Edea Piano Skates | Golden Skate

Edea Piano Skates

skatespin

On the Ice
I wanted to know if anyone has tried the Edea Piano boots? I wear the Edea Ice Fly. I like how they are moldable so that I can stop my narrow heels from lifting and I also like that they are lightweight. What I do not like about the ice fly is the insole and footbed. I have high arches and my feet would hurt badly, especially my heels. I got different insoles. Tried superfeet yellow, they were a little better but not enough. I bought a customized insole at a store that sells insoles and orthotics early this year. These have helped, especially with shock absorbency, heel height, and pain is reduced.

I am getting along okay with my skates, but technically I still feel pain usually on the ball of my foot and front of arch. I think sometimes i'll get heel pain as well. I've grown accustomed to this so I usually just ignore it and forget about it for most of my practice time. But I know that something is still technically wrong and in the long-term I should find a solution to be more comfortable and also so I don't cause harm to my feet.

I don't want to go back to traditional skates, because I have always struggled to find a pair where my heel won't lift once the padding in the skate compresses a little. So I feel that getting another traditional boot will just be a waste of time and money. I have tried both Jackson and Riedell. With those brands I have never had insole problems. I had considered custom skates prior to buying edeas, but I heard a lot of negative feedback from people who have ordered them and they didn't fit so a new pair would be made and those wouldn't fit either.

I heard the Piano was supposed to address some of the common issues that the Ice Fly has. There is not much feedback about the Piano online and not many skaters are using them. I usually only see maybe 1-2 people with them at the rinks i've been to. Also, the skate fitter I once used is gone. I know what size I would buy, but I don't have a reputable boot fitter to ask about their opinion on the Piano and if it would work better for my feet. I don't know if getting a better insole can solve my problem, because the insole I have now should fit my arch pretty well. I believe there is something about the Edea Ice Fly foot bed (it's very flat and hard) that is causing the pain and an insole can only do so much.

If anyone has any feedback about the Edea Piano or solutions for my foot pain I would really appreciate it!

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Probably there's not a lot of feedback on the Piano yet because they're designed for the top level skaters. I don't think I've seen a pair in real life, only in the instagrams of Kailani and Gracie.

I feel like you should try the insole anyway, even if you're not sure it will work. I mean, what have you got to lose? Buying an insole that doesn't work is surely better than buying a whole new pair of very expensive skates that may not work!

skatespin

On the Ice
Probably there's not a lot of feedback on the Piano yet because they're designed for the top level skaters. I don't think I've seen a pair in real life, only in the instagrams of Kailani and Gracie.

I feel like you should try the insole anyway, even if you're not sure it will work. I mean, what have you got to lose? Buying an insole that doesn't work is surely better than buying a whole new pair of very expensive skates that may not work!

There is no insole for me to try that I know of. I wouldn't buy new skates until my current Ice Flys break down though. They are a year old already so I am expecting that by year end I might be forced to buy new boots and I want to know what kind to go with. The Ice Fly is about $100 cheaper than the Piano but they are both super expensive so its not really a matter of cost if I have to stick with Edea.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
There is no insole for me to try that I know of. I wouldn't buy new skates until my current Ice Flys break down though. They are a year old already so I am expecting that by year end I might be forced to buy new boots and I want to know what kind to go with. The Ice Fly is about $100 cheaper than the Piano but they are both super expensive so its not really a matter of cost if I have to stick with Edea.

No experience with the Piano, I'm afraid, but I wonder: it sounds like you didn't have problems with your feet before you got these skates. Now you have pain in the ball of your foot, heel, and front of your arch. It may be that however well these skates hug your heels, they don't fit right otherwise. It sounds like you're knowledgeable and experienced, but you said you no longer have a trusted fitter and you bought inserts at a specialty store. Have you thought of consulting with a podiatrist who specializes in sports medicine (and preferably is experienced with skaters) about the pain you're experiencing? Or called Edea to ask them about it (and the Piano)? Is it an option to travel to an experienced Edea fitter?

loopy

Final Flight
There is a really nice description in the most recent US Figure Skating magazine. I don't have it in front of me and just skimmed, but here is what I remember:

Stiffer
the heel is cupped so it doesn't move as much
more flexibility - it said the reason there are 7 slots on the side is for the different notes on a piano
allows for less impact with jumps
something about the padding?

If I can I'll edit this when I have my copy with me.

jf12

Final Flight
I've had my Pianos for about 4 months. I was in Jackson Elite 4500 before. I was considering both Ice Fly, and Piano, and I felt that Piano fit my foot better after trying both. In the Jacksons, I never really had arch pain - now in the Pianos I get about 5 minutes of cramping at the start of a session. It helps if I stretch my feet and arches before I put them on.