Shawn both tried comebacks which reminded people of who they were, and they sort of use their friendship to get themselves back onto the news and their Olympic-related activities (commentator for NBC for Nastia and Yahoo sports analyst for Johnson) is what keeps them in the news.

Right after Nagano, I think Tara and Michelle both had the same amount of fanfare and media attention. Tara used her gold to really push her image and career. The issue was that Kwan enjoyed unprecedented amount of success in the sport that made both of them famous. Kwan staying eligible and competing and winning at the highest levels of the sport is what made her what she is today. Do you think Serena Williams would be as talked about if she "only" won the grand slams she won once in a short period of time? No. She became what she is now because she has kept competing and winning (and losing and coming back from big losses). If your career is sport, having a long career in sport is where your bread is buttered.

In the end, you can't make fans embrace a skater over another. Some things cannot be manufactured, and Kwan's fanfare, though obviously taking advantage of the post-Tonya/Nancy interest in skating and being media savvy, came from an authentic place that came from her actual skating and ability to perform and win. In the end, it was all about the skater and their skating. Same reason why Kwan's skating didn't speak to others and why some just didn't get her popularity. Trying to find excuses as to why the other three weren't as popular seems to be forgetting that and instead trying to place the blame of Kwan and her fandom as if she prevented them from being embraced. If it wasn't Kwan, the people who didn't embrace Tara, Sasha, and Sarah still wouldn't have embraced them anyway due to whatever it is that prevented them from doing so, just like how a lot of fans of those skaters never embraced their rivals. The rivalries may have made it worse or made people jump into a "ship" but it doesn't take away from the fact that their skating/personality/whatever just didn't draw them in.

As to being on the Greatest of all times list, there's usually other tangible and intangible qualities that go into that sort of subjective ranking. Winning one competition isn't in itself enough or having one good season it seems. Do you think Evan Lysaceck should be on the GOAT list? Maybe you do, but a lot of people don't because of those same factors that may make people not want to put Sarah in there. Tara, seems to be thought a bit more highly than the other two because of her charismatic skating, her serious competitive nature, and her ability to hit on multiple occasions. Of course Kwan tends to be on the list because she dominated for so long, so it's considered a long career at the top, AND again, it's her skating that makes some people willing to put her on the list.

Also, I don't think Sarah was judged harshly at 2003 Worlds. She showed up to Worlds in worse shape than she was at Nationals (where she beat Sasha for the first time at Nationals), and her jumping flaws were more egregious that season. Plus, maybe there was some resentment from the international community who thought Irina was robbed in SLC due to Sarah's high SP ranking (some could make the case she deserved to be 8th-10th there) and ignoring her huge flutz and some UR jumps. Sarah was able to hide those when in shape, but when she wasn't in her best competition shape, the jump issues couldn't be ignored as easily as the jumps were more laborious. Despite all of that, Sarah still placed 6th overall, which was pretty good for the performance she gave and compared to her competitors even if Cohen fell on a flying camel in the LP.

Last edited:

rugbyfan

On the Ice
I think that Spiral is right. I think that Michelle Kwan had such beautiful moments in her programs that you simply could not help but remember them. I so loved Lu Chen's 1996 program that Michelle had a lot of work to do to win me over, but she did so in part because you could freeze-frame (mentally) portions of her program and they just stayed with you. In particular her spirals as part of the program package stand out. Tara and Sarah Hughes didn't have that quality. I really enjoyed Sarah's winning program largely because of her joy but it hasn't stayed with me, and I have never felt inclined to rewatch a whole Tara program although I have watched some of her combos. Michelle's programs had such a quality that even for someone who frequently cheered for one of her opponents (e.g. I loved some of Slustkaya's programs), I came to lover her. I can't think how many times I have watched her Fields of Gold and Red Violin. The other's programs were simply not that iconic.

brightphoton

Medalist
Most laypeople don't even know who beat whom in skating, so I don't think anyone dislikes skaters for beating other skaters in competition.

The laypeople I know still remember Dorothy Hamill. One of them even had the Hamill haircut in her youth.

I suspect Dorothy was popular and had longevity because:
  • She skated well and had exciting, engaging programs
  • She was attractive. "Hot" Youtube commentator points out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwyKm-4-nwA
  • Charismatic personality. "Adorable" as another Youtube commentator points out.
  • "Genuine" smile. You know what I mean. Some people's smiles just look more natural and sincere
  • Optional: Iconic haircut

I'm not going to talk about in which ways Tara and Sarah didn't stack up ....

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
.... COI was a commercial enterprise. .... Tom Collins was not required to stoke anyone's ego or assuage anyone's hurt feelings. Skate, cash your paycheck.

For a commercial enterprise (such as COI), it is not as simple as "Skate, cash your paycheck."
What it really is: "Skate in accordance with the terms of your contract, cash your paycheck."

If the management of a show or tour does not live up to the terms of a skater's contract (such as a guarantee to skate last), then it is a breach of contract on the part of management.
And it would be nothing unprofessional for a skater in turn to walk away. Strictly business. Nothing to do with egos or feelings.

(IMO, even if management had given only a verbal agreement, and then reneged on the verbal agreement, it still would not be unprofessional for a skater to walk away. Still strictly business. Still nothing to do with egos or feelings.)

I'm speaking in generalities. (I take it from VIETgrl that Sarah Hughes did skate last for COI.)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
The poster who mentioned Serena made a great point. Serena is STILL around and she has played professional tennis for TWENTY years! Kwan was so well loved because of her longevity. Tara and Sarah were pretty much flashes in the pan to most people.

WRT post-Oly Tara, she (and her mother) made quite a few missteps. One thing that annoyed me was in the same year, Tara was on a Barbie box being all little girly and then later that year was in a commercial for retirement funds saying she was retired. So obnoxious, and it probably confused the general public.

WRT Sarah, well, she let herself go. She was noticeably heavier the next season which accentuated her awkward and ugly skating.

For a commercial enterprise (such as COI), it is not as simple as "Skate, cash your paycheck."
What it really is: "Skate in accordance with the terms of your contract, cash your paycheck."

If the management of a show or tour does not live up to the terms of a skater's contract (such as a guarantee to skate last), then it is a breach of contract on the part of management.
And it would be nothing unprofessional for a skater in turn to walk away. Strictly business. Nothing to do with egos or feelings.

(IMO, even if management had given only a verbal agreement, and then reneged on the verbal agreement, it still would not be unprofessional for a skater to walk away. Still strictly business. Still nothing to do with egos or feelings.)

I'm speaking in generalities. (I take it from VIETgrl that Sarah Hughes did skate last for COI.)

Quite so, quite so.

I am trying to sweep the cobwebs out of my brain and try to recall what actually happened. Is this right? Sarah did skate last, but (at the insistence of her father) did not want to sign a contract obligating her to do the full tour. In the shows that Sarah did not skate in, Michelle skated last. This made Alexei Yagudin mad. He was OK with skating next-to-last with Sarah last, because they were both Olympic gold medalists. But he felt dissed when a mere bronze medalist was given pride of place over him.

Something like that.

(I think the tour had 90 stops that year. If it's Tuesday it must be Toledo. Michelle did 90 performances of Fields of Gold. :love: )