Problems with spinning ... need help | Golden Skate

Problems with spinning ... need help

frostfeather

Rinkside
A rather noobish question but I'm desperate for replies...
My coach and I have been trying to get me spinning (for months now).
Two foot spin: I can only do 2-3 rotations also when you are supposed to keep your left leg stable and pull the right one in, I tend to pull the left leg to the right.
One foot spin: Well... I can't. I get on my toepick a lot (bc of small feet idk??) also when you switch from forward outside edge to backward inside, I flop out of the spin :|
P/s: I notice right before pulling into a spin people slow down on the forward outside edge entrance. How do they do that??
:thank:

Last edited:

FlowerGarden

Spectator
I've learnt two foot spin only.
My coach told me to turn my head to left when spinning. Otherwise, the body can't keep up with the leg.
BTW, I started with toepick on left foot and my left foot won't be pulled to the right...
I'm also working hard on it~
Hope this help:)

frostfeather

Rinkside
Hi FlowerGarden!
I am also taught to turn my head left but I keep forgetting (also the knee bend :p)
And please come back to help me when you start on the one foot :luv17:

skatespin

On the Ice
Initially learning how to spin is hard, the problem is finding the "sweet spot" on your blade and getting comfortable turning on it. The sweet spot is usually towards the front of the blade just behind the toepick. When you are trying to do a one foot spin you should put your weight on the front of your blade. It is correct to spin very near the toe pick, you just dont want to actually be on the toepick. Figure skating initially feels so unnatural, that to learn things you have to push yourself to where you may feel very uncomfortable and almost doomed to fall. Spinning is something that comes naturally eventually or is something that is very unnatural for some skaters. It can also be affected by your blades, very low level blades can be fairly flat and have less of a rocker which makes it harder to spin. I remember when I first started I had Jackson Mystiques and I picked up stuff pretty quickly when beginning so I need to switch to Jackson Freestyles after 2-3 months. The Mystique blades are no good for jumping and not much better for spinning, so I'd also check and make sure the equipment (skates) you are using are suited to your level. You should be able to do a two foot spin on almost any figure skate. You should also be able to do a so-so one foot spin on almost any type of figure skate, but for anything above i'd start making sure the blades match the level correctly.

Last edited:

frostfeather

Rinkside
Hi skatespin :) firstly thanks so much for the reply
My coach bought the skates for me so although I have no idea what blades they are, I suppose they are fine. Or maybe you can help me find out what my blades are.
Also may I ask if having small feet means its harder to find the sweet spot? Because I get on my toepick on two foot spin (no one foot for me yet) like almost constantly...

sneakypie

Rinkside
You could try to familiarize yourself with the profile of your blade, by rocking back and forth on them (on the ice) as slow as you can while standing. Feel where the stable places are, what muscles are used to hold and control those positions. Do you do 3-turns? If you do, do they sometimes "scratch" because your rolling too far forward and scrape your toepick. If that is the case work on not scratching them. Doing lots and lots of 3-turns could help you find the "sweet spot".

My next bit of advice would be to work on your core. I did two months of pilates while my rink was closed for repair and went from a wobbly look-I-managed-to-eke-out-an-entire-second-rotation to ripping off 6 rotations in my two foot spin (Complete with my facial expression going from "Wheehee, I'm Spinning" to "How do I stop?" to "Did I really just do that", my group class best buddy laughing hysterically and Serious Coach saying "Good job. Now you just need to work on your exit").

Since you have trouble pulling your right leg to your left one, have you ever tried spinning to the right? Do you have a preference in other turning-elements (for example is the left or right outside 3-turn easier for you)?

FlowerGarden

Spectator
Hi frostfeather~

I've searched tutorial of two foot spin before and it talked about the part of blades we should use:
for left foot, fore part and inside
for right foot, rear part and inside
Before I watched the video, I always use the "sweet spot" on both feet.
After I watched the video, I still can't do it well as I usually forgot this:palmf:

BTW, how did you start trying two foot spin?
At the beginning, my coach ask us to get the turning power by pushing the wall(?) of the rink.
May be you can try this and get the feeling first~

frostfeather

Rinkside
Hi FlowerGarden! So nice seeing you here to help me again!

I tried that method too, I still scratch my left toe pick on the ice... :(

I learned two foot spins by sitting on left foot and pushing the right one around, then (supposedly) pull the right leg to the left (which I usually do the opposite...)

frostfeather

Rinkside
Oh and my coach always says I must turn my head left (look at the left shoulder) but I can barely do that on turns. Any suggestions on how to make that seemingly impossible task easier?

cl2

Final Flight
Hi FlowerGarden! So nice seeing you here to help me again!

I tried that method too, I still scratch my left toe pick on the ice... :(

I learned two foot spins by sitting on left foot and pushing the right one around, then (supposedly) pull the right leg to the left (which I usually do the opposite...)

It will be easier to comment if you have a video if your spin. That said, have you tried this: as you go into the entry and at the point that you are ready to spin, think of rising up on your left leg. The rising should be done through the knee, keeping the ankle firmly flexed (not extended/pointed, otherwise you'll hit the toepick). That way, your weight is on your left side and your right foot will naturally be drawn to your left.

frostfeather

Rinkside
Hello cl2!
I dont have a video of my spin sadly, its just too hard to record one in a small rink with too many crazy people 😐

As to your suggestion, thanks a lot. I'll try that when the rink reopens.

FlowerGarden

Spectator
Oh and my coach always says I must turn my head left (look at the left shoulder) but I can barely do that on turns. Any suggestions on how to make that seemingly impossible task easier?

I've heard of a method which may help. It's called "visualisation".
Here's the reference:

I usually use this method off-ice as I can go to the rink and practise once a week only( and it takes about 2 hours...)
In my experience, it did help! I had more confidence and clear mind when I did the moves.
:cheer:

Katie J

On the Ice
I dont know if you want some advice of someone who learnt one leg spin without coach ?

Do all without using force or having bad tension in the body ( bad tension: when you dont stand correctly, you want to compensate with tension to hold you).
Try to be centered before, shoulders down, stance only out of the hips -you ever felt if you pull up a shoulder ( bad tension) ? (I did)
Push the leg you want to stand and rotate on forward, dont let it under your body. If you push forward, all in your body is relaxing and you feel when the entry circle ends much better as if you leave it under your body ( like this Japan Skater does in the second video below).
Imagine you want to sit on this leg you pushed forward.
Leave shoulders over hips ( I rotated shoulders faster).
You may look to the left ( in case you want to do a left stand pirouette), but dont use the "pulling look" = overpull the upper body to the left because you want to go to left, so that right side gets longer, left side is pressed down ( I did, a coach wanted that I looked left and I began with this "pullling", if you do that the pirouette is not centered, it doesnt feel light).
Stay on this entry- circle till you feel its ended, you feel that: It doesnt want to go further, then up...maybe you rise up too early, put the toe pick too early ?
As I never had a coach I don't consciously use the toe pick, more important for me is finishing this entry - circle and my toe pick is getting from itself into the ice.
These are the basics for me, how to rotate open, and after a while bring the free leg in see videos below.

The other skaters: Beat me if I am wrong. Today I had after a 6 month break my first day on ice for this season and with that technique I centered left one foot spin.
And to frostfeather: Good luck for you.

Oleg and Ksenia Videos Nr. 59 and 62:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8lEtYzjSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1l74crJTSU