2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info | Golden Skate

2018 U.S. Nationals in San Jose, CA, Info

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=89908&type=media

U.S. Figure Skating announced the selection of San Jose, California, as the host city for the 2018 Prudential U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Dec. 29, 2017-Jan. 7, 2018. The 2018 U.S. Championships will serve as the final qualifying event prior to selecting and announcing the U.S. Olympic Figure Skating Team that will represent Team USA at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games. Competition and practice will be held at SAP Center at San Jose and Sharks Ice at San Jose.

And woah, look at the date -- Friday, Dec. 29 - Sunday, Jan. 7! Way earlier than usual and over New Year's Eve weekend. Probably so the Olympic Team that is chosen has as much time as possible to train.

Event website: http://skatesanjose2018.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I might go to this. Great time of year to take a vacation out west, especially in the dead of winter.

noskates

Record Breaker
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY - at last a venue West of the Rockies again. Went in 2012 and it's a great place to see skating. Except for the nosebleed seats it's hard to get a really bad seat. Our only complaint was the lack of variety in the food until the weekend. Got real tired of hot dogs and pizza. I know many people gave the same feedback - just like in Boston - so you could at least get a salad or some kind of sandwich.

The weather in late December and January can be cold and rainy but never any snow.

I'm really excited about this!!!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. When do tickets go on sale?? My credit card is ready. Max...........I'll see you in 2018 and I hope to get your autograph.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
This makes me so happy! Finally somewhere easier for us west coast people to get to!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not that I have gone to Worlds in the Northeast or Nats in Carolina, ;)but

Too bad, so sad, not even a direct flight from the airport closest to me (and that airport takes an hour and a half to get to).

Have fun, West Coast peeps!:yay: No ten hour trips for this gal....

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY - at last a venue West of the Rockies again. Went in 2012 and it's a great place to see skating. Except for the nosebleed seats it's hard to get a really bad seat. Our only complaint was the lack of variety in the food until the weekend. Got real tired of hot dogs and pizza. I know many people gave the same feedback - just like in Boston - so you could at least get a salad or some kind of sandwich.

The weather in late December and January can be cold and rainy but never any snow.

I'm really excited about this!!!!

Three Points. One. They let us bring food in early in the week. Two. There is lots and lots of great restaurants close by...three...Yes, we lucked out on good weather the last time...but you used the word "cold"???
https://weatherspark.com/averages/31616/1/San-Jose-California-United-States

I will take 50-65 for a high with only a 30 percent of some kind of precip any day of the week over Spokane!

noskates

Record Breaker
Bummer! Arena Hotel just sold out...all 89 rooms...only two blocks away, free big breakfast, hot tubs....tear falls.....probably a tour group got it....

NOt sure how that can be since they're only accepting reservations through June 2017.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
NOt sure how that can be since they're only accepting reservations through June 2017.

How Odd. I tried the official website, which let me put in the dates, and they said it just sold out....then I tried the Pacific hotels website and they said rooms were unavailable for those dates....guess I need to contact the hotel directly. Thanks! One thing is for sure, if you are right, its gonna be a gold rush when they open the dates. The other hotels that are taking reservations are charging one arm and two legs and a quart of blood...I think that Epipen company must have bought them! OK, so not funny. Bad Chris, no donut.:noshake:

temadd

Final Flight
How Odd. I tried the official website, which let me put in the dates, and they said it just sold out....then I tried the Pacific hotels website and they said rooms were unavailable for those dates....guess I need to contact the hotel directly. Thanks! One thing is for sure, if you are right, its gonna be a gold rush when they open the dates. The other hotels that are taking reservations are charging one arm and two legs and a quart of blood...I think that Epipen company must have bought them! OK, so not funny. Bad Chris, no donut.:noshake:

Most hotels only book 1 year ahead. So it is telling you there are no rooms available because they are not booking yet. Try in December or January.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Most hotels only book 1 year ahead. So it is telling you there are no rooms available because they are not booking yet. Try in December or January.

Oh you bet....they are so far ahead of the other hotels you can easily save a grand by staying there....

- - - Updated - - -

Terrible thought. What if they split the seniors like they did in Spokane? Not good, Kemo sabe.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Terrible thought. What if they split the seniors like they did in Spokane? Not good, Kemo sabe.

They won't based on the dates. It's only a week long -- Dec. 29 and Jan. 7.

As for me: Trying to see if I can blend this with a trip to Hawaii, which I had been looking into prior to this announcement.

Last edited:

Bag of Goldfish

Rinkside
Well, hey, I'm looking forward to meeting you, after reading your posts!

I don't live very far away so maybe I could have a GS meetup at my house. It was fun meeting people in Boston.

mrrice

Record Breaker
http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=89908&type=media

And woah, look at the date -- Friday, Dec. 29 - Sunday, Jan. 7! Way earlier than usual and over New Year's Eve weekend. Probably so the Olympic Team that is chosen has as much time as possible to train.

New years eve in San Francisco will be very busy. Hotels will be easier to find in cities like Morgan Hill and Los Gatos. The Amusement Park Great America is located very close to the San Jose Airport and they have a huge Marriott Hotel as well a couple of others, right next to the park. With the opening of Levi Stadium ( Where the 49ers play ) there have been several new hotels added to the area and I'd suggest that you check with Trivago guy.....;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcwhBya2FyM

matcha

Medalist
They won't based on the dates. It's only a week long -- Dec. 29 and Jan. 7.

As for me: Trying to see if I can blend this with a trip to Hawaii, which I had been looking into prior to this announcement.

I love Maui I want to move there :love: